Sign in to follow this  
strider1

To all the XP-10 haters.

I was really, really disappointed when first downloaded and played with XP-10. The UI sucks, the default aircraft are horrific and I couldn't get joystick hat switch to work correctly. I was about ready to hit delete go back to FSX circa 2006. Well I finally figured out how to program the joystick ! I bought the Carenado Bonanza to test out on XP-10 and I played with the rendering options.Wow am I impressed now ! It looks spectacular with some of the sliders maxed out !And it's only going to get better with time !I think I might be deleting FSX come Dec !So my point is give it another shot with a payware aircraft !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Fly through some light turbulence and tell me you are still happy with it, it always feels like a puppet on strings to me, being mastered by an over excited child.

Cheers, Andy.

I had sliders maxed straight off the bat, if you think it looks spectacular then more power to you, looked horridly bland, sparse and unrealistic to me. The UI is unbelievably messy, it has a learning curve of it's own that makes it inaccessible to a new user. Your point about buying a payware aircraft just to give it another try is a little ridiculous, no game should require you to buy more just to make it worth playing, DLC and add-ons should complement an already strong foundation. The fact that you say you bought an add-on aircraft and NOW find it impressive just highlights how lacking the base program is.Also just because someone doesn't want to persevere with a second rate product doesn't make them a hater. True haters wouldn't care what you argument is, haters gonna hate.

I don't hate X-Plane. Far from it, I have enormous respect for the team at Laminar Research. It's just from my own personal perspective, there's too many things about it that I don't like for me to switch from MSFS (which I've been using for many years and owned multiple versions of). I'm not fond on the graphics, even in XP10, I don't think the new scenery looks particularly real, especially with settings down lower, and there's no airport buildings. The Virtual Cockpits in most of the aircraft I've looked at are still vastly inferior to what I've seen in FSX. And its just so difficult to use, the UI is a mess and a real pain to navigate. I have a fairly average joystick, yet I still had to go and manually set most of the axis and the buttons to work properly. And I still can't get to grips with the viewpoint system, there's so many and they're so difficult to cycle through and find the best one.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I was really, really disappointed when first downloaded and played with XP-10. The UI sucks, the default aircraft are horrific and I couldn't get joystick hat switch to work correctly. I was about ready to hit delete go back to FSX circa 2006. Well I finally figured out how to program the joystick ! I bought the Carenado Bonanza to test out on XP-10 and I played with the rendering options.Wow am I impressed now ! It looks spectacular with some of the sliders maxed out !And it's only going to get better with time !I think I might be deleting FSX come Dec !So my point is give it another shot with a payware aircraft !
Isn't your reaction to want to 'delete' FSX in Dec a little premature based on one flight scenario with a payware aircraft ? Presumably you have invested heavily in FSX over the past 5 years like the rest of us. Really, XP is now THAT good that u would dump FSX?

I had sliders maxed straight off the bat, if you think it looks spectacular then more power to you, looked horridly bland, sparse and unrealistic to me. The UI is unbelievably messy, it has a learning curve of it's own that makes it inaccessible to a new user. Your point about buying a payware aircraft just to give it another try is a little ridiculous, no game should require you to buy more just to make it worth playing, DLC and add-ons should complement an already strong foundation. The fact that you say you bought an add-on aircraft and NOW find it impressive just highlights how lacking the base program is.Also just because someone doesn't want to persevere with a second rate product doesn't make them a hater. True haters wouldn't care what you argument is, haters gonna hate.
As I said XP-10 default planes suck but FSX planes and scenery looks horrific as well unless you buy add-ons. So your telling me you fly FSX stock ? How much money have you invested in making FSX look pretty ?How could it be "sparse" if you had the sliders maxed out ? Sounds like you tried it for about 10 minutes.Yes the UI has a steep learning curve and it is messy but the core engine is far superior compared to FSX !Its funny how many people wish FSX had sloped runways, volumetric clouds, cloud shadows, 3-D shadows, global lighting, HDR rendering, etc... XP-10 has all that as part of its base !!Yes there is bugs and there is still allot to improve on !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Your point about buying a payware aircraft just to give it another try is a little ridiculous, no game should require you to buy more just to make it worth playing
I dont see how default FSX is worth playing either, so really no difference in this area. Microsoft flight will probably be no different, other than Hawaii world will be probably not much better from FSX default, in case that it really includes whole world.

