Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

CPUs/Threads in Bojote's Tweaking Tool?

Hi,Does anyone know what the line "CPUs/Threads" in Bojote's Tweaking Tool means? I took a guess that it meant total cores plus virtual cores. Since my cpu is the i7-920, I looked in Task Manager and it shows 8 divisions in the top graph. Doesn't this mean that there are 8 active cores? I cannot find a direct email or forum site for the Tweaking Tool, but I seem to remember there was an option to ask for help after I completed the FSX.cfg test and got to the results page. However I forgot to ask then, and there isn't an option that I could find on the opening Tweaker Tool page. Thanks. Tom

No it means you have 8 threads, I think it has 4 cores. The tool wool set the affinity properly so that e.g. core 0 is left for terrain loading and the rest is on the other cores

Thanks for the help, Squishy. Then what do I put in the Cores/Threads entry - it only wants one number? What do you mean by "tool wool" and affinity? Forgive me, but I don't know that much about the tech side. Tom

Then what do I put in the Cores/Threads entry - it only wants one number?
Leave affinity mask entry off or use 14. Those are the options to go and you'd better test both options and use the one which works best for your rig. For me 14 is gives smoother performance, that is FSX utilizes mostly 2,3 and 4 cores (if I remember correct, texture manager still runs on 1st core). If you leave AM option off the config, FSX uses all cores, but heavily burdens the first core, where OS and many other background processes are in many cases running.Your processor, same as mine, has four cores but OS sees it as eight because of the HyperThreading, which is sort of virtual core technique made to optimize the use of the core pipeline. Utilizing HT is completely program specific and unfortunately FSX can't take advantage of HyperThreading, which is the same for many other games as they are pretty complex to make work well with that many threads: you just end up in a situation, where program needs to wait some threads (some are calculated faster than others) and you only benefit little or nothing in performance from the extra threads, but at the same time your programming becomes a lot more complex.

Hey Flaps30,Just catching up on this, but I thought I should answer your original question. If you use Bojote's tool, put the total number of threads in where asked. If you have a quad core processor with hyperthreading on, then put in 8. ******* asks you to put in the number of threads as shown when you start the task manager, and that includes virtual threads. But he follows up with the question on whether or not hyperthreading is on. If you are seeing 8 threads in task manager ( 8 columns in the graph) and have a quad core processor, then HT is on.Affinity mask of 14 is great if hyperthreading is off. But from what you said in the first post, a quad core processor with hyperthreading will not like an AF setting of 14. In fact, I would recommend 84 for a quad core w/ hyperthreading on. But, if you can turn hyperthreading off in the BIOS (that is, you don't run anything else that can take advantage of hyperthreading), then use AF=14.--Don

Don Polidori

General consensus with a quad core is to turn off hyperthreading and use an affinity mask of 14.That gives you the smoothiest experience in FSX on most systems because it uses cores 1, 2 & 3 for the sim and leaves core 0 free for other background tasks (which are the things that normally casue stuters).IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)