Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Brakes on the C-182

I am having trouble stopping the C182 Skylane after landing. It seems even with a landing speed of about 80 kts, and the yoke fully forward with brakes applied, it takes most of the runway to stop.Also, after landing and while taxiing, while retracting flaps, I got an annoying horn that I could not find the source of and no way could I shut it off. I could not find this in the manual. Any ideas? Speed was only normal taxiing speed. Thanks. Tom

open aircraft.cfg file with notepad.Scroll right down till you get section [brakes]under this section will be an entrey called "toe_brakes_scale". increase the value to increase stopping power.eg it wastoe_brakes_scale=0.7change it totoe_brakes_scale=0.8test and re adjust till you happy

Guest bstolle
It seems even with a landing speed of about 80 kts, and the yoke fully forward with brakes applied, it takes most of the runway to stop.
When pushing the wheel fully forward you unload the mainwheels, thereby reducing braking capability and putting a lot of strain on the nose wheel. IRL you pull the yoke fully back when braking.

Guest BeaverDriver

Quick addendum "Flaps30", try landing a lot slower than 80 kts. At that speed you are still flying so you're gear isn't really making a whole lot of contact with the ground anyway. I generally use 65 kts indicated for approach in the 182 (used that IRL as well) and it seems to work pretty good. After flaring, hold the aircraft off until it settles onto the ground itself (should be around 50 to 55 kts max) using about 30 degrees of flap under normal wind conditions. You'll find you have plenty of braking then.Hope that helps happy0072.gif