Sign in to follow this  
AirbusCG

Active Sky Evolution

Hello everyone,first of all: Yes I do know that this is the NGX forum, but in a support ticket Ryan suggested me ASE so I think it's ok to ask about it here.Also I know that here are mostly hardcore simmers and so I can experct serious and realism based answers.So here are my questions:I'm thinking about getting Active Sky Evolution, but first of all I'd like to know how good it really is.So how good is the weather engine really? I've written about many features like windsheare or thermals. Do they really exist?And in this aspect I'm really interested in the thermals as I'm a real glider pilot. I already use CumulusX! for thermals in FSX, but is ASE better in producing them? And does it also create them under cumulus clouds like in real world?Secondly, how easy it this program in setting it up? Will I have to read tons of pages of the manual or can I learn it by doing?And finally: How buggy is the program?I hope for some good answersregardsEmanuel Hagen

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

HiAll I can say is ASE is good and realistic in producing actual weather in any given area. I use it all the time.Bob

If you're setting up ASE on a networked pc (which I'd recommend) it's a bit of a drag but it's well documented.Great application.

ok thanks guys. I have bought ASE now.But there one little problem blush.png: How do I load the weather into FS? In my old weather engine (the REX one) there was a button to load the weather in, but I couldn't find one in here.Anyone with the answer?

I too am in this same situation. I am looking at ASE, but unsure what works better with NGX. Rex or ASE ? I am reading and reading about what weather engine works for us better, but is is so back and forth...

William, I finally descided to buy ASE now. I have used the REX weather engine for over a year befor, so I'll be able to make a pretty good comparison I hope.I'll report how I like ASE tomorrow when I have some experience flying with it.But in order to do this someone would have to tell me how to insert the weather into FSX using ASE firstblush.png

Start ase up and let it finish, start fsx and in a few seconds it should inject the weather, thats all i do

Chris Howard

I run ASE on a network computer and it uses simconnect to connect to FSX to inject weather. I normally load up ASE first and then FSX. When FSX loads up and you see the free flight screen, you should see that the weater is set to user-defined in FSX and if you look at the ASE screen you should see a message saying it successfully connected to FSX. Once you load up the flight and setup at the gate, (assuming you are running with defaults for now in ASE) you will see a message at the top of the screen saying that ASE has imported the weather for the location you are at. I've turned off that message on my setup but that's a preference thing. There is another very detailed article in this forum on how to tweak ASE for optimal realism with the NGX, if I can dig up the link I'll post it. ASE will just do the weather part and you continue to rely on REX for the textures if you have that installed.Hope this helps.

In my experience neither is a good weather addon. I get sudden cloud/wind changes...1 minute overcast as it should be then the clouds disappear, then a few come back, then wind changes direction etcI just load a weather scenario from FSX and leave it at that. I have spent loads of hours messing around with ASE/FSUIPC options and can't get the weather to be realistic.Maybe its FSX.....maybe its me but for now I give up with either.

Thank you all for your help. I'll report how ASE works tomorrow if you're still interested William.

... I get sudden cloud/wind changes...1 minute overcast as it should be then the clouds disappear, then a few come back, then wind changes direction etc...
Graham,That is a known FSX issue. Best helped with FSUIPC. It is extensively covered in these forums.Hope it helps,

If you have REX, use the textures and get ASE for the weather engine, it's a great combo and provides a very realistic experience..

Tony Fontaine

ASE works great on my networked PC.Works with FSX (simconnect).Works with FS9.1 (FSUIPC client/registered - networking).

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW