Sign in to follow this  
Erol

PMDG or Captain Sim?

Hi,I am looking to buy either the PMDG 777-200 or the Captain Sim 767.Right now the PMDG 777 is still in (very low) development but I want a plane that can do trans-atlantic flights and is also as close to the real aircraft. And to be honest, i hate to wait :)The PMDG MD11 looks also fine but its more expensive and I am not sure if its FSX native or just an FS2004 airplane made to work in FSX?Any suggestions are welcome.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree with Ryan. If you are looking at possibly buying a 767, then go with the LDS767 if you don't mind outdated graphics. If you really want PMDG, then the MD-11 and 747 are both fine aircraft. Both were developed for FS2004, although the MD-11 actually started its life at FSX only in the beginning, a FS2004 version was made only after the FSX version was released. For the 747 it's the other way around, but in all honesty, the difference in FPS I see between these planes is quite small.EDIT: Just to add... From my personal experience, I always found the MD-11 to be a far more intreesting to plane to operate and fly than the 747. It works differently, and I find that very refreshing. Which remidsn me that I ought to fly the Leonardo Maddog again sometime soon.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The MD11 is fully FSX native, but that's about all I know about it.
This is true, plus if your system CPU is not running close to 3.8 Ghz MD11 probs your best choice cause its less CPU hungary than CS767.I have most the stuff from PMDG and CSCS767 has just been updated to v1.5, MD11 not been touched up in years, not that it really needs it though.If you only care about a/c simulation and cocpit views go PMDG.Me i prefer the above but also like full feature cabin / wing view from inside cabin, this you only get with captain sim, PMDG cabin views are like a scene from SAW2.This is why i would always choose Captain sim over PMDG, Captain sim do the whole plane , not just the cockpit. PMDG aircraft systems tend to have less bugs though and more FPS friendly, usually.It may be worth alos checking the PMDG 747 series, lots of cheap addons if you got basepack, there 747-8i, DreamLifter etc.

Thanks for the replies.The Level-D 767 does'nt meet the graphic standards i am looking for.My system specs. for a better suggestion/advice.Windows 7 X64Intel I5 750 native quad core 4x 2.67 Ghz12 GB DDR3 RAM 833 MHZATI Radeon HD5670 with 1 GB DDR4 Ram

Thanks for the replies.The Level-D 767 does'nt meet the graphic standards i am looking for.My system specs. for a better suggestion/advice.Windows 7 X64Intel I5 750 native quad core 4x 2.67 Ghz12 GB DDR3 RAM 833 MHZATI Radeon HD5670 with 1 GB DDR4 Ram
I would go with the MD11.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

There is always CLS and Wilco Airbus series, they probably cheaper than everything mentioned here so far, systems not as detailed as CS and PMDG , but Graphics are goood, easy to learn how to fly, plus you get a few heavies with each airbus series not just one.with 2.6Ghz i will recommend you go CLS Airbus series, framefriendly like default a/c.

If you're looking for the flying experience the Level D is the way to go. I agree the graphics are somewhat dated but the flight experience, fms operation, flight ddynamix are very, very god.Dave

First off whatever you do I would stay well clear of CS. I and many others have had very bad experiences with them, I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible company they are. Read the forums before you drop coin. I bought their 767 and they are marketing a product where they expect you to modify config files, spend many hours troubleshooting and pulling your hair out for the second worst in customer service, 1st is Ariane Designs. They drop ALL support tickets with an auto generated email telling you this topic has been covered before and to look at their cluttered faq or forum, in which you will not find any answers of course.I also had the LDS767 and flew it for 100's of hours in fs9 and loved it but you can do much better today with graphics so I did not buy the FSX version and I am now 100% on FSX.PMDG as far as I am concerned is the only company I buy aircraft from now, no one else is up to their standards. I have spend much time with the NGX and is by far the best FS aircraft I have ever had and I have had many. If you are looking for a really good long range widebody you must get the MD11. In my opinion it is the second best aircraft ever made for FS, the 3rd being the PMDG 747 Queen of the skies of course! I consider myself to be a very picky SOB when it comes to this stuff and their is nothing more I hate than a company who rushed a product out and took shortcuts. PMDG does not do this.Running an FSX default jet start on a $50 dollar airplane just ####### me off. I have uninstalled the CS 767 due to numerous other problems with sound files and just kissed that $50 goodby and chalked it up to another learning lesson. What was my first most painful learning lesson you might ask? Buying the Ariane BBJ for $97.00. What was I thinking!I just dont want you to go down the road I had to go down. Buy the PMDG MD11 or 747 or wait for the 777.Good luck and god speed mate

