Sign in to follow this  
captdini

Small glitch, I think !

Hi Guys,Just noticed a minor glitch on the EFIS Control Panel switching logic. Here is the scenario:During pre flight set up, I normally set the Minima(Baro) bar to the thrust reduction altitude and QNH on the Captain's PFD. Instead of doing the same on the right side, as a shortcut, I just move the DISPLAYS Control Panel switch to BOTH ON 1. Automatically, the Baro and Minima setting I have made will change on the F/O's PFD to match the Captain's side, which is correct. Once I move the switch back to the NORMAL, the baro and minima readings on the F/O's PFD go back to what they were prior to "syncing" the two. Also, I have not tried the reverse, which is to do the same from the F/O's side.As far as QNH goes, I can always select the option of syncing Captain and F/O's baro in the FMC, but for minima's, the above shortcut does not work. Can anyone else verify the same ?Of course, if it is already reported, then sorry to bring it up again.Cheers,Dinshaw Parakh.

It is nok a shortcut for syncing the F/O and Captains minimums. When you select both on 1, you simplyselect the captains PFD to be displayed ón the F/O side. When you then switch it back to normal the minima will be comtrolled from the F/O efis control panel once again (As it was prior to selecting both on 1)There is no Way of syncing the Captain and F/O minimums, otter than setting both up!So there is no glitch :)

This is not an error.When you select ALL ON 1, you are NOT transferring data between the two panels.You are just showing the data that has been input on the captain's side, on the FO's side too.Unless when having a failure, you are not supposed to be switching anything there. In fact, if one of the two Display Electronic Units is not working during preflight, you are not allowed to take off.I advise to read 11.20.7 and following pages in the FCOM to know more about this.

Dear Anders and Thomas,Thanks for your replies, I think you have misunderstood my post though.@Anders:Yes, I am aware of what the switch is for :) I know it is not for "syncing", it was just a word I used to try and get the scenario across. Besides, the reason I ask this question, is that I have done it not only in the Simulator (level-d), but also in the real aircraft on more than one occasion. Also, when I select BOTH ON 1, it is not just the symbols on the PFD, but also the ND (sorry, being a bit pedantic here!) which are displayed. Also, the Minima knob on the aircraft is spring loaded to the center position, unlike the ND's Mode and Range selectors which have fixed positions. Therefore, when you move the switch to BOTH ON 1 the F/O PFD and ND will show what the Captain's instruments are showing. Once the switch is in back in NORMAL, the ND mode and range will show as per the knob position on its respective EFIS Control Panel, but the Baro and Minima will not change.@Thomas,Thanks, same as above. Besides, I was not talking about the DEU as mentioned by you, only the EFIS CONTROL PANEL Source. Also, a CDS MAINT is a dispatchable item. With regards to not touching anything until something has failed, well, it is debatable :)Thanks anyway for your replies,Dinshaw Parakh

Okay Dinshaw, then I am not sure I understand what the problem exactly is? hehe :)Are you saying that the minimums doesn't change back to the f/o selected minimums?Or are you saying that the minimums shouldn't change back after have been in the "Both on 1" display switch?

Okay Dinshaw, then I am not sure I understand what the problem exactly is? hehe :)Are you saying that the minimums doesn't change back to the f/o selected minimums?Or are you saying that the minimums shouldn't change back after have been in the "Both on 1" display switch?
Hi AndersThis is exactly what I am saying. Both your statements are what I was trying to convey. I also just checked with a friend who is an NG captain and he verified the same. Hope they fix it in the next update.Cheers,Dinshaw Parakh

I've seen pilots use this trick, too, Dini. It works well for the pilot who running a bit behind.It's a tiny tiny one, but it sounds like a bug. More of a mite, really. I wouldn't wait for a Hotfix. :)

Matt Cee

I've seen pilots use this trick, too, Dini. It works well for the pilot who running a bit behind.It's a tiny tiny one, but it sounds like a bug. More of a mite, really. I wouldn't wait for a Hotfix. :)
Hi Matt,Thanks for your comment. Yes, I do agree it is very small and largely insignificant, but a "mite" nonetheless. Knowing Pmdg's penchant for perfection, I think it will probably be rectified.Cheers,Dinshaw Parakh.