Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Blurries annoys me a lot in FSX

I have Win 7 x64 and FSX Acceleration installed on a 120 Gb SSD drive. Still blurries is a great problem. What is the most effective way to cure this. I thought a SSD drive would make wonders here. Might also mention that this is a concern also in FS9 but that is on mechanical 7200 rpm drive.My systemAMD Phenom II X4 965BE 3.4 GHz4 Gb PC6400 RAMNVIDIA GTS 250 1 GbOCZ Vertex plus 120 Gb (filled to about 75%)

Guest firehawk44

This is a very common problem with FSX/FS9. Google 'blurries fsx' and you'll find hundreds of posts related to this subject throughout the FS community. That's my suggestion as there is no setting that gets rid of blurries for everyone. You just have to tweak your sliders and display card settings to match your system. The most common fault for blurries though is moving the sliders too high whereas your system has trouble finding enough resources to render the texture efficiently. Another common reason is the fact FSX/FS9 are both very old computer programs that were not developed for todays technology.Best regards,Jim

Yeah it has more to do with CPU power...SSD's reduce loading times that's about it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I pretty much got rid of the blurries by starting to use BP=0 and now I only see it sometimes for a while when quickly changing outside views. But before that, I couldn't find a way to make the game blur free.Unfortunately, I believe your GTS250 can't handle that without graphics corruption at least with higher detail levels.

The by far most important tweak for getting rid of the blurries is to increase the LOD_RADIUS. Anything lower than 5.5 looks very blurry in my opinion. 6.5 should be fairly good, altho be adviced, you will see an increase in memory usage, especially over areas where you have addon scenery like in OrbX Land. Be adviced, any change you make to FSX settings using the in-game settings dialogs will reset the LOD_RADIUS back to 4.5 (the highest possible setting using the in-game sliders).If increasing the LOD_RADIUS didnt help enough then I would make sure that I have configured my graphics cards drivers properly. If you got an nVidia card I would follow the instructions in this forum post -> http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/. I have no idea how to do it with AMD cards (I'm an nVidia guy). Finally, if increasing the LOD_RADIUS and configuring the gfx driver didnt help then there's the a final tweak, the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION tweak. The default value for FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION is 0.33. A higher number than 0.33 means more time spent on processing textures, a lower number means less time. Dont go crazy on this, something like 0.6 should be more than plenty. Altho, dont expect miracles with this tweak. The LOD_RADIUS and the FIBER_FRAME_FRACTION tweak has to be manually applied to your fsx.cfg

The single thing that improved "the blurries" for me was discontinuing the external fps limiter andlimit fps within FSX itself... as well as keeping your sliders from sliding to the right.. or flying over Seattle.

Bert

I just ordered this: The Solid State drive does NOTHING for performance. I needed more space, and I'm upgrading my 300 gb Raptor with this. I have no blurries, and I'm pretty much all to the right, and I have FSX on its own drive.http://bestharddrive...ard-drive-2011/StanPs. I bought Norton Ghost, and I'm going to clone my C drive as it exists to this new drive. I expect FSX to run just as flawlessly as it does now, but perhaps faster with much more room to get some of the fantastic addons that exist....especially scenery.

Could you explain cloning and exactly what Norton ghost is? Could this be used to back up your main hard drive just in case?

Keith Sandford.

If you are running unlimited frames, then I suggest you lock your framerate at 25 or 30. Running at unlimited is one of the major contributing factor to blurries. Then of course, running with sliders too far to the right, untweaked cfg, too many boxes ticked in preferences, cloud draw distance, LOD. There are many, but I suggest first you lock your framerate if you have not already done so. Then follow the advice of others here on dropping your sliders. For a more permanent solution (?), OC your system and upgrade your GPU.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Could you explain cloning and exactly what Norton ghost is? Could this be used to back up your main hard drive just in case?
Cloning is a term used for copying your hard drive or drives in such a way that in case of a failure, either software or hardware, you will have a complete copy of your entire hardrive aloing with the OS and registries. It is not possible to simply copy and past the contents of your drive, as there are registries and other elements to consider. Having a prgram like Norton Ghost or Acronis allows you to make a secure backup of all your OS and FSX files so in case of failure you are secure in knowing you won't have to spend days or weeks reinstalling everything, as well as all your profiles from all your addons!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey !Mayba you wanna try this:http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/37367-finally-without-blurries/I'm still running without blurries .Cheers, Carsten

Carsten U

The single thing that improved "the blurries" for me was discontinuing the external fps limiter andlimit fps within FSX itself... as well as keeping your sliders from sliding to the right.. or flying over Seattle.
I was using external fps limiter so I tried without it and used both internal fps limit and internal unlimited fps. Result I get a clear improvement in performence with the external fps limiter and also a little less stutter. With internal unlimited I got more frequent and pronounced stutters. Blurries remained pretty much the same. So discontinue externa fps limiter is clearly a bad idea. Neither is staying far away from Seattle an option for me since I have purchesed the ORBX NA sceneries including Anocartes 74S from which I flew the Extra 300S for this blurrie test. The ORBX scenery is meant to be used with sliders to the right so moving them left is neither that an option.I will try out the other suggestions.

The ORBX scenery is meant to be used with sliders to the right so moving them left is neither that an option.
What gave you that idea...? Surely not their manuals...! I agree that they look best with sliders right though... but it's not MEANT to be used with sliders right.But er... LOL It's no wonder you have blurries... The Extra 300S simply is too fast for blurry free flying: don't expect total blur free flying with that one. And besides that: Anacortes is a heavy scenery too...! I think you simply are expecting way too much. I do have great performance all over PNW (average fps between 25 to my max 30 everywhere over there) but I fly the Katana 4X: if I would fly the Extra 300S I'd have blurries everywhere too.

Pretty much a case of:1. Lower your scenery and weather settings2. Try the usepools=0 tweak3. Limit the framerates4. Try increasing the LOD radius inthe fsx.cfg5. Try tweaking the texturre bandwidth mult setting6. Try a higher fiber frame time setting (try 1.00 and 1.5)Its really down to horsepower and a 3.4 GHz chip simply won't hack it at high settings.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)