Sign in to follow this  
byork

Where do you see the 'Hard-Core' market in the next 2 years?

Gentlemen,I need your input.We're looking 'long-term' over the horizon, and trying to plan accordingly.Where do my loyal users see the FS Market going in the next 1 to 2 years?I just tried the X-Plane 10 demo, and while it's very good in certain areas (the night airport lighting is amazing), I don't really envision large numbers of FSX/FS9 users moving over to the X-Plane pasture just yet.As for 'Flight'... rumors abound about it... and of course we all know rumors are just that -rumors- but at this stage there seem to be more questions than answers about its viability as a replacement for the hard-core crowd that companies like FS2Crew serve.So what do you all think?At this point in time, do you see yourself sticking with FSX for the foreseeable future?

Sticking with FSX for the next 2-3 years. I will then probable move to Prepare 3D from Lockheed Martian. Prepare 3D seems to be the only simulator for serious simmers like me.Any news on FS2Crew for the 737NGX?Aaron G.

Hi BryanWhilst I still see myself using FS9 for my sim needs, I reckon FSX / P3D will be where the action is. I do own FSX, and one day I must make the change, but as I have just bought PANC, KLAX, Paderborn, Key West, MGGT, KMEM and RKSI in the last month I don't really see the need for me to switch just yet. BTW, got FS2Crew sitting right beside me in my FedEx MD-11F enroute from PANC to KMEM as we speak!I know it'd never be worth your time, but an updated MD-11 FS2Crew along the lines of your iFly 737 would have at least one customer. Whistle.gif If you don't mind me asking, how did the MD-11 FS2Crew do in the marketplace? I'm always hearing how the MD-11 never lived upto PMDG's expectations, whereas I still think it's the pinnicle for FS9.Cheers, SLuggy

PMDG will be releasing their SDK sometime next week. You'll have your FS2Crew for the NGX shortly after the SDK is released.It's been a very long wait, but not many many sleeps left.Prepare 3D is interesting, but I can't see people forking over $500 or whatever it is for a license.And I can't see Lockheed Martin keeping their developer licensing deal going when 99 percent of the people purchasing it aren't dev's. I suspect Microsoft may start complaining, especially if they are perceived as competition with Flight.

Prepare 3D is interesting, but I can't see people forking over $500 or whatever it is for a license.And I can't see Lockheed Martin keeping their developer licensing deal going when 99 percent of the people purchasing it aren't dev's. I suspect Microsoft may start complaining, especially if they are perceived as competition with Flight.
Thanks for the update on FS2Crew. I have insider info about the upcoming pricing scheme, and I can see many people willing to purchase it.Aaron G.

Hello Bryan,Yes I believe that FSX will become a legend, just as FS9 has and people buying addons want value for money and they don't get that if they continually move to other sims. Liesure time is short for almost everyone and we all value your contribution.As for X Plane, although I admit I haven't tried the latest, it has always to my mind been something missing and too muct of a cartoon to me in comparison.

Hi BryanWhilst I still see myself using FS9 for my sim needs, I reckon FSX / P3D will be where the action is. I do own FSX, and one day I must make the change, but as I have just bought PANC, KLAX, Paderborn, Key West, MGGT, KMEM and RKSI in the last month I don't really see the need for me to switch just yet. BTW, got FS2Crew sitting right beside me in my FedEx MD-11F enroute from PANC to KMEM as we speak!I know it'd never be worth your time, but an updated MD-11 FS2Crew along the lines of your iFly 737 would have at least one customer. Whistle.gif If you don't mind me asking, how did the MD-11 FS2Crew do in the marketplace? I'm always hearing how the MD-11 never lived upto PMDG's expectations, whereas I still think it's the pinnicle for FS9.Cheers, SLuggy
MD-11 did okay, but not great (remember this is by Flightsim standards, not Modern Warfare 3 standards).It was pretty good FS2Crew product given that we were working without an SDK, but the problem with the MD-11 was that a lot of people just don't care about the MD-11 itself.They care about 737s and 747s and A320... but MD-11 aircraft itself just isn't really on the radar in a lot of people's minds.

MD-11 did okay, but not great (remember this is by Flightsim standards, not Modern Warfare 3 standards).It was pretty good FS2Crew product given that we were working without an SDK, but the problem with the MD-11 was that a lot of people just don't care about the MD-11 itself.They care about 737s and 747s and A320... but MD-11 aircraft itself just isn't really on the radar in a lot of people's minds.
Well then, they're just bloody wrong, aren't they? LOL.gifCheers, SLuggy

Hello Bryan,Yes I believe that FSX will become a legend, just as FS9 has and people buying addons want value for money and they don't get that if they continually move to other sims. Liesure time is short for almost everyone and we all value your contribution.As for X Plane, although I admit I haven't tried the latest, it has always to my mind been something missing and too muct of a cartoon to me in comparison.
You should download the X-Plane 10 demo. The airport night lighting I think is really good, and in many ways it could be a contender.Austin is an amazing programmer, and he'll sell a lot of X-Plane 10's.But the user interface I think is really plain and utilitarian, and in many ways it's still behind FSX (especially with all the addons factored in).Other issue for FS2Crew is that before we could really move to X-Plane, we would need PMDG, etc., to be over there first.And that'll take a long time probably.Remember that it's taken PMDG, Level-D and the little wee guys like me, years and years to get to where we are in FSX development.It takes years of experience to get good at developing in the FS environment.With X-Plane, a lot of us are going to be starting back near square one in many ways.

You should download the X-Plane 10 demo. The airport night lighting I think is really good, and in many ways it could be a contender.Austin is an amazing programmer, and he'll sell a lot of X-Plane 10's.But the user interface I think is really plain and utilitarian, and in many ways it's still behind FSX.Other issue for FS2Crew is that before we could really move to X-Plane, we would need PMDG, etc., to be over there first.And that'll take a long time probably.Remember that it's taken PMDG, Level-D and the little wee guys like me, years and years to get to where we are in FSX development.It takes years of experience to get good at developing in the FS environment.With X-Plane, a lot of us are going to be starting back near square one in many ways.
Guys, don't start creating FS2Crew for X-Plane aircraft (default aircraft). In my opinion X-Plane just isn't ready yet. Give X-Plane 4-5 years and see what stage it is at. If I were in your shoes I would continue developing with FSX until around 2015/2015 then move to Prepare 3D. If you have ever used Prepare 3D you will know how serious it can get.Aaron G.

Well, if Prepar3d can come down to around $75 USD, and if they can make it look visibly different from FSX in a signficant way, then yeah, I'd put my money on Prepar 3D.But they're still hindered by all that legacy code... remember that Prepar 3D is still essentially FSX.Great thing about Prepar 3D is that is that all my years of FSX knowledge doesn't get thrown out the window, though.

Well, if Prepar3d can come down to around $75 USD, and if they can make it look visibly different from FSX in a signficant way, then yeah, I'd put my money on Prepar 3D.But they're still hindered by all that legacy code... remember that Prepar 3D is still essentially FSX.Great thing about Prepar 3D is that is that all my years of FSX knowledge doesn't get thrown out the window, though.
It is legacy code, but don't forget that with every release they are updating each section of the legacy code to something modern. When I run Prepare 3D with the same aircraft and scenery I get 7FPS more than FSX.

