Sign in to follow this  
Airfan

Multiple Runway Landing Operations

Is there a way to set up or edit an AFCAD file so that more than 1 parallel runway is active for landing at the same time? Lets use KDFW as an example, 17R is used for takeoffs and 17C and 17L are used for landing. However in FS 17C remains unused by AI. If I am closest to that runway it still directs me to it for takeoffs and landings. Why is 17C not being used by AI and is there a way to make AI use it?

I've been looking for a way to beat this as well. What happens is that the AI usually goes to the nearest runway to land- which in this case will be one of the outer runways. ATC doesn't take runway utilization, separation, or crowding into account. The problem is prominent at DFW and also at ORD. I haven't been able to find a good solution- currently my DFW afcad has the short outer runway (17L I think) closed so I get landings on 18R and 17C.

I've been looking for a way to beat this as well. What happens is that the AI usually goes to the nearest runway to land- which in this case will be one of the outer runways. ATC doesn't take runway utilization, separation, or crowding into account. The problem is prominent at DFW and also at ORD. I haven't been able to find a good solution- currently my DFW afcad has the short outer runway (17L I think) closed so I get landings on 18R and 17C.
Well after a little research I have found a solution! All you need to do is go into an AFCAD editor and edit the runway that AI uses (in this case 17L) and shorten it to 6500ft. This will cause only small planes to use this runway and the larger ones will use 17C!

If you shorten the runway using AFCAD, it will be shorter in the sim. Doesn't this cause problems with the rest of the scenery?Eric

If you're using a detailed scenery with photo ground textures, the depiction of the runway doesn't depend on the AFCAD, so no. If you're letting FS9 "draw" the runways for you based on the AFCAD, then yes.That works quite well, actually. Thanks. It's still a bit rusty at KORD- due to the fact that the airport is up in the north, the majority of flights come in from the south (90-270 degrees). I'm seeing way too many landings on 28, leading to a clogged up take-off line, with a good mix of the remainder between the two 27's. It would be really nice if the ATC/AI management saw that 28 had a very long landing que and simply sent planes to unoccupied runways- but unfortunately the way it's programmed is quite backwards.

I'd use the ADE9X for afd type editing if this is not default scenery. Some types of design editors put more than just runway, taxiway, and parking in the afd type files paticularly those created by AFX and ADE and some high end scenery design packages. Now whatever you use try removing the start locations on runways you do not want to use. It must be done on both ends - and any intersection take-off points. See if that works.