Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

It's the end for Continental.

On November 30, 2011, Continental Airlines completely merged into United Airlines, forming... well... United Airlines (by itself).http://en.wikipedia....United_Airlines*sniff* I really enjoyed my flights with Continental to Brazil, England, France, Peru, and some other domestic destinations. I really liked their service, and how courteous they are to you at check in. (Except one time at KIAH the staff was really rude, but it was Houston Airport System staff, not Continental. happy.png )I wonder how United's service is, I've never flown with them before and looking at their reputation, I'm scared whether this is going to be good for Continental. Oh well, it's too late to go back now, I guess.

I agree it's sad to see Continental go especially when they can't come up with a more creative livery than sticking 'UNITED' on the side of Continental schemed planes. It's already starting off wrong. I love how they sold the notion of two equally merged partners (yea right)... Anyway I've gotten used to the whole thing and actually somewhat like the livery now. All in all it's just another over bloated airline that can do what it wants because of it's size. Continental should have put up a bigger fight much the same way Northwest should have. Northwest's sovereignty was more solid that Delta yet Delta won, go figure. United is another story just the same I believe Continental was on good footing to stand on it's own.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I agree it's sad to see Continental go especially when they can't come up with a more creative livery than sticking 'UNITED' on the side of Continental schemed planes. It's already starting off wrong. I love how they sold the notion of two equally merged partners (yea right)... Anyway I've gotten used to the whole thing and actually somewhat like the livery now. All in all it's just another over bloated airline that can do what it wants because of it's size. Continental should have put up a bigger fight much the same way Northwest should have. Northwest's sovereignty was more solid that Delta yet Delta won, go figure. United is another story just the same I believe Continental was on good footing to stand on it's own.
I don't like the United livery either. I think it's bland, and completely boring. Compare it to even American's, with the shiny metal-thing style. Although EVERY TIME I'm at an airport and I see an American Airlines airplane it gives me a headache, I still enjoy the design. cool.png

I went to Las Vegas from Newark last week. The service I think is going down the tubes. We had a guy who had a pretty strong accent check our bags in. He wasn't very friendly or holiday cheery.Then coming back, we got to the airport at 0630 for 0800 departure only to have announced at 0715 our flight will be delayed because of a problem with an emergency exit (why didn't someone notice this problem the night before?). It sounded like the air slide inflation system needed replacing. They didn't have any in LAS, so it was sent from Houston, but apparently someone forgot hazmat paperwork so it missed a flight and had to be sent on a a second flight one hour later (which was around 11 a.m. at that point). During the wait, they tried to keep us up to date with information, but towards the end the stopped updating us with good information other than stay near the gate, we may be boarding soon (1 hour became two hours). We boarded around 1430. We arrived in EWR around 2330. A 15 hour trip and I had a full week of work. It wasn't fun being stuck in an airport watching other EWR (and flights to Houston which have flights to EWR) flights leave (they were booked full and shuffling people around so those going to Europe would not miss their flights).I've been delayed before, but I think this was the worst one.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I went to Las Vegas from Newark last week. The service I think is going down the tubes. We had a guy who had a pretty strong accent check our bags in. He wasn't very friendly or holiday cheery.Then coming back, we got to the airport at 0630 for 0800 departure only to have announced at 0715 our flight will be delayed because of a problem with an emergency exit (why didn't someone notice this problem the night before?). It sounded like the air slide inflation system needed replacing. They didn't have any in LAS, so it was sent from Houston, but apparently someone forgot hazmat paperwork so it missed a flight and had to be sent on a a second flight one hour later (which was around 11 a.m. at that point). During the wait, they tried to keep us up to date with information, but towards the end the stopped updating us with good information other than stay near the gate, we may be boarding soon (1 hour became two hours). We boarded around 1430. We arrived in EWR around 2330. A 15 hour trip and I had a full week of work. It wasn't fun being stuck in an airport watching other EWR (and flights to Houston which have flights to EWR) flights leave (they were booked full and shuffling people around so those going to Europe would not miss their flights).I've been delayed before, but I think this was the worst one.
I had a similar experience, and it would be my only bad one with Continental. It was a a few years ago, and a flight from KIAH - SBGR (Sao Paulo-Guarulhos Intl.) with Continental. Once we arrived in SBGR, we would board an immediate GOL Airlines flight to SBPA, the closest airport to my home town, which does have an international airport (SBPK) but Porto Alegre and Pelotas are very close, so buying another ticked from SBPA to SBPK would be a waste.So, we had everything planned until somebody ruins the plan. Who? Continental. The flight was delayed SO much (I don't even remember anymore! Like 5 hours?) we had to go to the Continental customer service kiosk (near Terminal E I believe) and try to use the courtesy phones to call Brazil and cancel the GOL flight, but Continental representatives weren't even helping. The line kept getting disconnected because of the long distance and that the GOL phone number had one of those automated systems that asks you what you're calling about. There were 3 phones, and one Brazilian guy came and said in Portuguese, thinking we were American, "Little kids playing with the phones...." Sort of like a speaking-thought. Yes, I was trying to call. After he said that, almost all 4 of us said "F#CK YOU" but we decided to not to and give 1 phone to him. LOLAnyway, we finally got connected to a GOL agent, and she cancelled the tickets for us with a restocking fee. My dad got furious with Continental. We boarded the delayed plane, went to SBGR, then we waited at Sao Paulo for another GOL flight to SBPA because all of them had left. So we bought the ticket and were stuck at the airport for 3 hours. Another airplane finally came, we boarded it and went to SPBA. At Porto Alegre, all went well with our luggage. We took the bus to Pelotas and our bad experience was over.At the return though.... everything went well except at Houston. When we got there, my dad called Continental and argued and fought with them for 2 hours trying to make them pay that restocking fee GOL charged. I don't remember what happened after that.... I have to go ask him.

