Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

Thinking of Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle for 737NGX

Flying 737NGX and FSX with typical add ons (see my sig) and thinking of replacing my T.Flight HOTAS Thrustmaster Joy/Throttle with the (pricey) Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Joy/Throttle combo.Question: Are any of you using this device to fly the PMDG 737NGX in FSX? If yes, can you tell me if you're satisfied with the performance of this controller, particularly as regards to control of the airplane both in terms of steering and thrust?I purchased and returned the Saitek pro flight yoke and rudder pedal combo. Let's just say I was dissatisfied with both items from a flight control perspective, not to mention what I regarded as extremely 'iffy' construction and performance characteristics.I looked at the CH yoke/pedals as well, and believe the Thrustmaster setup is a bit more solid from what I've been able to read about (and at like 2x the price, it should be).Also looked at the crazy-expensive precision flight controls offerings. If money were no object, of course I'd just buy a used 737 from one of the airlines. Sadly, I'm a few cockles short of the millions needed for that idea. Or, I could pay 300 grand for the world's most expensive personal flight simulator (according to Guiness Book of World Records).Since none of that is happening, I am asking for feedback about the Thrustmaster. I recognize that it is probably not ideal for a dual-engine commercial Jet versus a true YOKE design, but the magnetic contacts and the idea of a better feel when moving the throttle to full IDLE has intrigued me greatly.Thanks in advance for any feedback. If I'm missing some 'other' choice for yoke/throttle/rudder pedals - please share your thoughts.Finally, is the Warthog able to fully-control all control surfaces of the 737NGX (especially the rudder?)Ciao.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

RSR has one and I know he loves it. (he's using it in DCS A-10C though too)The Warthog does not have a rudder axis though - they assume with a piece of hardware that high end that you're using actual pedals like the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.If you're doing this just for the NGX though I'd have to think a Saitek Pro Flight setup with the Yoke, throttle panel and the pedals would be a lot more realistic for a 737 than a replica stick and throttle out of an A-10.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

RSR has one and I know he loves it. (he's using it in DCS A-10C though too)The Warthog does not have a rudder axis though - they assume with a piece of hardware that high end that you're using actual pedals like the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.If you're doing this just for the NGX though I'd have to think a Saitek Pro Flight setup with the Yoke, throttle panel and the pedals would be a lot more realistic for a 737 than a replica stick and throttle out of an A-10.
I'm sure you're right, Ryan. Thanks for the heads-up about the rudder, that's a deal-breaker for me, unless I can figure out a fix for the rudder pedals.I was very disappointed with the SAITEK build quality on the THROTTLE and the YOKE. The yoke had a 'sticky' spot and was very difficult to fly the plane when A/P was disengaged. This is a Non-issue with my Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS which I am thinking of replacing.I know the Warthog is a great device for A10, but all I fly is the PMDG 737NGX. I know you personally use the CH stuff on your work system (from your signature bar). Are you 100% happy with that?

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

no the WH does not have a rudder axis but everything else it does its just spot on. Ive had mine a year now and its the most precise stick ive ever had by a huge margin. Its showing no signs at all of wear even though I use it alot, its still as spike free and solid as it ever was. Its also quite heavy feeling(being made of mostly steel).And if you ever get the DCS A10c you wont even need to set it up as it comes with the exact same setup as the real thing =)

I'm quickly going to jump in and say that I myself have Combatstick and the pro throttle from CH and I am very happy with them. I know that it isn't a yoke but a yoke is kinda big for a small table. I prefer to have a joystick that I use with my right hand so i can have paper in front of me. The throttle is also very good and very precise. Even if i simply tap a little I can see a difference in thrust. As rudder I use a mini joystick on the throttle, it isn't realistic but it works. The CH products are made out of plastic but it is quite a strong material and very precise. I have so far had no problems, signal spikes or "deadzone issues" at all after 1 year of usage. All I can say that I warmly recommend CH products.Adding to this I must say that I previously only have owned two useless Logitech joysticks that broke after a week. I was very close to buying the warthog aswell but I didn't for financial reasons and because no one sold it in Sweden.ManfredEDIT: CH products is also a industrial joystick manufacturer which Thrustmaster as far as I know isn't.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

I recently purchased the TM Warthog, and it works great with the NGX. I've assigned the rudder to the slider axis on the throttle, and that has worked out very well for me. But because of that assignment, I'm missing a continuous axis for the speedbrakes, and have to operate them in an all or nothing mode. However, given how slippery the NGX is, I found that I was using them in the full flight detent position 99% of the time anyways, so that was no big deal.It took me a while to set up a config file using the T.A.R.G.E.T. software for the button assignments, but I've got it now to a point where it is quite enjoyable flying the NGX with this hardware.Good luck!Rushad E.

Flying 737NGX and FSX with typical add ons (see my sig) and thinking of replacing my T.Flight HOTAS Thrustmaster Joy/Throttle with the (pricey) Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Joy/Throttle combo.Question: Are any of you using this device to fly the PMDG 737NGX in FSX? If yes, can you tell me if you're satisfied with the performance of this controller, particularly as regards to control of the airplane both in terms of steering and thrust?I purchased and returned the Saitek pro flight yoke and rudder pedal combo. Let's just say I was dissatisfied with both items from a flight control perspective, not to mention what I regarded as extremely 'iffy' construction and performance characteristics.I looked at the CH yoke/pedals as well, and believe the Thrustmaster setup is a bit more solid from what I've been able to read about (and at like 2x the price, it should be).Also looked at the crazy-expensive precision flight controls offerings. If money were no object, of course I'd just buy a used 737 from one of the airlines. Sadly, I'm a few cockles short of the millions needed for that idea. Or, I could pay 300 grand for the world's most expensive personal flight simulator (according to Guiness Book of World Records).Since none of that is happening, I am asking for feedback about the Thrustmaster. I recognize that it is probably not ideal for a dual-engine commercial Jet versus a true YOKE design, but the magnetic contacts and the idea of a better feel when moving the throttle to full IDLE has intrigued me greatly.Thanks in advance for any feedback. If I'm missing some 'other' choice for yoke/throttle/rudder pedals - please share your thoughts.Finally, is the Warthog able to fully-control all control surfaces of the 737NGX (especially the rudder?)Ciao.
Caio i have the TM warthog Hotas i use it for ED A-10C sim and the NGX, It's a top quality product you wont regret getting one