As I said XP-10 default planes suck but FSX planes and scenery looks horrific as well unless you buy add-ons. So your telling me you fly FSX stock ?
Yep! FSX looks ok to me. I'm sure if I buy some add-ons it will look better but that's not a priority for me. I'm not that experienced at flying yet so I see no need to buy plane add-ons until I get the hang of the default planes. FSX may have been out for several years but that doesn't mean that everyone bought it then.When Flight is released I'll wait for the reviews and decide whether to buy it. Ditto XP10. It appears that the XP10 demo is being touted as a beta but from the few threads I've read it seems more like an alpha in terms of performance and game features. Apparently performance enhancement as well as feature culling and optimisation are yet to take place.I second other people's comments that 'haters' is an incredibly strong word to use for those who are not necessarily impressed with XP10 as it stands. 'Sceptics' or 'doubters' would seem more appropriate.

Give people power to really test their personality.

My plan is to have both running in December.... abandoning FSX at XP10 release wouldn't be prudent.

As I said XP-10 default planes suck but FSX planes and scenery looks horrific as well unless you buy add-ons. So your telling me you fly FSX stock ? How much money have you invested in making FSX look pretty ?How could it be "sparse" if you had the sliders maxed out ? Sounds like you tried it for about 10 minutes.Yes the UI has a steep learning curve and it is messy but the core engine is far superior compared to FSX !Its funny how many people wish FSX had sloped runways, volumetric clouds, cloud shadows, 3-D shadows, global lighting, HDR rendering, etc... XP-10 has all that as part of its base !!Yes there is bugs and there is still allot to improve on !
Yes you are right, I maybe gave it an hour at most. Sparse probably wasn't the correct word. Empty? lifeless? sterile?IMO FSX stock planes are far better than what is on offer in the Xplane demo. When FSX was released back in the day I did play it stock, and for the time the visuals were amazing, I've spent a lot on add-ons since but that's only because the base program kept me interested long enough to want more. I want to emphasize that it is only my opinion but vanilla FSX looks as good and is far more user friendly than my experience with X-plane. I might also point that when you say FSX default planes are no better, that we are talking about a game that came out in 2006.I wonder though; why are you getting so defensive about it? what do you have invested in this to get so annoyed with other peoples opinions?

no game should require you to buy more just to make it worth playing
Except for FS9 and FSX! laugh.png

I dont see how default FSX is worth playing either, so really no difference in this area. Microsoft flight will probably be no different, other than Hawaii world will be probably not much better from FSX default, in case that it really includes whole world.
do you realize that FSX (default) is 6 years old! So what's the point?

do you realize that FSX (default) is 6 years old! So what's the point?
Yes its 6 years old, but I dont honestly believe that any future MS flight (if its actually going to be whole world simulator), or any other future microsoft product will be very enjoyable by default. Better quality yes, but you will still need to buy addons to come level of detail that FSX has with proper addons. Also I do not believe that default planes will have very complicated systems and such included as then all more mainstream gamers would go away.

Yes its 6 years old, but I dont honestly believe that any future MS flight (if its actually going to be whole world simulator), or any other future microsoft product will be very enjoyable by default. Better quality yes, but you will still need to buy addons to come level of detail that FSX has with proper addons. Also I do not believe that default planes will have very complicated systems and such included as then all more mainstream gamers would go away.
Well there you go, you are basing your argument on some very limited assumptions, do you really believe MS is aiming to produce something that is not enjoyable by default?? Come on...

Strider, why did you post an X-Plane topic here? The MS Flight forum is not an X-Plane forum. That's why Avsim has an X-Plane-specific subforum...

Brandon Filer