Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Recent ILS approach issues

Hey gang,So recently I have started having some issues, with my ils approaches. Not sure if my nomenclanture is quite right on this - basically after turning on final, the vertical bar, which shows horizontal positioning, does not even move relative to the assigned landing runway, like it used to. And more often times than not, the horizontal bar relative to the glide path, does not even show up.This is on some flights, I have flow previously where i know they did.The recent change, I added GEX and REX2 about a week and a half ago.I have been creating my flight plan from within the REX software, so I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Guess I could go back and recreate the same flights from the FSX flight planner and see if that makes a difference.Just wondering why all of a sudden I am not getting these aides like I used to...Any tips would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,

Guest jahman
  1. Is your NAV/GPS switch set to NAV?
  2. Is your NAV1 Radio tuned to the RWY LOCalizer Frequency?
  3. Are you within 5 to 10 NM of the airport?

Cheers,- jahman.

I know # 2 and #3 are yes, I will double check #1 but am pretty sure it is.Thanks,

jahman,Well you hit the nail on the head with #1 !Recently I have been playing with and learning the autopilot, and apparently head been setting the switch to GPS so my autopilot would follow the waypoint assignments. Then, when I was directed to start the turns for the approach, I was leaving it on GPS, and just disengaging the heading hold switch.So I loaded up the same flight this morning after seeing your post, and made sure I switched it to NAV when I was directed to start my approach turns this time, and it worked beautifully once again.Many thanks, saved me some hair from being pulled out! im Not Worthy.gif

When you are flying ILS, once you acquire the localizer, switch your AP to APR. If you are using the RXP GNS***, it should be on VLOC.

Guest jahman
jahman,Well you hit the nail on the head with #1 !Recently I have been playing with and learning the autopilot, and apparently head been setting the switch to GPS so my autopilot would follow the waypoint assignments. Then, when I was directed to start the turns for the approach, I was leaving it on GPS, and just disengaging the heading hold switch.So I loaded up the same flight this morning after seeing your post, and made sure I switched it to NAV when I was directed to start my approach turns this time, and it worked beautifully once again.Many thanks, saved me some hair from being pulled out! im%20Not%20Worthy.gif
You're welcome! (That switch got me too a few too many times...) Happy simming!Cheers,- jahman.

Hey superglide,I just gave it a try ( switching to APR ).Worked beautifully - hard to believe, I have been flying FSX off and on ever since it's release, and I am just now taking the time to learn the autopilot functions. I switched to APR once I was established on the localizer, and let it fly me down to just before crossing over the runway, then I turned the AP off and greased it right in. Very easy.Thanks for the tip,

Can anyone tell me how one knows when the localizer is acquired? I have only just learned how do do a full FMC/GPS and ILS flight, and switching from GPS to NAV has always been guesswork. I got lucky every time (5 or so landings), but how would I know for sure?

Typically your CDI (course deviation indicator) will go live and your glide slope indicator will become visible. You can also turn on your NAV1 ID and you will hear the Morse Code signal. If you are flying with VOR, your localizer indicator will come alive and start to react to the aircraft course changes.Here's a pretty good primer for Flight Sim Navigation: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm