Sign in to follow this  
sjed

Reverse Thrust

Has anyone been able to use reverse thrust yet? If so, please clue me in on how to use it. I'm not familiar with Xplane's way of using it. Thanks

SJED

I don't know, I am about to investigate myself as on the king air I noticed it was going on inadvertently because it seems to be mapped about 1/3 the way on the throttle axis. I didnt know exactly what was going on for a while as weird things started to occur as I was idling back :) So I need to figure out how to change where it kicks in, I will let you know.

It can be assigned in the joystick and equipment menu. If you have spare axix on your joystick, use that.

I've seen that but how exactly does it work. Do I just1) push the toggle button once and then use the throttle to apply reverse thrust2) push and hold down the toggle button to engage the reverse thrust3) push and hold toggle down at same time I'm using throttleI'm just not sure how to apply it in Xplane

SJED

I am not having any luck at all. I could not find how to adjust it on my throttle axis so that it doesnt engage so near the middle. I only want it to engage near the back. So I took your advise Mike and mapped reverse1 and reverse two to another throttle quadrant but I am getting really mixed results. On first try it seemed to work but in the same flight it went haywire and I cant get it working. What happens is that the reverse works but my normal throttle1 and two also want to push the plane backwards or seem to rev up but not deliver any thrust. This is with the default king air.

Jason,Why don't you just map a "keyboard button" to Toggle Reverse Thrusters.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

OK, I will give that a go. Mapping reverse as an axis removed it from my throttle axis so if a button does the same I will be happy with that.

ok, this is what I have seen with the toggle button. if throttle is at full the reverse thrust will work, when I back off the throttle it reverts to normal. Thats ok. The problem is that my left and right throttle axis still have reverse thrusters mapped to them. on the warthog throttle this is about where the throttle is straight up. It is far too easy to go from near idle to reverse in flight which is very annoying. Anywhere I can set where the reverse activates on my throttle axis?

There are a few options here1. Assign an axis to "reverse thrust" - then simply push that axis when you want reverse thrust2. Assign a button to "toggle reverse thrust" - then you can use your throttle axis. Pull your throttle axis back to idle, press the "toggle reverse thrust butotn" then push your thottle up to increase reverse thrust power. don't forget to press the toggle again to turn reverse thrust off.3. Assign a button to "reverse thrust" - pressing and holding the button will engage reverse thrust.If you have Saitek throttle quadrant - pulling an axis down past the bottom of the axis (into the red area) presses a button - assign this button to reverse thrust so that by pulling the axis all the way down you engage reverse thrust.With the same throttle quadrant, you could assign the button that the axis presses to "toggle reverse thrust" so this way by pulling the throttle all the way down to the stop, you activate reverse thrust - now you need to push the throttle forward yto increase reverse thrust power - then pull down to the bottom again to toggle back to normal power.If you find that you're getting reverse thrust about a 1/3 of the way down an axis, that means you have checked "use CH Throttle quadrant" in joystick assignments (under equipment tab I tihnk). The CH throttle quadrant has a indent below which checking this box causes the axis to go into reverse thrust. other throttle quadrants do not have the indent, but x-plane doesn't know this. Just uncheck the box and your throttle axis should work properly.Finally - X-plane does not have individual reverse thrust for each engine - so far.

Thanks lightplane, I have gone back and tried thrust_reverse_toggle and thrust_reverse_hold. I like the thrust_reverse_hold which is at 100% when you want it. I don't have the CH throttle ticked but I am getting that behavior which is no good on the warthog throttle because there is no indent or any clue that you are about to go in to reverse thrust. The only option that ride me of reverse thrust on my throttle axis, as you describe the ch would behave, is to make a reverse axis to another axis. Between finishing this post I just spent 5 mins testing and this is what I have found happens when mapping rever thrusters on another axis. reverse1 and reverse 2 are supported so far as I can use them individually and each engine responds as I think it should. Now, the problem is when I first use the reverse thrusters my main throttle then turns in to a reverse thruster as well. It's as if when I first use reverse on my other quadrant the game remaps my throttle one and two to reverse as well. It must be a bug because it's too whacky to make sense.

Well I've tried everything I can think of. Has ANYONE been able to get the reverse thruster to work on the demo. I'm trying to narrow it down to the program or my thrustmaster joystick.

SJED

Well I've tried everything I can think of. Has ANYONE been able to get the reverse thruster to work on the demo. I'm trying to narrow it down to the program or my thrustmaster joystick.
Yes - see my post above for details on how to use thrust reverse.
Thanks lightplane, I have gone back and tried thrust_reverse_toggle and thrust_reverse_hold. I like the thrust_reverse_hold which is at 100% when you want it. I don't have the CH throttle ticked but I am getting that behavior which is no good on the warthog throttle because there is no indent or any clue that you are about to go in to reverse thrust. The only option that ride me of reverse thrust on my throttle axis, as you describe the ch would behave, is to make a reverse axis to another axis. Between finishing this post I just spent 5 mins testing and this is what I have found happens when mapping rever thrusters on another axis. reverse1 and reverse 2 are supported so far as I can use them individually and each engine responds as I think it should. Now, the problem is when I first use the reverse thrusters my main throttle then turns in to a reverse thruster as well. It's as if when I first use reverse on my other quadrant the game remaps my throttle one and two to reverse as well. It must be a bug because it's too whacky to make sense.
Can you report that to Laminar Research - they have a bug report - just google xplane bug report and you'll find it. Send them your log.txt too - found in the root directory for x-plane.

Thanks Lightplane. I could not get the toggle switch to work but the reverse "hold" button works. Thanks again.

SJED