Sign in to follow this  
FlyingAxx

How to prevent OOM errors without loosing eye candy?

Hello guys,Today I experienced once more one of those OOM errors after landing in EDDF. After reducing some settings it's now seldom but it happens at big airports with some probability. Even if I was able to ignore the message till shutting down the sim regularly I would like to know some recommendations how to deal with settings without loosing the fun. As far I'm able to observe FSX is blowing up its memory use all the time during a flight. If too much AI traffic is the reason, I do not understand why I can start e.g. in Paris, Frankfurt, London or Amsterdam while having everything crowded with AI and building up the memory use without any changes. The amount of a/c seems to be almost the same.Today I tinkered quite a long time with the sidstar-file of EDDF in order to implement the new rwy 07L/25R and tested for hours with running engines while the traffic around was going on. Nothing happened at all. When flying the new implemented ILS approach I made a turn around the airport by using a SID and backwards a new (modified) Transition. Just before touching down (as almost usual if so) I got the beloved OOM message. I do not understand why it seems that FSX never gives back once associated memory, at least when flying with the NGX. Even if AI is completely switched off when reaching a certain border there is no reduction of memory use noticeable.Dear PMDG guys, I can remember an early promise to give recommendations for the settings. I might have missed those and if so someone may give me a hint where to find the related thread. If this is still an open point I would like to set a soft reminder.I'm using UT2 with 80% weekly traffic density and 70% daily traffic. AI in FSX is set to zero and cars, ships etc. are less than 15%. ASE was not running!

Regards,
Axel

I´m using FSX with pritty high setting and only 4 Gb RAM and I never had an OOM. That´s somehow strange. Some guys seem get that very often and some others (like me) very rarely or never.

I´m using FSX with pritty high setting and only 4 Gb RAM and I never had an OOM. That´s somehow strange. Some guys seem get that very often and some others (like me) very rarely or never.
It might be UT2 making the difference. It could be as well UTX Europe as I do not believe that mesh (FSGenesis) can cause the problem.

Regards,
Axel

how true.. i'm one of the lucky ones!

this occurs usually due to "buggy" add-on software...ie. memory leaks. Aerosoft ManhattanX is a major culprit of this

Well i used to be in your shoes but after the SP1 of PMDG737NGX it has helped alot in array like Orly,Paris for me. I Have not tried out EHAM and EGLL yet but i can run those airports now with Autogen on MAX but UT2 is at 30%. Boats at 40% FSX AI 0%Everything maxed out in Graphics beside water LOWx2 and weather at 60nm. Texturemaxload is 1024. Maybe this is a issue?Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Well i used to be in your shoes but after the SP1 of PMDG737NGX it has helped alot in array like Orly,Paris for me. I Have not tried out EHAM and EGLL yet but i can run those airports now with Autogen on MAX but UT2 is at 30%. Boats at 40% FSX AI 0%Everything maxed out in Graphics beside water LOWx2 and weather at 60nm. Texturemaxload is 1024. Maybe this is a issue?Michael
Hello Michael,It seems that I have to reduce UT2 as well but 30% seems to me like missing quite a lot of fun. My graphic settings did not change too much and weather settings as well. The remaining question is why FSX does not "forget" high loads and continues to build up used memory even when flying towards more remote areas.

Regards,
Axel

Hello Michael,It seems that I have to reduce UT2 as well but 30% seems to me like missing quite a lot of fun. My graphic settings did not change too much and weather settings as well. The remaining question is why FSX does not "forget" high loads and continues to build up used memory even when flying towards more remote areas.
Yes beats me too for sure .Compromises is to be made but not with Autogen because the sim is so much more smooth on MAX for me :-)/Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Well i did a test flight LOWI-EGLL with Autogen Maxed out and did not get OOM (VAS at 3.5GB) which is a new one as well.30% UT2 seems to be the best spot around EGLL,LFPG,ORLY and perhaps also EHAM.PMDG has done a great thing with Memory and smoothness optimising/Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Thanks Michael, I'll give it a go (first I'll try out 50%). However 3.5GB looks like being the borderline...

Regards,
Axel

Well i did a test flight LOWI-EGLL with Autogen Maxed out and did not get OOM (VAS at 3.5GB) which is a new one as well. 30% UT2 seems to be the best spot around EGLL,LFPG,ORLY and perhaps also EHAM. PMDG has done a great thing with Memory and smoothness optimising /Michael
Thanks Michael, I'll give it a go (first I'll try out 50%). However 3.5GB looks like being the borderline...
Well, 50% UT2 produced an OOM at EHAM. I reduced traffic to 30% and made a flight between EHAM and EGLL without running out of memory - QED as far as your settings are concerned.
  • As an interesting 1st note: the usage of memory even exceeded slightly the first (failing) leg but nothing happened (at a bit more than 3.5GB!).
  • 2nd note: Even in the first case I'd been able to fly another 15 Nm and just got a small display error after the landing when an other aircraft just appeared as a black block. I'd been able to shut down everything like normal.

Regards,
Axel