Sign in to follow this  
Trevo711

Alpha channels problem - Can you help?

I'm told this repaint i've just installed in the PMDG 747X on FSX has a problem with its alpha channels being black. I've also been told this can be fixed using DXTBmp, which I have. Can anyone instruct me how to fix this? Never come across this problem before as i've created repaints myself. Cheers! Trevo

The darker the alpha channel, the shinnier you aircraft will look, like the one you show on your screenshot. It starts looking like bare metal depending on the shade of grey you use for the aircraft. If this is PMDG's 747, you might want to extract the Alpha from an existing aircraft that doesn't have that shine, and imported through DXTBmp, then save it as the original file name over riding the old. As always, make copies in case of Oops. This would be the easiest way to fix this problem, instead of you trying to make your own alpha channel.

I have this same problem although it happens seemingly by itself. Will a particular format make the alpha channel turn to an almost all black? I can save it as a light grey, the way I want it... and the next time I open it up in DXTbmp it's nearly solid black - very, very frustrating.