Yeah, it's going to need more than a frame rate boost though... It's going to need to look pretty, too.They should hire Austin to rework all the airport night lighting :-)

Yeah, it's going to need more than a frame rate boost though... It's going to need to look pretty, too.They should hire Austin to rework all the airport night lighting :-)
Yep, don't forget about what will happen when all the legacy code is updated. Austin should be hired for night lighting. : )

I'll stick to FSX for a while, which may well mean 'for years' as I have a ton of stuff there and it runs good enough. 2012 will bring new hardware for me, so the performance may even get better. X-Plane indeed looks nice and the Aerosoft engagement is nice too, so maybe that could become an option when switching over to a new platform. But I doubt that it will be an 'unstall FSX, install XP' switch, but more or less a long hybrid usage time.Prepar3d may enhance some older FSX techs but, currently, doesn't look like that. Pretty much FSX over there, so why the extra cost? If they set up major improvements and would still allow FSX stuff to run, without buying it twice, then it may be another option. If that would take place, I think the addons may work well with only small changes, so your FSX business would continue there.If Flight offers something nice or even supports old FSX scenery, then it would have a point though. It just wouldn't start naked, as a normal new platform does. However, even the devs don't talk (or know) that much on e. g. how MS plans to sell addon stuff for Flight. But, as we know, the addon stuff is the major 'money pit' application for us flight sim geeks. happy.pngI'm not too eager to join some strange cloud store thingy for flying and establish a constant connection to a server, watching if my shirt was changed, then forcing me to reactivate my purchased stuff. I'm also not a fan of the current DLC trends in other games. Buy the base pack cheap, but invest a ton of money to get a full game because every small 'standard' item now comes with extra costs involved. But that's a pessimistic view of course.However, I think your question comes some months too soon, Bryan. As long as the major FSX successors aren't available, the statements in this thread will stay highly speculative. X-Plane just learns to walk, Flight is still missing some legs.

Hi,been using MS FS since I've been 10 years old (that was in 2001 with FS2000) and in any case I will continue with FS. At the moment I'm just using FSX, but I'm really excited about FLIGHT. I've just applied today for the FLIGHT BETA: https://connect.micr...D=FLY-BRQX-BXTBX-Plane didn't really work for me. I've tried X-Plane 7 or 8 several years ago and it was much too complicated in optimizing it for your personal preferences. The V10-Demo had still the same "problem". If X-Plane would have a more user friendly GUI I'd give it another try.I also tried Prepar3D-Demo, but I just did not see any advantage. For me Prepar3D is just a FSX with a different GUI. The performance was pretty much the same, the operation of things like ATC was even worse than in FSX. Not an alternative for me. And paying 400$ for something I already own... well, for this money I'd rather book an hour in an Lufthansa Training Simulator...So I hope for the next few years, that FSX will still be the lead-platform for flight simulation and I'm pretty sure it will be. FLIGHT could be a good successor, but for at least 2 years I think FSX will still be the simulator number 1.

As someone said here I do own FSX Deluxe and I installed it to see but never really explored it. I am staying for now with FS9, I have so many add-ons and now to move to FSX will mean start all over again. For now to expensive :-)So, what I wait is to get more real, I know they are so many people out there working on the great add-ons that make our flights even more exiting.When I fly beside the FS i regularly use FS2CRew, AES,FS Passenger, FS Flight Keeper, TOPCAT, then VROUTE PREMIUM, what I am hopping is that maybe, somehow, someone will find a way to put all those programs together.Just Imagine:You are planing your flight and you go to VROUTE to check you flight route etc-...in TOPCAT you put all the values, then the route from VROUTE you export into the FS (aircraft flightplan, FSFK, TOPCAT (because they miss SID/STARS).Then you go to the cockpit..the info from TOPCAT are into the FS2Crew so when you get your load sheet the number are the same. You prepare the boarding with FS Passenger (numbers of pax and payload, and even route is already determined by TOPCAT) and when you hit start boarding the AES start the boarding, of course after the catering, cleaning and fuel track left the plane) so you have real pax boarding the plane...and all that is controled by FS Flight Keeper (the aircraft data, then you feed your passenger - and of course the time the cabin crew needs to serve the passengers depends also on how many pax they are serving the passenger, more pax more time, less pax less time etc..) I think if we open now a new topic and ask people if they could make an all in one add-on some great idea's would come along and who knows where we could be in 1-2 year...Regarding the air planes on the market and the sceneries we came really realistic with that, specially after Fs2Crew voice commander came along. But I think what the simmers are waiting are the add-ons like those I mentioned and those I am actually using. Also, the biggest issue (and I saw that FSX didn't change much) is the default ATC inside the FS, because you are not in the mood all the time fly on-line specially if no ATC is on-line in the region you are flying.When we talk about Fs2 Crew I only hope you want start to do things only for FSX, like some other developers do, I can't wait for example to have MD11 voice commander and maybe even Fokker 70/100 from Digital Aviation that I just bought few days ago and I am amazed by this aircraft and I am putting it just next to Maddog. Great plane, so let's hope the technology will rise up to give us details we all need to see...You know actually is all about spices now in this "meal" :-))As it's tomorrow, I wish you all Merry Christmas!!!

