My CPU is Intel i7.920 @2.67 Ghz. Would this be suitable in combination with a 580GTX CARD?Regardsanamiv

The 580 is maybe a bit of an overkill for that CPU. GTX 560 TI or something comparable would be better. And you have some money for new addons! :smile:

Hi Anamiv, no it wouldn't. The GTX580 GPU is an extremely high end card and although it would work OK it would be completely over the top in the way of performance via cost. In other words, for the cost of the card you wouldn't see it's benefit due to the CPU being unable to take full advantage of it. FSX places most emphasis on the CPU and not on the graphics card, therefore, I would thoroughly recommend getting maybe something like a GTX470 or similar (GTX560?) and using what cash you save to invest in a better CPU. Failing that, why not OC your existing CPU and use the money for getting a cooler and less expensive card. Just some ideas... if you invested in the GTX580 and use it with your current system, I think you would be very disappointed.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

For an long time I had an GTX 260 (Changed to the GTX 560 SC some weeks ago and couldn´t hardly see any difference.) and my results were about 43 FPS in FSXMark11, so GPU isn´t the big point here.

For an long time I had an GTX 260 (Changed to the GTX 560 SC some weeks ago and couldn´t hardly see any difference.) and my results were about 43 FPS in FSXMark11, so GPU isn´t the big point here.
It is when you care about graphical quality. Throw some heavy AA and AF with high resolution clouds and the 580 shines (or 560 over the 260 in your case). That is if you have the money to throw at one.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Hi Rockliffe,ok... Could you please recommend either the GTX470/GTX560Ti plus a suitable CPU?In browsing I see the GTX560 has a noise and heat problem.IRegardsAnamiv

Hi Rockliffe,ok... Could you please recommend either the GTX470/GTX560Ti plus a suitable CPU?In browsing I see the GTX560 has a noise and heat problem.IRegardsAnamiv
Hmm, I´ve got the EVGA GTX 560 SuperClocked and so far it´s working at a very low noise level. When you fly FSX you won´t hear anything. The temparatures are also alot lesser than the GTX 260, arround 60°C when flying FSX. These problems seem to be from the first ones.

Hi Anamiv, recommending specific hardware for people is a very subjective thing. I had the GTX470 before the 580 and it is a very good card, but it runs quite hot and can get noisy if you try to OC it. The 560Ti is a much newer (better?) card and is already OC and I suspect that would be a better bet. I am unsure about the heat and noise problem, I suggest a few more questions around here should return you some conclusive answers. As for a cost effective CPU, then IMO there is only one and that is the i5 2500K if you only want to use FSX, however, if you run PC games and CPU intensive programs then the i72600K maybe a better bet, as it has hyperthreading. The i5s are very well priced and run smoother than their predecessors. I have this CPU and it has about 25/30% more performance than the i7 950, and it is smoother also. You are asking about a CPU, then this would be the choice of probably most guys around here. It mainly depends on your motherboard though, as it is the newer socket 1133 (I think) as oppposed to the older 1366 which ran with the quad i5 and i7s. So it depends on your budget and whether you can afford a motherboard also. But to be honest, you can get bundles now which include the MB and i5 for a very reasonable price. There are guys around here with more hardware experience than me, so I'm sure you'll get some good answers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Hi Rockliffe"Subjective advice"........ yes I understand, so many compilations viz specific choice for purpose!However. I very much appreciate your advice; you have been most helpful. Thanks!My regardsAnamiv

HiI am wondering if a GTX280 is a good graphiccard to i5 2500K?Best Fredrik

Computer: Windows 10, 64-bit, Intel i9 - 10850K, Asus Rog MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI), 32GB RAM, Asus RTX3070

Game control: Home Cockpit, Keyboard, Saitek Pro Flight X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. 

HiI am wondering if a GTX280 is a good graphiccard to i5 2500K?Best Fredrik
Hi Fredrik, I have no direct experience with the card, but to be honest I think if you want a great card, then my personal experience from having the GTX470 and the GTX580 I would highly recommend the GTX 560i. I wish i had saved myself some money and got that card rather than the 580. I think there is an awful lot of 'going with fashion' in simming. The great thing about GPUs is of course they are a doddle to upgrade, unlike CPUs and MBs! As Zach pointed out, the higher cards will handle AA and AF a lot better than their cheaper counterparts, so don't just look at framerates, which is going to be very limited anyway, it's also about the quality of the image on the screen. wink.png

Howard

HiI have gtx280 with i7 920 but change to gtx560ti but now I have determined to sell the old i7 920 with the gtx560ti because the result was not so better than the gtx280 together withi7 920. I will build a new i5 2500K system and I have decided to keep the gtx280 and maybe buy gtx580?I do not think I will get better peformance with a gtx580 than gtx280, look at: http://www.hwcompare.com/9188/geforce-gtx-280-vs-geforce-gtx-580/ but what do you think about it?I may will save the money for buy a VrInsight CDUII panel to my PMDG 737NGX!Best Fredrik

Computer: Windows 10, 64-bit, Intel i9 - 10850K, Asus Rog MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI), 32GB RAM, Asus RTX3070

HIWhen I have had change to GTX560ti instead of GT280 I did not see any benefit in performance ok just little more smother than with GTX280. That was with i7 920!I am useing the Matrox THGO2 3x22" at 5080x1050. My question is. Will I see any benefit in performance with a i5 2500K system with a GTX580 than GTX280?I will test the GTX280 first than buy a GTX580 when the card is much cheaper when the next generation of graphiccard is out!If you want to buy a PCIe3 card you need also change your cpu to a 22nm and that cost you another 4000 Sek!Best Fredrik

Fredrik, if you have the i52500k and a choice of GPUs running three monitors then IMO there would be only one GPU to consider and that would be the GTX580. There are the 1.5Gb and 3Gb cards, the 3Gb would probably be more suitable with running three monitors due to the extra memory. I have no experience with three monitors but understand this to be the case. The GTX280 is a low end card and the 580 is in a different league. As was pointed out by Zach earlier, in FSX the main benefits from hi end cards is not necessarily to gain extra frames, as this is mostly minimal, but to get better quality graphics, AA and AF

Howard

Thank you for your answering, it can be a good adea to wait until spring?!What do you think about the 1,5GB is that enough? Someone else maybe know?(If you want to buy a PCIe3 card you need also change your cpu to a 22nm and that cost you another 4000 Sek!)PCIe3 or not is the next question?I think to buy a PCIe2 motherboard because if you buy a new cpu you won´t sell it in spring and loose money for a more expensive cpu, is not worth it? What should you do?If you buy something you will probably keep it for at least three years so in my situation is best to buy the Asus P8Z68-V LX and GTX580(1,5 or 3GB?) and save money to a VrInsight CDUII!Fredrik