Sign in to follow this  
Wasso

Guide for installing/tuning/tweaking FSX

Hello!I'm having some really disturbing problems with FSX, and I can't find any other way around it than reinstalling it from the very beginning (perhaps Windows as well). I've heard somewhere that someone has made a guide for installation of FSX (Windows 7) including all settings in the "weird part of Windows" and so on. Where can I find this?Regards!/Wasso

You'll find all of the guides pinned to the top of the fsx forum over at simaviation.com by NickNIAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

And this thread: http://forum.avsim.n...p0-conclusions/It was a sticky at one time and it should continue to be a sticky.It is David's summary of the longest thread in the FSX forum ever (1,000+ replies) and it summarizes the main points from *******' tweaks. I use many of these suggestions combined with Nick's recommendations. Start with Nick's stuff and once things are set up, move on to *******' stuff as needed. The combo has worked really well for me.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Hi Wasso,May I also suggest using Bojote's tweaker at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html. This nifty tool takes your current FSX.cfg file and tweaks it automatically for top performance. I just tried it for the first time and although I am still checking the results, FSX looks much sharper and smoother so far. Cheers. Tom

Hi Wasso,May I also suggest using Bojote's tweaker at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html. This nifty tool takes your current FSX.cfg file and tweaks it automatically for top performance. I just tried it for the first time and although I am still checking the results, FSX looks much sharper and smoother so far. Cheers. Tom
That tool is nice when you don't like to tweak yourself, but if you want the most out of your system, you have to tweak manually because not every tweak works well for every system. Give everything you can find a try and stick with what works best. Also try one tweak at a time. The problem with the online tool is that a LOT of thngs are changed at once and you can't really tell which single tweak works and which one doesn't. And imho it's better to have at least tweaks as possible in the cfg.

Hi Jeroen,I see your point, but in my case at least, I think this was a better option since I know nothing about any of the individual tweaks. If the auto tweaker made things worse, I would have then just gone to trying one by one changes with help that I could hopefully get in the forums. I guess the tweaker isn't perfect, for example, I'm not even sure I entered the hardware specs correctly (it asked for how many cpus/threads I have. I entered 8 since I have an i7-920 with 4 cores plus 4 virtual for a total of 8. I still don't know if this is correct. Do you happen to know??) Thanks. Regards, Tom

The auto tweak tool didn't work well for me. Selective, manual tweaking was the best option. Nicks stuff, however, is more all or nothing.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Hi Jeroen, I see your point, but in my case at least, I think this was a better option since I know nothing about any of the individual tweaks
The auto tweak tool didn't work well for me. Selective, manual tweaking was the best option. Nicks stuff, however, is more all or nothing.
You both comfirm what I was trying to say. happy.png The tool is nice and helpful indeed if you don't know how to tweak and don't want to dive into it all. But to get the most out of your system you need to dive into it anyway. About the 8 cores: I guess that's correct in theory but if you use the PC mainly for FSX I would disable HT and go for four real cores.About NickN's guide: it's indeed all or nothing, but imho it's way too much and over the top. With nowadays hardware a lot of his (Windows) tips are not needed at all. Imho of course.

I tried the auto tweaker and was not at all happy with the results.Used Nick's tweaks and even though you have to do the tweaks manually, the results are outstanding!

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1