Sign in to follow this  
benny948

Virus Help!

Okay, I know that this is not on topic for the forums, but desperately need help with a virus on my moms computer. I asked a quastion on yahoo answers, to no avail, now I will ask it here. From yahoo answers-"My mom has an older Dell XPS 420, which has the Win 7 virus. I receiveda virus from Wikipedia, when the pop-up appeared wanting Admin permission. I recognized this and knew of the virus. Closing the program, I took action. Previously, I had this virus on my computer, ran Malwarebites right away, and destroyed it. This was not the case on my moms computer. By the time I managed to install Malwarebites, which was not on her computer, it was too late. On the one time I got to run the program, it found no viruses and was interrupted. I then attempted to delete the virus files, which were invisible. Now I cant run any programs, even as the admin! I tried running spyware doctor from my flash drive, to no avail. The virus is getting worse and worse, now I just shut down my computer. What should I do? Should I get the Geek Squad or Staples to come to my home?"Please reply, I really need help!!!!!!

That's a bummer. You may not like my response, but here goes. I would suggest a reformat. Preventing a virus is much easier than recovering from one. Most viruses these days do nearly unrecoverable damage to system files and it's more a headache and gamble to recover than it is to reformat. With a caveat: A higher level virus can and will infect the recovery partition that your Mom's Dell probably has, which means we're talking a complete reformat, not just a system restore. If you're not savvy, Geek Squad or a very knowledgeable friend should do the work.Information on her computer is now compromised, so have her change online banking, email, and forum passwords. etc etc.After the PC is fixed, you need a reliable AV program and secure browser. I taught my mom how to use Firefox in conjunction with Noscript, plus Microsoft Security Essentials.I'm very aggressive with this sort of thing because of some of the private info I have on my laptop/PC, so make sure you consult others first.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yep I suggest trying to install microsoft security essentials if it is at all possible. If that doesn't work then it looks like it may be time to reformat.

When you write that you ran "spyware doctor" from a flash drive, did you boot from the drive, or boot the infected system and try to run it? considering how messed up the system is, I think you are going to have to boot off of flash so the infected files don't start. I've never had to do this, so can't give you any pointers but maybe some searching could get you started. For example maybe Malwarebytes after booting from flash could fix things. I don't know if there is some way to run system restore after booting from flahs, that might be an idea, though I've never had good luck with system restore. Better of course is a backup image, but it's too late for that now.scott s..

First of all, there is no such thing as a "Wikipedia" virus. Wikipedia is completely safe. Follow these steps, I have used them to fix many friends' computers:1. Boot into Windows safe mode with networking2. Open up the browser, and go to the Malwarebytes' website, download it, UPDATE it, and run a FULL scan.3. If that doesn't work, I suggest going on another computer, download RKill, make a small auto run file (there are many tutorials on this on YouTube) and put it all into a FREE flashdriveDo that and let me know how it goes.

First of all, there is no such thing as a "Wikipedia" virus. Wikipedia is completely safe. Follow these steps, I have used them to fix many friends' computers:1. Boot into Windows safe mode with networking2. Open up the browser, and go to the Malwarebytes' website, download it, UPDATE it, and run a FULL scan.3. If that doesn't work, I suggest going on another computer, download RKill, make a small auto run file (there are many tutorials on this on YouTube) and put it all into a FREE flashdriveDo that and let me know how it goes.
Yeah I have no idea how this virus got on my mom's computer, was she looking at something previously? Also, how do I start in safe mode? (Sorry about the lack of knowledge)
When you write that you ran "spyware doctor" from a flash drive, did you boot from the drive, or boot the infected system and try to run it? considering how messed up the system is, I think you are going to have to boot off of flash so the infected files don't start. I've never had to do this, so can't give you any pointers but maybe some searching could get you started. For example maybe Malwarebytes after booting from flash could fix things. I don't know if there is some way to run system restore after booting from flahs, that might be an idea, though I've never had good luck with system restore. Better of course is a backup image, but it's too late for that now.scott s..
I had to install Spyware Doctor and Malwarebites from a flash drive, onto the infected computer. Now I can't open Either programs. I actually had this virus the other day on my computer from watching Family Guy Direct. I already had all of those programs on my PC, so I just ran Malwarebites ASAP, and it found the files. On the other PC, after I had installed the two programs, it was too late.

Whatever you don't go to Geek Squad, $129 just to look at your computer. Find a friend to help you and reformat. That's the only way you will be sure to completely rid yourself of the virusSent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Yeah I have no idea how this virus got on my mom's computer, was she looking at something previously? Also, how do I start in safe mode? (Sorry about the lack of knowledge)
Press F8 after you see the Dell logo/HP logo/Acer logo etc. Then you will see Advanced Boot Options menu, select Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking by using your arrows on your keyboard and the enter key. Once you get inside, do the steps above.

BennyJust reformatting your drive may not be possible. You need to replace the master boot record and then if the virus is in the boot sector that will get rid of it. You should not have to pay some one else to do this for you. I would suggest you search for help reformatting your hard drive there is all kinds of info about this available to anyone for free. That's how I learned to look after my own PC. I only paid once to have it done $100 and it can be done by you in about one and a half hours for nothing, just your time. This is all just my 2 Cents worth.....John

I've had something very like this. Just came out of the blue when I was on holiday in Fuerteventura. Ended up not being able to open any programs, and soon enough Windows 7 BSOD'd after about 5 minutes (unless in safe mode) And when in safe mode, the viruses weren't active, so I couldn't get rid of the viruses hidden inside processes.Basically, I had to do this. It gets rid of EVERYTHING But sure as hell does the job, and since re-installing then I haven't had a single problem with my system. At all. LOL.gifhttp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91339-ssd-hdd-optimize-windows-reinstallation.htmlHope you solve this all soon, Regards.

A possibility is if you F8 during boot the option to load the windows recovery environment might be there, if it is then you can select the "Repair you computer" option to get into the console (command prompt). From there you can run Bootrec to fix the mbr and maybe bcd but that isn't for the faint of heart. (I've never had to do this.)scott s..

A possibility is if you F8 during boot the option to load the windows recovery environment might be there, if it is then you can select the "Repair you computer" option to get into the console (command prompt). From there you can run Bootrec to fix the mbr and maybe bcd but that isn't for the faint of heart. (I've never had to do this.)scott s..
What exactly do you mean there? Can you refrase?

When I had a bad virus that no program could find, PC tools antivirus found it and killed it. There are lots of plusses or minuses of different antivirus packages. PC tools doesn't rank very high in any of them except for one thing: it finds more malware than any other product.If you do try running some antivirus trials from a USB thumbdrive, make PC tools as one that you try. It is the only one that could save me and it restored the system perfectly when nothing else could even find the problem.My situation: Like all payware there is a free trial version of PC tools that can identify but you have to pay to actually clean. I ran the free trial versions of several packages and only PC tools could find a virus. At that point, I bought it and the problem went away. PC tools is a resource hog and not user friendly. It is powerful, however.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.