Sign in to follow this  
Darth_Vapor666

Accurate depiction of turbulence

Guys,I want to know the combination of settings that would result in realistic turbulence. I have seen posts suggesting FSUIPC wind smoothing settings be disabled and similar for FSX settings. But I cant seem to get much of it even in heavy cumulous clouds. I am after realism, and not just turbulence for the sake of it. In real life, you can expect an uncomfortable experience flying through thick clouds, and I am not getting that with ASE at the moment. Thanks,Sam Mustafa

Hi Sam,With ASE options, you can specify minimum and maximum cloud turbulence. If you are looking for a stronger turbulence experience in general, try upping the minimum so that you always get at least something in any cloud.Note that turbulence is based on a few different things, such as air stability calculations, random influence, cloud types, etc. The experience can be different in any given conditions at any time.Also, make sure you aren't limiting turbulence via FSUIPC options and/or any other tweaks.Does this help?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks Damian, yes it helps to an extent. I've never introduced specific weather conditions into my flights. I use real world weather whether it's injected by ASE, REX or the default weather engine. Hence my reluctance to up minimum cloud turbulence. I have all min max options at the limits so ASE has access to creating actual weather conditions without restrictions. Basically I prefer the weather engine to calculate whats closest to reality at a given place at a given time. Imposing limits defeats my purpose of using complex weather engines such as ASE. Guess what I am saying is that it would be nice to have an option that not only autonomously creates true to life weather at a place and time but also the simulated effects associated with that weather. For example, if i am flying through a blizzard with wind varying within a certain directional and speed range, then I would like to experience the most realistic effects for those types of conditions, nothing more nothing less. I may be asking for too much, but true weather IMHO is one of the most important variables in a flight simmers quest for maximum realism.Kind regards, Sam Mustafa

Hi Sam,This is a simulation, so there are certain things to consider, but we are doing our best and have spent many years improving the realism here, and continue to do so. Cloud turbulence is already generated with realism-based critera as we describe. If you feel the effects are not strong enough, that could be something subjective or something configured. There are literally dozens of settings/things that could affect this including your fsx.cfg, FSUIPC settings, etc.It sounds like you are suggesting we've spent no time or have no priority towards "realism" or depicting turbulence. That could be nothing further from the truth. There may be some kind of problem/issue affecting your experience that we may want to look at here but I can guarantee you that the in-cloud turbulence generation realism (as well as thousands of other areas) has seen much effort over the past 10 years, and continues to improve. Our whole entire goal has been to do whatever we can to provide as realistic an experience as possible, and we've worked at that goal tirelessly. We can't always do everything what we want, there are always limitations and considerations, priorities, and other things to deal with, but we sure try.Please contact our support department if you'd like some assistance verifying your configuration to make sure you are experiencing everything you should be as far as turbulence goes. And if you'd like to share some additional feedback we're always open ears.

Damian Clark

One thing I do get is turbulence :) I love going into FSRecorder when flying the 777 and seeing the entire wing drop and shake. In the cockpit it feels like you would definitely want to be strapped in as I can drop a few hundred feet in some heavy turbulence! In fact on my last two flights I have been penalized by FSFlightKeeper for sustained moderate turbulence for more than 30 minutes LOL!!!Sounds like a setting that could be preventing it on your box...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

It sounds like you are suggesting we've spent no time or have no priority towards "realism" or depicting turbulence.
Not at all Damian. I wouldn't be so excited about the upcoming release of Active Sky 2012 if this were the case. Apologies if I came across as complaining about lack of realism or anything to that affect. Rephrasing what i said above; a feature that overrides other sliders and settings to produce real world weather is what I was referring to. Perhaps its already the case and i am just not aware. But my understanding is that individual sliders take precedence over everything else. Is the opposite possible? So say a user has wind limit set to 15knots and the actual wind is 20knots, then the 'real world weather' option overrides the wind slider setting and depicts 20knot winds. It may not be a popular request, but just thought id put out there what ive often wondered. Thanks,Sam

Hi Sam,Thanks for the clarification. The minimum/maximum settings are applied after decoding and synthesis, and prior to getting "sent" to FSX. The real conditions won't override the limits. The limits apply to any kind of weather which is assumed "real" weather (live or historical) or manually-configured.I am not sure I understand a need to override the limits with real data, since the limits are to be imposed on such real data.Correct me if I am wrong but I think you are suggesting that by default (with no limits) the real conditions should be producing more in-cloud turbulence for a more realistic representation. My explanation here is summarized by the fact that we already believe that has been (tirelessly) implemented and fine-tuned over the years, but there could be something affecting what you are seeing (that myself and others are not), and that could be related to FSX and FSUIPC configuration options that need to be verified first, so I want to make sure we are looking at that before anything else. We're always looking to improve, so our past work doesn't mean things can't be improved further, tweaked to cater to our customers' current needs, etc..... We we're definitely taking all this input into consideration and appreciate your feedback.We've performed some testing and review on this a little this morning, and our cloud turbulence experience has been positive without problems noted, we still suspect there may be something limiting turbulence on your end, or something else could be a factor. Perhaps you could open a support ticket with some details of a "test" flight that you can reproduce with a given date/time set of wx conditions and flight plan and observations as to when you experienced "less than expected" turbulence? This way we could compare your parameters with what we are seeing and can more easily identify if this is something isolated or if there is something not happening the way we'd hope, which we might be able to improve.Thanks again...

Damian Clark

Thanks Damian. Appreciate your detailed reply.I did as suggested, and moved a couple of min sliders to 20%. It certainly made a difference. I also unchecked gusts and wind suppression in FSUIPC. I haven't had much time to try out but I hope to do so on the weekend. Another thing I want to look at more closely is if EZCA's random effects are causing a conflict with ASE. Kind regards, Sam