Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

fsx scenery repair question - basic

Somehow messed up my scenery in western north america. Things are all over the place. For example,. When I go to cyvr, I load an airplane on the active runway , but when the sim starts in that position I have trees in the middle of the runway.When I start in Portland or Seattle , I do the same and start on the active runway but my aircraft , trees, buildings etc are all floating 20 feet above the ground and the trees are surrounding me.Now so far I have only had this problem in the West- North America. But even this is odd as airports such as slc.lax las are all working fine. I cant recall adding any scenery to this area but somehow I screwed it upHow do I go back to original fsx scenery without rebuilding fsx from scratch. Are there files available for this function. I did try a repair on fsx -accel and it did not fix the issueThoughts. Peterfsx sp1 sp2 accel

I don't know if this will help, but if you have ANY scenery for anywhere in the world then disable all of it in the FSX scenery menu. Airports, terrain, the lot. Then Load a flight in the problem areas and see how things look. If they look normal, then re-enable half your add-ons and see if the problem comes back. If not, disable those ones and re-enable the other half and check again. If one group or other seems to give you the problem, then disable half the suspect group and check again. Keep dividing and checking the suspect group until you find the culprit. It is quite possible for a scenery area to give problems thousands of miles away.Of course, I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Regards,

PD

Guest firehawk44

Philip has a good suggestion but it looks like you are having layering problems. I do not know what you have installed as addons. UTX can create this type of problem if located near the top of your Scenery Library. UTX has several updates too and you need to make sure all are installed properly. The Setup config program can repair some airport and scenery anomalies. UTX should be located just above Propeller Objects. MyTrafficX issues AFCADS for hundreds of airports that overwrite any AFCAD issued by an addon (or FSX) so that their AI aircraft can takeoff and land properly. If you have that program, you should disable any relevant AFCAD located in the MyTrafficX/Scenery folder OR make sure the addon is located below any other addon. The developer recommends renaming the AFCADs but there are hundreds. There also could be corruption in your working Scenery.cfg located in C:/Program Data/Microsoft/FSX folder. You should open it up and make sure the layers/areas are numbered sequentially. Do you have an addon installed for Portland or Seattle? Really can't do much more for you without knowing what you have installed.Best regards,Jim

Well well well. its a bit of a complex answer because I have tweaked and played around with this current build allot.I had orbx ( i think that is what it is called ), rex, mytrafficx, AVE as well as airports 3 , ASE.So my install is actually very far from original. I only recently noticed this corruption in the north west.Maybe it happened along time agoThe thing is i have disabled allot of the entries I had in the scenery lib. ( I have an entry called north america - west , or something like that) but i dont recall if that is original.I have no idea what would happen if I just disable everything I see in the scenery lib and then add them back slowly. Im not sure i have the patience for that. I was hoping that I could just completely reinstall or at a minimum just reinstall canada or north americaThank you for your thoughtsPlease let me know what you think of these ideasPeter

Guest jahman
...I have no idea what would happen if I just disable everything I see in the scenery lib and then add them back slowly. Im not sure i have the patience for that...
There's two things we all learn with FSX: Fliying and... patience! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.

Hello Peter,You seem to have disabled the default terrain scenery for Western North America, thus removing flattens, autogen exclusions, and even default airports.Simply try re-enabling that layer.If you have Acceleration installed, then the default layers are something like 1-120 and you should not disable those unless you know what you are doing and you are sure to never fly in the disabled areas. Since normally scenery in distant parts of the world is not even loaded, there is really not much reason for disabling default scenery.Best regards.Luis

More infoI think I have isolated the issueI installed ORBX FTX demo for the north west , I also installed mytraffic xAlthough I uninstalled all of the entries from scenery lib, the scenery.cfg and from within the mytraffic scenery viewer. I still have a mess with respect to the pacific north westI suppose my question is . can I delete the scenery.cfg file and will it rebuild itself with currently installed product in the same fashion as how we can rebuild the fsx.cfg file, maybe this will give me a clean scenery filethoughts.Peter

Guest firehawk44
More infoI think I have isolated the issueI installed ORBX FTX demo for the north west , I also installed mytraffic xAlthough I uninstalled all of the entries from scenery lib, the scenery.cfg and from within the mytraffic scenery viewer. I still have a mess with respect to the pacific north westI suppose my question is . can I delete the scenery.cfg file and will it rebuild itself with currently installed product in the same fashion as how we can rebuild the fsx.cfg file, maybe this will give me a clean scenery filethoughts.Peter
I have never done it but was told it is possible. You can also copy the scenery.cfg located in the same folder as your fsx.cfg. If you delete the working fsx.cfg, it will rebuild the basic or default scenery.cfg. You will then have to reinstall your addon scenery or add it manually. In other words, it will not go into all your fsx folders and rebuild all the addon scenery. That would be a nice option though but I would think it would be a nightmare for someone to come up with a program like that.Best regards,Jim

I tried it, deleted the scenery .cfg file , but still have the corruption. I think it is an old add on I installed fix , but i can't seem to remove or find the old files Peter

Just go into your scenery library and make sure "Propeller Objects" and everything below it is checked. Then un-check everything above Propeller Objects and run the sim. If you still have the problem then you know there's something wrong with the default files. If the problem is fixed, then you know there's something messed in your add-ons. In that case take Philip's advice with the half by half method of narrowing it down to which scenery is causing the problem. You should be able to narrow it down simply by checking/unchecking the boxes, you won't even need to restart the sim.Jim

HI JIm, thanks great advice. well i checked out my install per your post above. Per your instructions there is a problem with the base files. So now i need to figure out how to repair the base scenery files in fsx. Thank and this is my next challenge. let me know if you have any idea on how to repair a base scenery file