Sign in to follow this  
Erol

PMDG or Captain Sim?

PMDG's 747 is very nice for transatlantic flights, Level D 767 is well "world renowned" and there are TONS of livery's and "expansions" for it even though it is a bit outdated. Captain Sim like PMDG offers excellent quality and flight dynamics and both are the best of the best in their niche however PMDG owns CS in flight systems and dynamics. Personally I would go with the PMDG 747 or even look into a freeware 747-800i from SkySpirit2010 its masterfully done by some of the people that were POSKY, its a good holdover until PMDG finishes your 777.

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

Well that's the problem with CS. Everything "looks" nice but flies like default aircraft

If you think that the CS 707-300 flies like a default plane, then think again.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If you think that the CS 707-300 flies like a default plane, then think again.

Yeah 707 is pretty good, but 757, 767, and especially 727 all fly like rubbish.

Yeah 707 is pretty good, but 757, 767, and especially 727 all fly like rubbish.

I don't know how you can say that about the 757/767. To test I took a CS 757 and QW757 and flew the same flight KLAX to KSFO. I used this flight plan which was taken right from Flightaware. I added a Transition from DUMBA to both. I flew both flights in LNAV/VNAV hands off right down to to final and performed an ILS Autoland. One thing I will note the QW was 191K Lb and the CS757 was 181K Lb This was what I saw.

VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2

Both models V-speed was close 128, 130,136 for CS and 132, 138, 140 for the QW. With a calculated CG of 3.56 the CS 757 rotated right on schedule. With no Calculated CG for the QW model using a similar trim required much more back pressure. Using the default trim which was back near 6.50 was better, but was still heavier then the CS, and required additional trim to maintain climb. Calculated VNAV speeds on the FMC on the climb was horrendous. For example The first waypoint VTU the FMC calculated 10000ft, actual was FL232, at RZS it calculated FL220, actual was FL340. These are all in line with the altitudes the CS757 reached but the CS FMC calculated them correctly. Cruise for both models were unremarkable, but on descent, while both followed the descent profile accurately and met the absolute constraint at DUMBA o 4100ft. The descent speed for the CS model was 287kts down to 10000ft 240kt lower, but the QW757's descent speed was at 255kt down to 10000ft and 250kt lower. Final approach was fine for both, but neither was able to do a good Autoland. Actually it was a case of opposite extremes. The CS757 flares too late resulting in a 700fpm down to a 400fpm at touchdown. Being that flight controls aren't locked with the AP it is possible to use just a little back pressure to get a nice smooth <100fpm touchdown, but then it 's technically not an autoland then is it. The QW model flare caused a large float half way down the runway forcing you to force her down.

I also flew both Hands on and I didn't see any discernible difference within the normal flight envelope. I will say I thought the QW757 was a little tighter when flown outside the normal flight regime. but then we shouldn't be doing that to often. Also I like the QW757 sound better then the CS757.

As for CS vs PMDG, of course their not at the level of PMDG, but what other developer is, especially when it comes to the MD-11 or NGX? Their pretty much in a class by themselves.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Carenado is pretty much the same level as PMDG and CLS while lacking in modern graphic design is certainly in reference to flight dynamics on par with PMDG.

Sorry, but I am going to pull a Howard Stern here and say what's on my mind

"Baba Booey" :)

Carenado is pretty much the same level as PMDG and CLS while lacking in modern graphic design is certainly in reference to flight dynamics on par with PMDG.

April fools day was over a long time ago!

April fools day was over a long time ago!

The Level-D 767 was superb and still is superb, Carenado also has the looks and if you have flown the P46T or C-90B they are excellent, sure PMDG is the company to beat right now in terms of quality and realism but Level D and Carenado are certainly contenders. Also while not commercial A2A Simulations is easily right there with PMDG and I dare you to challenge that.

Carenado is like CS, beauty to look at, but little system modelling and FDE. It takes users adding on just to make it realistic.

Precisely

Carenado is like CS, beauty to look at, but little system modelling and FDE. It takes users adding on just to make it realistic.

Indeed.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

I didnt find this to be the case with my P46T Malibu Jetprop, of course I got all the service packs with it as well, sure some of Carenado's earlier work was pretty and the FDE was "sub-par" but their latest releases like the P46T and C-90B after the service packs are excellent.