Buy the NGX or MD-11. These are two of the best aircraft ever made for FS.Stay away from Captain Sim. Nothing CS makes is even in the same galaxy as PMDG.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

First off whatever you do I would stay well clear of CS. I and many others have had very bad experiences with them, I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible company they are. Read the forums before you drop coin. I bought their 767 and they are marketing a product where they expect you to modify config files, spend many hours troubleshooting and pulling your hair out for the second worst in customer service, 1st is Ariane Designs. They drop ALL support tickets with an auto generated email telling you this topic has been covered before and to look at their cluttered faq or forum, in which you will not find any answers of course.*trimmed*
They're at not that bad Just Kidding.gif I wouldn't discount Captain Sim so easily. Captain Sim for some reason appears to be the most attacked developer for Flight Simulator, but they have great products. I do agree that you should read the forums first. Honestly, I would always suggest before buying ANYTHING to research what you are wanting to buy. Though I would like to counter the negative comments by saying that I own Captain Sim's 757, 767, and 777-200, and I'm a very happy customer. They are great looking and highly detailed aircraft. Captain Sim doesn't require any modification of any files to get them to work. It is just as easy as a PMDG product to get started. Also the 767 and 757 have a full functioning VC and FMC like the LevelD 767 and PMDG 747. Going from the LevelD 767 to the CaptainSim 767 is easy. I made a repaint for the 767 and that worked out quite well.As far as their 777-200 looks nice, but isn't finished. It doesn't have any VC, but they clearly state what you are getting in the "pre-release" product. The nice thing is that Captain Sim promises a discount on the final release build for those that bought in early.My issues for all their planes is that they don't seem to optimize the VCs that well. They look fantastic, but hit my FPS hard. Though the FPS hit is not far from what I've had with the PMDG 737 NGX.The issue with the 757 and 767 that as been particularly annoying is no avionics/radios when starting from a cold and dark cockpit. The problem is that if the "Master Avionics Switch" was turned off on your default FSX flight, then your radios and avionics will never turn on in the Captain Sim 757 or 767 with out you having to set a hot-key to turn on or fix the default flight to have it turned on. It kinda takes me out of the experience a bit, but it is a game after all.The ACE software that lets you configure the layout is not as nice as the LevelD configuration tool or PMDGs. It lets you load passengers and cargo, but wish it gave a calculated ZFW and CG%. Not a deal breaker, but I'm a little lazy about doing the math in my head.

when it comes to this stuff and their is nothing more I hate than a company who rushed a product out and took shortcuts. PMDG does not do this.
I like CS planes probably more than PMDG cause CS do cabins not just cockpit. But the quote above is definatly something that CS could be accused of 100%.CS, Its bad idea to let people feel its best to stay away from version 1.0 of your products, i got CS767 version 1.0 , had to spend too many hours/ days trying to fix the AP flight dynamics myself. And am not too happy with the cs767 overwashed look VC concept, makes CS 767 VC look like its ready to be decomissioned. On the plus side, CS forums is always active and you can get good help there, (for things that have a fix), yeh probs best to go PMDG if you dont want to take a risk of buying something that might give you hassle. Cause cs757/767 had major issues with flight dynamics, plane shaking, wobbling at cruise all kinds of things that would put you off, and seems even patches released to fix these issues even made it worse.Overall CS make A/C agood as PMDG, but seems like CS has not cracked the tech for a/c flight dynamics under autopilot control.CS and Wilco are my main a/c addon company, but that is only cause they do cabin views, From PMDG and the rest i only buy what CS and Wilco dont have.