Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chew

Disappointing experience while trying X-Plane 10 demo

Just revisited X-Plane for the first time in a few years with the V.10 demo.I was so blown away that I was ready to order my copy, just as soon as I figured out the right setting to activate my Nvidia 3D Vision glasses.Man, was I ever disappointed to learn, after a little looking around, that OpenGL graphics aren't supported by these glasses, and that there's currently no solution to make them and X-Plane 10 work together.I've been simming in 3D for about three years now, and find there's just no going back to 2D. For me it would be like switching to a new sim, and not being able to use, say, TrackIR.I would love Nvidia to reconsider releasing OpenGL for their 3D Vision glasses, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.Just wanted to say how impressed I was with the demo, and what a pity it is that it looks like I won't be using it, at least not regularly, because of this one deal breaker.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Laminar do support 3d glasses, the Edimensional ones if I remember correctly, it's listed on the same page as TrackIR.

Cheers, Andy.

I thought the eDimensional glasses were the small LCD screens 0.5" in front of your eyes for a more immersive screen...didn't see anything about 3d...AFAIK, the 3d Surround nVidia uses is by seeing the DirectX z-buffer for making the 3d imagery. They would have to use the OpenGL z-buffer and there are some complications with that. OpenGL is supported via multiple platforms and DirectX being MS only, is easier to do. Since you have drivers specific to MAC/Linux/Windows, the OpenGL renderer is OS specific and the software is also OS specific, it makes things that are cross-platform to do the 3d Surround with. So for the most part, I've only seen DX10/DX11 games support 3d surround. It would seem nVidia worked with MS to get this feature working. Not sure on the ATI side of things, though. May be a different idea altogether.On a side note, my LG 55" LED TV has a 2d-3d conversion with passive 3D where it somehow figures out what the 2d image should look like in 3d and the results are pretty cool. $75 for 4 pair of glasses or a trip to the movie theater and forget to turn in the pair gets me a movie and 2 new pair for like $20. The RealD3D glasses are the same type as mine.

Thanks for the feedback.I'll have to look into this a bit deeper.I do actually have a pair of e-dimensional glasses (the ones that got me started on my 3D kick).The problem used to be that getting them to work with reasonable performance would require reverting back to a much older Nvidia graphics driver, graphics card, and Windows XP.A quick look at the E-Dimensional site shows Tri-def 3D display drivers will allow the glasses to work in Windows 7, although the drivers are 50 bucks and I don't see X-plane as one of the compatible titles for those drivers.Still, worth investigating. Really hope I can get this to work. Seems the "plausible world" approach of modelling everything in 3D would make X-Plane 10 ideal for 3D simming.Thanks again.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

I packed my 3dvision glasses back in the box after realizing the shuttering made my flight gear useless as all my leds were unrecognizeable. Also if i recall correct don't the lights float out at the wrong distances?