Sign in to follow this  
worldclassleader

Intel Core i7 3930K 4.8GHz w/FSX Quick Review

Hi everyone,Just wanted to share my experience in using Intel's latest hexacore processor, the 3930K.I thought the Core i7 990X was brilliant for FSX, but the 3930K just blows everything else away, including the 2600K/2700K.First, here's an overview on my system specs:

• Intel Core i7 3930K
  • ASUS P9PX79 PRO
  • ASUS ENGTX570 DCII (2 in SLI)
  • 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, 16GBs in Quad Channel (4GB per stick)
  • 64GB Crucial M4 SSD (OS and productivity software on this only)
  • 1TB 5400RPM Western Digital HDD (running FSX and games on this HDD)
  • Cooler Master 1200w PSU (80 plus gold)
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
  • Sharp Aquos Quatronn 40inch LED 1920x1080
  • FSX w/Acceleration, GEXe, REX, PMDG 747x and 8i, MD-11, and 737 NGX.

Performance:Typically, with the 2600K at 5GHz, and when starting a free-flight from Chicago's O'Hare airport and with most sliders set to medium, unlimited FPS, and weather set to "fogged in" or "building storms," my average FPS over the city and airport is about 30FPS. Other notable settings: None of the following enabled: "Airplane casts shadow on itself and the ground," "flare." Job Scheduler/Affinity is set to 255.In contrast, with the 3930K, I can enable all of the features that typically tax FPS and lower the performance, plus, I can max out all of the sliders and still achieve "fluid" gameplay and average 30/40 fps under the most demanding conditions; when FSX is "taxing" the CPU. You can just imagine what it's like under fair weather conditions, but with "auto-gen" and other sliders maxed out! Overall, I can't believe how fantastic my flying experience is. I think this is what the developers envisioned with this simulator. It's unfortounate that it took a number of CPU evolutions spanning several years to finally achieve this level of game play. (my affinity mask for the 3930K is set to 1344 in my FSX config file)Lastly, based on all my other benchmarks, the 3930K is essentially the 2600K with 2 additional cores; the performance increase is in direct proportion to the additon of two cores.Hope this helps, if you have any suggestions on modifying the FSX config file or have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.Jacob

I am thinking of building a new pc
Hi Fernando,I'm a systems buidler in the Chicago land area...I've built a number of systems for use with FSX for various customers. I've never experienced this level of performance in FSX. It's amazing. However, you can achieve this level of gameplay by lowering specific sliders and negating other eye candy features with many CPUs out there; but with the 3930K and of course the 3960X, you can enable just about everything, and stil achieve a fluid flying experience at a resolution of 1080p. This CPU rocks!

From a purely gaming stand point, 2011 isn't worth it over 1155.For gaming, there best price/performance option Intel side if the 2500k, neither the 2700k or the 3930k are worth the premium for gaming.
That makes sense. In fact, one can argue that even an Core i3 will do "just for gaming."However, FSX is a different game, and as you know, a CPU hog..lol...The 3930K out-performs every CPU I've tested to-date in FSX and does so remarkablly well. We can debate cost vs performance all day, but the purpose of the OP was just to [briefly] share my performance results for those who may be considering purchasing this processor. I searched the web many times over but couldnt find any sort of review that included the 3930k/3960x with FSX.

That makes sense. In fact, one can argue that even an Core i3 will do "just for gaming."
I found this interesting and very informative comparison of the i7 3930K versus the "newest" i7 3960Xhttp://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/32648-intel-core-i7-3930k-sandy-bridge-e-cpu/Huge price differential aside, I think this quote sums up the reasons for choosing the "lesser" i7 3930X compelling:
Understand, too, that supporting the 3930K's case for purchase is the fact that both SNB-E chips share the same Turbo Boost 2 .0 function - up to six bins, depending upon load - and a multiplier-unlocked status, enabling the enthusiast to jack-up the ratio for easy-as-pie overclocking. It's this unlocked status that makes a mockery of the default specifications, as far as tinkerers are concerned, because Intel's shipping 3.20GHz speed is rendered practically irrelevant by hiking up the multiplier to, say, 40x.
I'll be keeping my eyes on this processor (and especially pricing!)... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My wife would kill me, and hide my body if I ever spent $1000 on something smaller than a Ritz cracker.I want it.....

That makes sense. In fact, one can argue that even an Core i3 will do "just for gaming."However, FSX is a different game, and as you know, a CPU hog..lol...The 3930K out-performs every CPU I've tested to-date in FSX and does so remarkablly well. We can debate cost vs performance all day, but the purpose of the OP was just to [briefly] share my performance results for those who may be considering purchasing this processor. I searched the web many times over but couldnt find any sort of review that included the 3930k/3960x with FSX.
I want to buy that CPU but the price is very high, I think I am going to wait for the quad core version of it

Thanks for the review. Sounds promising. Been thinking about the X79 platform myself. Do you have any add ons by ORBX. Would love to know how your machine tackle PNW seattle with all sliders max.

Hello Jacob,I am happy to see that the new CPU seems to be performing as much as you expect it to. Would you be so kind as to take the time to run the standard FSXMark11 Benchmark tests that have accumulated significant objective comparative data on CPU/GPU packages, as it directly relates to FSX?

If so, please insure that you follow the detailed setup instructions exactly as outlined, so that any results will be consistent with the established objective testing parameters. This will help insure that we can add and track the new CPU's exact FSX performance as other SB-E examples are tested, as they relate to each other and other SB versions, as well as different and previously tested setups. Please go to the AVSIM hardware section for more information at http://forum.avsim.n...other-hardware/

Looking forward to reviewing your results as they compare with other similiar units that will be tested in the coming days and weeks. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Could you post your "proc speed" from the fsx.cfg?
Here you go: "ProcSpeed=9267"
hi do you use any AI traffic add-on and whats its density?
Currently, I have AI Traffic set to Default. I didn't try altering those [density] settings yet, but thanks for pointing that out; will give it a shot and see how the system copes with it.
Thanks for the review. Sounds promising. Been thinking about the X79 platform myself. Do you have any add ons by ORBX. Would love to know how your machine tackle PNW seattle with all sliders max.
I don't have ORBX installed yet, but planned on installing more add-on's tomorrow and will follow up. ;)

"Here you go: "ProcSpeed=9267"I think that speed is from before you overclocked, could you delete just that line from the config and let it load again, it should be much higher.It won't make the whole config rebuild, it'll just redo that line.

Just seeking a cost benefit analysis here. I have an I52500k for $180 and since I bought it I have overclocked it to 4.6 ghz. I have noticed a massive improvement for every .1ghz I have increased my clock speed. I am curently getting 20fps at a minimum with all sliders maxed and every add on on the planet except UT,FE and a few others and flying the PMDG NGX with 10 cloud layers in ASE under heavy weather at FreeZ Zurich. Not trying to brag at all here but I am wondering about that processor in a potential upgrade for me at some point and here are my thoughts. The 3930K will also need to be overclocked for it is at 3.2 like the 2500k I have. So here is the clincher: Every processor has it's maximum clock. Meaning you just get lucky going into that processor store as you rub your rosary beads and pick your processor. How you rub these beads determines how overclockable your processor is. I am hoping mine will get to their stated limit (this is like 2% yea right!) of 5.7ghz although I will be fine with 5.0 and to be honest I am fairly satisfied now. So as chance would have it, it would be entirely possible to go out and buy the 3930K and get a dud that can only hit 4.5 or even only 4.2 or so. I think they say that something like 50% of these processors can go over 4.6ghz before they hit their wall. The big question is: Is it worth the cash when a 2500K is so dynamic for much less for 2 additional cores?I do see you have yours at 4.8 but I am sure not all can go that high. I wonder what benchmarks would look like comparing other sandy bridge processors with relative speeds to the 3930KJust my O2Perhaps newer breakthroughs in technology or better programmers at MS are needed!