Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

How much should a customer take.

Hi everyoneJust had another unpleasant response to a genuine question at the FTX forums this afternoon and its far from the first time this has happened.I suspect my response to JV in their support forum will dissapear into the ether just like others critical of him but wanted to see if others think my reaction is warranted.There are several small areas in their Australian scenery that have been left with no texture at all. With this in mind I asked if they would consider releasing a patch to give these areas at least some sort of generic coverage. Does this really sound like too much to ask??I get a response that in the end says they will try and put something there in a future update (hope you dont mind if I dont hold my breath waiting for this), but its the tone of the response from the proprietor of the business that completely loses me.Off the top of my head I think I have about seven of their scenery products and in general have had a good experience.I dare not say anything about their Brisbane scenery which I KNOW causes many people issues with more demanding add on aircraft. You simply get CTD approaching the area from south or north and I have given up flying these demanding types into the area as I know what is the likely result is. I quite frankly don't care what they say, I believe there is a definately an issue with that particular product.We get claims that it is our set up that is causing the issue yet other areas work just fine with the same add on aircraft.Today, I ask your opinion in how much of this garbage should a customer really be prepared to have dished out in response to a civil question.I was looking forward to a couple of their releases in the future, in particular Alice Springs but I think I am through with FTX, its the attitude from their support or lack of it that totally loses me.CheersBarra

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

You're being a bit overly sensitive, Bluey: I'm sure it is a large issue for yourself, but in the grand scheme of the OrbX expansion across the world - it is a tiny little blip: I'm surprised that JV even replied. You got six pretty reasonable and moderately concerned replies to the question - even one from the guy that did the original work suggesting he will do this for you after the holidays.From JV:

The scope of the original FTX AU BLUE region never intended to include ports and infrastructure along the vast expanse of urban coastline and we represented as best we could with the small team we had at the time.You tone of the original post did strike me as slightly offputting and thus my terse reply.We did have plans at one point to make CityScape Perth by Jarrad Marshall but the cost of imagery was prohibitive at the time. Now that new sources of data have become available we can revisit Perth and Freo and look to add a CityScape product as intended. We have no timeframe for that project but are looking at resources for it as we speak.
From Martin Lott:
All we need now are 3d models of cranes, sheds and other clutter placed on top of the concrete textures ( as JV pointed out above). I'm happy to do that in my spare time after the Christmas festivities are over.
These guys are human beings, and they are allowed to have personalities, personal problems and yes - sometimes - mood swings. People will often respond in exactly the same way that you approach them.Attutude Attitude Attitude. There's a great saying I always remember - "Don't sweat the small stuff". Try it, and get rid of the chip, Bluey; it's just a hobby, and you don't have to buy a darned thing from OrbX if you don't want to. Just fly somewhere else... oh yeah - and also "Honey works a lot better than vinegar". wink.png

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Well said Paul. In other words:If you want to make a friend, be a friend. If you want to make an enemy, be an enemy. Most of the time we all get back pretty much whatever we put in, don't we?Kind regards,

I learned a long time ago that "attitude determines your altitude." That means that our actions, feelings, and moods determine how high we will climb in the ladder of success.Since every action has an equal and opposite reaction, then our attitude will determine the attitude of others.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Some really wise words, guys. Really. thumbsup2.gifThis is a very similar lesson to the one I learned and, actually, am learning all the time.Also remember sometimes even if you show the best possible attitude on your side, you will hit a concrete wall of human characters.But even then do your best to stay calm. I had a few unfortunate cases of losing my calmness, both in some Internet fora and real life. Looking back, I regret all of them today.Everything you do, say or write leaves an inerasable trace, not only in your memory but also in everyone involved, including silent witnesses you are not even aware of (just think of web users!).Barra, just like Paul wrote, it is just a hobby.We need to take it from a distance wink.png (not that it is always easy).peace-sign-coloring-pages-3.jpg

I have never had a problem with JV over at ORBX, I find there support to be top notch as well as there products, maybe you caught one of them on a bad day, which is cool...everyone has those. I'd say give YBAS a shot, as you will be certainly missing out if you don't.Cheers

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hi everyoneJust had another unpleasant response to a genuine question at the FTX forums this afternoon and its far from the first time this has happened.I suspect my response to JV in their support forum will dissapear into the ether just like others critical of him but wanted to see if others think my reaction is warranted.There are several small areas in their Australian scenery that have been left with no texture at all. With this in mind I asked if they would consider releasing a patch to give these areas at least some sort of generic coverage. Does this really sound like too much to ask??I get a response that in the end says they will try and put something there in a future update (hope you dont mind if I dont hold my breath waiting for this), but its the tone of the response from the proprietor of the business that completely loses me.Off the top of my head I think I have about seven of their scenery products and in general have had a good experience.I dare not say anything about their Brisbane scenery which I KNOW causes many people issues with more demanding add on aircraft. You simply get CTD approaching the area from south or north and I have given up flying these demanding types into the area as I know what is the likely result is. I quite frankly don't care what they say, I believe there is a definately an issue with that particular product.We get claims that it is our set up that is causing the issue yet other areas work just fine with the same add on aircraft.Today, I ask your opinion in how much of this garbage should a customer really be prepared to have dished out in response to a civil question.I was looking forward to a couple of their releases in the future, in particular Alice Springs but I think I am through with FTX, its the attitude from their support or lack of it that totally loses me.CheersBarra
Your remarks are not warranted!! Please to read on! You are not alone in this world. Many if not most of us are guilty of the same mistake (raising my hand!) We all spend a lot of time in our little flight sim world and sooner or later we do start to try and make that little world perfect. It is caused by some kind of weird electrons in the human brain. LOL I live in Florida and do not even know where the area is that you speak of. Let me ask you this; has it ever bothered you that Fergurson Field has never had the correct ramp and hangers?? Just something to think about.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Just remember this. It is a hobby.Most developers spend a lot of time and money developing products with very little return, they usually only have every small staff numbers for the above reason, most of them do it because they enjoy what they do.When it starts becoming an issue, where you start counting rivets on an aircraft, complaining about reflections, and gauges that dont look quiet right, about the number of trees in a scenery or the fact they are not the right type of tree, then maybe its time to quit the hobby, or maybe its time you , yourself started developing scenery , then once you realise how hard it is, and how much time and money it takes,and the fact that no matter how well you do it, there will always be someone who will complain, its this damned people thing, always want everything for free.Love the Orbx products, i know they are not perfect, but then neither am I,God Bless

Obviously it is me guys. I dont know, but I feel like I as the customer copped the attitude not the other way around and was totally the point i was trying to make. From my point of view I asked what I believed to be a legitamate question and got the attitude back.Granted it is a small issue but an issue all the same. It does look unfinished and to say thats how it looks in real life is a joke and JV knows it.Paul, I do appreciate that they said in the end they will fix it but its the attitude before they got there that is the problem. A simple "yea guys we did have plans to to something else here but its unlikely to eventuate now so we will release some generic textures in the next SP update" would have answered the question. No loss of sale, no aggrivation. Instead I get a snarl of what do you think we should put there houses trees bla bla bla. I live there as I explained, I do know whats there as I explained to JV.Is it going to make a massive difference - in the end no, but its the way JV handled things that totally loses me.I spend a lot of time in a sales management role and I value my customers and wouldnt dream of replying to one in the same manner (whether I felt it was justified or not).As the customer I will get to make the final decision on my purchases and they have lost me as this is not the first time or the only one to have copped this.Will they loose sleep over this - of course not, but perhaps they should if I am not the only one that objects to the tone of their responses.RegardsBarra

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

Barra,I have my own business too and I believe that one can't please everyone. I know I can't! I can try my best, but in the end, I might be disappointed. I think that you're taking this too personally. Lighten up and realize that ORBX has done a great job in enhancing FSX. Your feelings are part of a minority of customers who expect way too much from developers. They, ORBX. are not your friend or family member. Plus, you're not the only customer that they want to satisfy. In the end, "you just can't please everyone."

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

For many years, for me, MS had only summer textures for Australia!Peter Sydney Australia

Hi DJWhile you are certainly entitled to your opinion, I dont agree with you at all. When all is said and done, the attitude towards their customer is the problem.I do fully acknowledge that they made Australia much better for simming but wont be making any further purchases... thats my response to make in the end.Barra

Regards

Barra

I learned a long time ago it's best to seperate what's worth fighting for (so to speak), and what's wasted energy. Life is too short, and wasted energy could be better spent on something that makes us happy. Also for me what seperates a good company from a bad one is how they deal with problems. If I'm not satisfied I simply no longer give them my business. I had that issue with Captain Sim several years ago on their problematic unfinished 727 (probably still to this day), and their crappy customer service. Anyway they have never seen, nor will they ever see another penny of mine. I sleep fine at night.

Love Airplanes and American Muscle Cars

Honestly, I wonder why anyone ever feels the need to express their "feelings" in a public forum to begin with, unless they imagine that it will somehow "punish" whomever it was that they feel slighted them in some way... unsure.png

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I do fully acknowledge that they made Australia much better for simming but wont be making any further purchases... thats my response to make in the end.Barra
MMmm....a case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face.....ah well, c est la vie.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...