John C

The yoke had a 'sticky' spot and was very difficult to fly the plane when A/P was disengaged. This is a
That's funny because I have been using a Saitek yoke for a couple of years and love it. That "sticky spot" is the centering for the yoke and was the reason that I purchased the Saitek. CH didn't have that and unless you were looking down at your yoke, you didn't know if it was centered. Just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure. He He.gif

You can spend as much or as little (or anything in between) for flight simulation. I choose the Throttletek G-737 throttle quadrant, and I love it. Using my Saitek yoke and CH pedals, and with PMDG's beautiful virtual cockpit to use with TrackIR and EZdok, I just needed something that felt real for a throttle. Throttletek G737 fits the ticket perfect for me.It feels close to the real throttles, has the TO/GA buttons and autothrottle disconnect buttons in the right place and has the fuel cutoff switches in the right place. It is easy to set up with FSUIPC and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The only problem with it is that it takes about four or five months to get it. I have seen a great looking half 737ng panel with throttle quadrant and pedestal somewhere, with motorized throttles and trim wheels. It only cost around $7000. Add the realistic yoke, it would be about $9000. Even if I could afford it (and I can't), I don't believe it would add as much to the experience of flying the NGX as this G737 has added to it for me.Bob

It is amazing how the best stuff always costs 20 times more than the second best stuff Rolling Eyes.gif.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Caio i have the TM warthog Hotas i use it for ED A-10C sim and the NGX, It's a top quality product you wont regret getting one
Thanks for your tip- My question for you: what do you use to control your RUDDER? Do you somehow make the Warthog do it? From what some of the other posters here have said, I gather this is not something that the Hotas Warthog can do (control the rudder).Can you clarify?Robert
Wow- now THAT's what I'm TALKIN ABOUT! If money were no object...Question #2 - How do you use the Rudder panel units with that humongous Full-size yoke assembly?:DThanks for the link!Precision Flight Controls offers similar stuff plus throttle quadrants and other goodies including an amazing radio panel... but you are into the several thousands of dollars for their stuff...I'm not ready to commit thousands... I have spent north of $1500 building the PC and then more for software and such... but the aircraft controls need to be upgraded...(the actual physical hardware).
It is amazing how the best stuff always costs 20 times more than the second best stuff Rolling%20Eyes.gif.
Yes, the old expression was "it only costs 10% more to go first class... " but with inflation, adjusted for 2012 dollars, that number is well over 10%, no?

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Trustmaster HOTAS Warthod and Saitek Rudder pedals here... Excellent!I had the Saitek Yoke (2 pieces) with extra throttle quadrant but it was so frustrated with its stickiness, that it went down the chute recently.Honestly I am looking into the "expensive solution" as well, but I will wait until 21 December 2012 Hypnotized.gif

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

That's funny because I have been using a Saitek yoke for a couple of years and love it. That "sticky spot" is the centering for the yoke and was the reason that I purchased the Saitek. CH didn't have that and unless you were looking down at your yoke, you didn't know if it was centered. Just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure. He%20He.gif
I didn't care for the feel of the Saitek yoke, and the C-clamp methodology they use to connect it to my desk was klunky and ate up a lot of real-estate, the throttle quadrant was even MORE klunky and space-eating, and appeared very cheaply made. When I moved the throttles to 0, it required a lot of effort to avoid going "too far" (thus engaging the reverse thrusters). Overall, the OOBE (out of box experience) I encounted with the Saitek pro flight yoke and pro flight rudders was disappointing. The price was low (about $219 USD from Amazon.com). Unfortunately, and with no wish to offend, I felt the quality was as well. Obviously $219 for BOTH the yoke and the rudders and the throttle quadrant means some of the stuff was going to be less heavy duty than say a throttle quadrant alone that is $400 or more, or a yoke that is $1200. I am looking for something mid-range and that is what led me to inquire after the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, which has a lot of STEEL, and appears to be well-engineered. I would love something of the Warthog quality build but a yoke and seperate dual-throttle quadrant... but I don't think such a thing exists at the price point I would think reasonable.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I am looking for something mid-range and that is what led me to inquire after the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, which has a lot of STEEL, and appears to be well-engineered. I would love something of the Warthog quality build but a yoke and seperate dual-throttle quadrant... but I don't think such a thing exists at the price point I would think reasonable.
For this exact reason I have settled for the moment to fly my NGX with the Thrustmaster Kit. I looks GREAT, it feels GREAT, it performs excellent. It is extremely well engineered. And definitely the stick and throttles always catch the eyes of my guests. Go for it, you won't regret. By the way you might end up flying the DCS A-10C in between your NGX sessions just because of the HOTAS Warthog...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

For this exact reason I have settled for the moment to fly my NGX with the Thrustmaster Kit. I looks GREAT, it feels GREAT, it performs excellent. It is extremely well engineered. And definitely the stick and throttles always catch the eyes of my guests. Go for it, you won't regret. By the way you might end up flying the DCS A-10C in between your NGX sessions just because of the HOTAS Warthog...
Which Saitek rudder pedals do you use? The Military (Metal) ones or the plastic ones?Thanks.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg