Sign in to follow this  
Erol

PMDG or Captain Sim?

You should be getting a clear message to either wait for the PMDG777 or get the PMDG MD11.

The LDS 767 is excellent and I had a lot of fun with it but it sounds as if the cockpit graphics aren't up to your requirements. I have to agree that it was probably designed as a 2D cockpit aircraft with a VC add-on and it does tend to look that way. Improved PC specs mean that most new aircraft are designed to be used from the VC with a 2D fall-back.

I twice fell into the trap of buying 2 CS aircraft in their "sale" - the C130 and the 757. I never bothered doing more than a quick test flight in either, a complete waste of money. In particular the 757 displayed horrible frame rates and generally played havoc with FSX, wanting all kinds of tweeks to run. Forget it. Based on the comments above, maybe if you were looking for something older - 707 or 727 - with fewer systems to simulate, you'd be OK, but something new? No.

You have to ask yourself how much you really want a cabin to be modelled. You will never get a combination of PMDG & Level D's system sophistication and CS's working toilets because lugging around that VC cabin all the time sucks the life out of anyone's PC. I ready to be corrected but there's no way of turning it off as some models used to allow you to turn off the VC if your system couldn't handle it.

PS If you are worried about TOO MUCH system sophistication, get FS2Crew for the LDS767, MD11, PMDG737 NGX or in the fullness of time no doubt, the PMDG777. That way, your First Officer will do most of the button pushing as you command and let you do only the interesting stuff the Captain gets paid for.

ngxu_banner.png

First off whatever you do I would stay well clear of CS. I and many others have had very bad experiences with them, I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible company they are. Read the forums before you drop coin. I bought their 767 and they are marketing a product where they expect you to modify config files, spend many hours troubleshooting and pulling your hair out for the second worst in customer service, 1st is Ariane Designs. They drop ALL support tickets with an auto generated email telling you this topic has been covered before and to look at their cluttered faq or forum, in which you will not find any answers of course.I also had the LDS767 and flew it for 100's of hours in fs9 and loved it but you can do much better today with graphics so I did not buy the FSX version and I am now 100% on FSX.PMDG as far as I am concerned is the only company I buy aircraft from now, no one else is up to their standards. I have spend much time with the NGX and is by far the best FS aircraft I have ever had and I have had many. If you are looking for a really good long range widebody you must get the MD11. In my opinion it is the second best aircraft ever made for FS, the 3rd being the PMDG 747 Queen of the skies of course! I consider myself to be a very picky SOB when it comes to this stuff and their is nothing more I hate than a company who rushed a product out and took shortcuts. PMDG does not do this.Running an FSX default jet start on a $50 dollar airplane just ####### me off. I have uninstalled the CS 767 due to numerous other problems with sound files and just kissed that $50 goodby and chalked it up to another learning lesson. What was my first most painful learning lesson you might ask? Buying the Ariane BBJ for $97.00. What was I thinking!I just dont want you to go down the road I had to go down. Buy the PMDG MD11 or 747 or wait for the 777.Good luck and god speed mate

+1

Too bad some here feel the need to badmouth developers. Most of a users problems are due to their systems, and lack of knowledge. I own planes from every major producer and CS is right up there with the best of them. I have the 707, 727, 737, 757, C130, and B52, and noone, noone, can compare with their cockpits.

As far as the complaints about 'performance', I will bet you dollars to donuts that not a SINGLE complainer has a single hour in the real planes, so their opinion has zero credibility.

If you had a 'service' problem previously, yes I agree it was poor, but that was over a year ago and CS support has improved drastically.

I also own PMDG, QW, LvlD, ES, Caranado, and many others, so I have plenty to compare CS to, and they have no more problems than ANY other developer, and a lot LESS than some.

Jay

As far as the complaints about 'performance', I will bet you dollars to donuts that not a SINGLE complainer has a single hour in the real planes, so their opinion has zero credibility.

Not having a certain type rating doesn't necessarily make one's opinion useless. Although I agree with the general idea of your post. I digress.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

First off whatever you do I would stay well clear of CS. I and many others have had very bad experiences with them, I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible company they are.

I don't have a problem with Captain Sim, and their Boeing 707-300 is a superb piece of kit.

That SHOULD be Captain Sim's every day price.

I purchased the 707-300 in a Christmas sale. When I installed it, looked at it, saw the astonishing level of detail in the VC, and then flight tested it, I realised that it was worth at least five times that amount.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Too bad some here feel the need to badmouth developers. Most of a users problems are due to their systems, and lack of knowledge. I own planes from every major producer and CS is right up there with the best of them. I have the 707, 727, 737, 757, C130, and B52, and noone, noone, can compare with their cockpits.

Meh, the NGX cockpit IMO is more visually pleasing than anything from CS. A2A Simulations also has cockpits that meet or exceed CS. Finally, MilViz is producing some incredible virtual cockpits, particularly with the CH-47 Chinook, and the upcoming Baron B55, 737-200, and F-86 Sabre. Something many people don't know is that MilViz produced the VC of the CS B-52.

MilViz CH-47, Baron, F-86, and 737 VC shots:

563260_363508073693574_184784678232582_1039477_2118167520_n.jpg

528580_394902257220822_184784678232582_1124570_1032459618_n.jpg

385606_386892581355123_184784678232582_1103206_1819222061_n.jpg

554813_364690780241970_184784678232582_1042655_1084285478_n.jpg

If you had a 'service' problem previously, yes I agree it was poor, but that was over a year ago and CS support has improved drastically.

I also own PMDG, QW, LvlD, ES, Caranado, and many others, so I have plenty to compare CS to, and they have no more problems than ANY other developer, and a lot LESS than some.

You get to "badmouth" aka expressing your opinion about developers the minute your drop your credit card down on them. When I buillt my computer, it was with top of the line components so there is no reason that CS products shouldn't be able to run smoothly on it. Heck the NGX runs fantastic on it. As for your dollars to donuts bet, does 10,000+ hours sitting in the real cockpits count for credibility? Thats perhaps why I am so damn picky about addons. I will tell you what. I will install my CA products and if I can come up with 50+ VALID bugs, then you buy the CS products off of me for the value that I paid for them? If not I will buy the next 2 CS products that are released for you. Deal?

CS products have ran pretty well on my computer in terms of FPS, and there would be something seriously wrong if they didn't as my computer is top notch one.

However, buggyness is what makes me to avoid CS products if I can get same plane from some other good developer, even if less detailed. When I bought CS 757 and 767 they were both unflyable as every time I flew both engines cut out after few hours of flight, which was obviously not fault of my system, and not me operating systems wrongly either as I operate Level D 767 just same way without problems, and its more realistic addon.

Probably this problem has been fixed, but still there is some bugs according most people, I don't even have CS 767 and 757 installed anymore as Level D and Qualitywings do both way better.

I have been very happy with their 707 though. But then 727 is a bit of failure, it has extremely unrealistic feeling flight dynamics, it feels like driving a train more than any other addon I have. When I move my yoke back to middle position plane stops turning instantly, when in real life it take its own time from ailerons to move back to neutral position, which you can feel with most other addons.

For those that are considering getting the CS 737 here is my advice. Dont. Wait for the Milviz one. SO far within a couple of minutes here is my opinion:

1) unrealistic flap movement

2)engines gauges are jittery. Advance the throttles and you can see how jittery the M2 gauges are.should be silky smooth this day and age.

3) 2D radio popup is the default 737 gauges!!!!!! Really?

4) trim indicator moves at a unrealistic rate. seems like one second to go from say 2.0-5.0

5) FD is choppy. move the pitch command on the AP panel and the FD does not move smooth at all. the Attitude indicator is choppy too.

6) if you change the radio frequency the dials sound the same on almost everything. radio dials sound same as WX radar. these sounds definitely weren't take from the real thing

7) aircraft is very pitch in the longitudinal axis

8) all gauges are perfectly matched up in the climb. Left and right gauges were all the same. fuel flow, temps, N2, etc. Not realistic whatsoever

9) 6 pack light test doesnt work

10) oh while I was typing this my plane is climbing. Just passing through FL410 and still climbing good. YEAH RIGHT! Well I made it up to FL480. Just thought I would see how much power was available and pushed the thrust levers up......2.2 EPR. where is the shake your head emoticon?

I just got going with this thing. Give me an hour and my bug list will be longer than santa's list. Another flop in my opinion. And for 52 bucks? Wouldnt pay more than 14.95! Anyojne who wants to buy mine....30 bux and its yours!

Jack, just so you know. I agree (more than) 100% with what you say about CS.

I'll never buy their add-ons again (maybe at their 9.99$ sales). Really not worth the money they're asking fot them on release IMHO...

You are not alone.

And thanks for the advice their 737. And PLEASE continue with the bug list. :Nerd:

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Yeah I think I will call my credit card company and see what the policy is for defunct downloadable software.

CS is eyecandy only. Luckily a few dedicated people have tweaked their addons to be more realistic, but don't expect system modeling at all, or realistic FDE. Especially not accurate lnav/vnav. That's why you can't compare CS to PMDG or LevelD or any of the other top tier developers. They are getting better though.

So WHY on earth would anyone support their products? Let companies like this die out. Survival of the fitest. Either get your act together and start making proper addons or you wither and fade away. Keep supporting companies like this and hey will just keep taking advantage of you and your wallet.

So WHY on earth would anyone support their products? Let companies like this die out. Survival of the fitest. Either get your act together and start making proper addons or you wither and fade away. Keep supporting companies like this and hey will just keep taking advantage of you and your wallet.

Are you serious? Is everyone to believe that it's your way or the highway? Relax.

Your "bug list".... Only several are worth reading. None of them justify the junk you're spewing. Since when did you think developers should be held to a $200 standard when the add on is only $45?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Are you serious? Is everyone to believe that it's your way or the highway? Relax.

Your "bug list".... Only several are worth reading. None of them justify the junk you're spewing.

My way or the highway.....lol....yeah THAT's what I said. I see your quotation marks around my text that says "my way or the highway". Let me say again in case you didn't understand. There is no incentive for a company to get better if you keep unquestionably give your money to them. Oh, and my "bugs"? I wasn't even trying and thats what I found within a couple minutes. I dunno, maybe my FS standards are just higher therefore more picky.