What I see coming is pretty simplistic, and I believe it will happen by summer of next year. 'Flight' will be released, and it will offer better performance than FSX. If it also accepts current scenery and airplane products designed for FSX, then I expect the vast majority of FSX simmers moving over to 'Flight'. If performance is not better, or if it does not accept FSX third party products, then all bets are off and most will stay in FSX. Only time will tell, but it will be fun to watch.

For the coming year or two, I foresee sticking with FSX.I recently bought a new computer that runs FSX very, very well, so I'm very pleased with the visuals and the performance of the sim. I've also invested a LOT of money in FSX payware; I can't see abandoning FSX and starting over. That said, I probably will buy Flight when it becomes available, but more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm not interested in X-Plane, by the way.

Hi,now I'm sure most people will stick with FSX. Microsoft has announced, that FLIGHT will be a free download plattform, includen some planes and the scenery of Hawaii islands. Additional content will be for sale. Release: somewhere in spring.Oh man... how is this gonna go? Will there be only MS-approved DLCs? Or will 3rd Party add ons even be possible? Will we be able to tweak or to configure FLIGHT, as we did before? I'm really disappointed by this information Microsoft gave us. Is that the end of our classical FS-era?http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/#press-takes_to_skies

looking at the flight forum id say nowhere. It seems like no 3rd party addons will be made for flight. And you would have to buy new regions from them...It doesnt seem like a sim whos main goal is realism like fs9 and fsx were, and the other earlier fs platforms. I guess all the speculation was right..so I guess its fsx for now. Which imo is finelee

Well, I think it's looking like FSX will still be the platform of choice for the 'hard-core/enthusiast' crowd for the next couple years at least.

I would agree Bryan,In my opinion FSX seems to finally be delivering the the Flight Simulator we hoped it would be with all the great addons such as FS2Crew, PMDG, ORBX etc etc that are available now.I would think there are still many users out there of FS9 (2004) which is 8 years old now so I think FSX has a long shelf life left in it yet.I don't know whether Prepare 3D is a serious challenger or is really just FSX 'Evolution' :smile:Regards Dave

That said, I probably will buy Flight when it becomes available, but more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm not interested in X-Plane, by the way.
With today's announcement concerning Flight's lack of an SDK and third-party development, limited scenery and aircraft, and gaming elements, I have to correct myself: I'm now not much interested in Flight, either.I'm sticking with FSX. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm very happy with FSX now that I have the computing power to run it well.

Flight appears to be a kiddie game for very casual users. They'll probably sell a lot, but they won't be selling to my users.As for the other options:X-Plane 10 didn't really float my boat (night lighting notwithstanding).Maybe Prepar 3D will pull a rabbit out of the hat at some point in the future.But for now, FSX is it.With the PMDG NGX, Orbx scenery, Active Sky.... and... wait for it....wait for it... FS2Crew (had to plug myself here :( ), FSX is an unbeatable combo.