Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

Just started using FS9 instead of FSX

WOW!!!!!!This is so much fun, I'm actually getting frame rates in excess of 50 and the whole flying experience is really really great. LOL.gifI thought my system would be good enough for FSX and while it does a pretty good job with it I don't get anywhere near as I do with FS9, OK FS9 isn't as pretty as FSX but it ain't that far off and the performance on my system is great.What I noticed is that when you can get at least 30FPS or more the whole flying experience improves massively, unfortunately in FSX I can't get anywhere near with the same amount of detail. I will of course still use FSX and X-Plane as I use that too but at the mo FS9 has them both beat on my setup. When I can afford to upgrade my CPU I'll see what happens but in the mean time I'm really enjoying FS9.System:- Saphire Radeon 5770, AMD Athlon II X3 unlocked to Phenom II X4, 4GB 1333mhz Ram, 80gb System Drive, 2 250GB drives for FSX, FS9 and X-Plane.Cheers all & Happy flying.Mart.LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif

You can make FS9 look MUCH better than FSX with all those addons out there for it! I have, and have no plans to head over to FSX anytime soon! :)

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

You can make FS9 look MUCH better than FSX with all those addons out there for it! I have, and have no plans to head over to FSX anytime soon! :)
Yeah it might look better with add ons over the default FSX.But FSX really shines as far as texture res goes. Nothing beats FSX for photo scenery or high res liverys and VC's. But the FSX platform is so unstable and buggy not to mention a resource hog.And factor in that FS9 does not look "bad" at all (heck I still use it and love it), but to say FS9 looks better than FSX is just not true. FS9 is just a better more stable platform.

But FSX really shines as far as texture res goes. Nothing beats FSX for photo scenery or high res liverys and VC's.
Ive only used the default textures for FSX and never got anything looking like my FS9, and like you said, it was unstable and low frames so I uninstalled it.Heres a few shot of my FS9 to just show a little of what I'm talking about when I say it looks gooood. :)-2011-nov-23-007.jpg-2011-oct-28-007.jpgWish I could show all of them!

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

I agree Kyle, my FS9 looks really good too. But FSX with some high quality addon's looks better. Is FSX a better sim though? No forking way!

Thanks for all the replies guys.I agree FSX does look great but looking great and flying poorly with all the stutters etc doesn't give a good feeling of flight, I have managed now and then to get a decent run but that's usually cus the area I'm flying as little to no autogen where as in FS9 just last night I was flying in a full on storm around London UK and the detail and night lighting was fantastic and I was averaging 50fps, I just can't get anywhere near that with FSX. I love all the flight sims but FS9 is really giving me lots of fun, when I can get the same feeling out of FSX and or X-Plane then I will use them more but for now FS9 is king.im Not Worthy.gifIf only I could afford a super computer.Praying.gifCheers all.Martin.

OKJust to illustrate, please see attached pics. They are an e-Jet 190 on short final approach into RWY09 at KSAN.The sceneries are respectively enhanced with GE Pro and GEX USA, UT USA and UTX USA, ASE, FEX and Rex2 for FS9 with Zinertek Water. The weather is same time same place (yesterday).The only real difference here is fewer autogen. Ground res is actually around 1m on FSX and around 4m in FS9. Yes that makes a difference close up. However as FSX object res is down to 7cm for roads etc that looks really nice if you computer can handle it. However at 500 feet plus it makes hardly any differenceOn my 4 year old XP Dual core machine I get 24fps at Palm Springs in FSX on Very dense autogen which is nice and smooth. On the attached pics at KSAN the difference is much more marked, at least in the cockpit. The external view is 31fps in FSX and probably 50ish in FS9 although Fraps doesn't tell is much in this one. In FSX it was 12-13 FPS in the 3D cockpit, a bit stuttery, but 32fps in FS9 with the KSAN addon airport and totally smooth.Can you tell which is which? (OK of course you can :-).Regards,Ray

The FS9 shots look better
How did you get which ones are from FS9?I am still lost. Big%20Grin.gif

@pvupilot,Wonderful sky ! I tweaked with patience my own fs9 skies and sun texture, but am still not totally satisfied with the dusk and dawn colors. I use a mix of HDE, and some hand made sun effect. Would you tell us what you use ?Thanks !

Arnaud,Not sure what pvupilot uses but these two shots are from my rig out of KSAN at dawn.I use Rex 2 for FS9, Zinnertek water and an overcast texture from Flighty Environment. Skies and water are all matched and Rex is completely configurable.FS9 can only give FSX a run for its money with Rex IMHO. The original Fs9 would have been off the drive long ago without that, along with a few other things; (ASE, Shockwave, GE Pro2 etc).Ray

WOW!!!!!!This is so much fun, I'm actually getting frame rates in excess of 50 and the whole flying experience is really really great. LOL.gifI thought my system would be good enough for FSX and while it does a pretty good job with it I don't get anywhere near as I do with FS9, OK FS9 isn't as pretty as FSX but it ain't that far off and the performance on my system is great.What I noticed is that when you can get at least 30FPS or more the whole flying experience improves massively, unfortunately in FSX I can't get anywhere near with the same amount of detail. I will of course still use FSX and X-Plane as I use that too but at the mo FS9 has them both beat on my setup. When I can afford to upgrade my CPU I'll see what happens but in the mean time I'm really enjoying FS9.System:- Saphire Radeon 5770, AMD Athlon II X3 unlocked to Phenom II X4, 4GB 1333mhz Ram, 80gb System Drive, 2 250GB drives for FSX, FS9 and X-Plane.Cheers all & Happy flying.Mart.LOL.gifLOL.gifLOL.gif
Welcome my son!to the one true faith.As a high priest of the sock.A prayer to the tea planters of the Punjab has been offered up in your name.OM MANI PAD ME HUM!!!!May your flights be many and your landings better than mine.A.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Welcome my son!to the one true faith.As a high priest of the sock.A prayer to the tea planters of the Punjab has been offered up in your name.OM MANI PAD ME HUM!!!!May your flights be many and your landings better than mine.A.
LMAO.gif , O.k. maybe it's not that funny but funny just the same (especially the last part)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2