Ah, well. At least I can continue to see Continental 757s at Manchester and Edinburgh in FSX with Ultimate Traffic 2 smile.png

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Well my bad experience was on United! On a Hawaii trip from BOS-LAX-HNL-SFO-BOS, First on the HNL-SFO leg an early morning flight on a 777-200 on taxi out, after the safety video, the flight attendants welcomed us all on the flight to Los Angeles. They didn't clear that up until we took off. I had a seat by the door which was nice with the extra leg room but carryon's had to go in the overhead, for obvious reasons. What concerned me, was evidently they stow the serving carts right in front of the door, using locks built right into the floor. In an emergency, I think this would hinder evacuation. I sent a letter to UA about this but got no response. That was minor though as far as my frustration with UA. On my return flight to BOS, I got to the airport early, about 4 hours. When I went to get my boarding pass, of which I have already reserved a window seat on line, I was just picking the BP up. (This was before online check in) I was told this flight wouldn't begin check in for another hour. So I returned when told to, and was told They couldn't issue me a boarding pass yet to go to the gate, No explanation why. (I had a confirmed and paid for full price ticket.) When I got to the gate I was told to wait until called, 10-15 minutes before the flight I was brought up to get my now standby ticket which now was assigned a middle seat for my transcontinental flight back to Boston. No explanation why, no apology, and no price adjustment. Needless to say I have and never will willingly fly with them again. I have never had any other airline treat me that way. I now fly mainly JetBlue or Delta!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Survival of the fittest. Continental Airlines was found criminally responsible for the disaster to Concorde (Air France Flight 4590). There was a lot of very wealthy people on that Concorde looking for settlement.I wouldn't fly United anyways because United Breaks Guitars LOL.gifCheers

Matthew Kane

Survival of the fittest. Continental Airlines was found criminally responsible for the disaster to Concorde (Air France Flight 4590). There was a lot of very wealthy people on that Concorde looking for settlement.
Still, Concordes are/were ugly as $h!t lol. The DC10 was not the cause of the accident, the piece of debris was. I liked the Continental DC-10's livery. I had http://upload.wikime...lines_DC-10.jpg as my wallpaper for a while. I think McDonnell Douglas were pretty. Shame they were bought. 787 is no where as pretty as a DC10 or MD11.Also, if MCD had sold any MD12s they might have stayed in business.
I wouldn't fly United anyways because United Breaks Guitars LOL.gifCheers
I remember that! Edited by linux731

The DC10 was not the cause of the accident, the piece of debris was.
Exactly, not to mention Stanley Ford who installed that piece of metal contrary to both Continental policy and FAA regulation. It is amazing how one persons actions can cause so much damage. Continental may still be a company today if it wasn't for that.Cheers

Matthew Kane

Exactly, not to mention Stanley Ford who installed that piece of metal contrary to both Continental policy and FAA regulation. It is amazing how one persons actions can cause so much damage. Continental may still be a company today if it wasn't for that.Cheers
But that was over 10 years ago. I am sure the FAA noticed that.

But that was over 10 years ago. I am sure the FAA noticed that.
I don't know how/why that part went unnoticed for so long. Perhaps it was assumed it was made out of Aluminum when it was Titanium.

Matthew Kane

Survival of the fittest. Continental Airlines was found criminally responsible for the disaster to Concorde (Air France Flight 4590). There was a lot of very wealthy people on that Concorde looking for settlement.I wouldn't fly United anyways because United Breaks Guitars LOL.gifCheers
I wouldn't fly Delta because I had a layover in Atlanta and they told us we could leave our belongings on the plane, when I came back my coat was gone, yet a lot of other bags and belongings were still there!

10700k / Gigabyte 3060