Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Need Some Help Please

Hi guysIs there anyone here can either create for me, or show me how, to create a batch file?I have a load of of xxxxxxx.txt files that need a line of test altering.Thanks

The creating isn't so difficult, as programs as simple as Windows Notepad are adequate to the task. The real challenge is what commands and parameters to include in the batch file.There might also be ways to accomplish those tasks in a more recent scripting engine that includes functions for the Windows Operating System.Have you inquired at http://groups.google...h.nt/topics?lnk ? That is a web based mirror of a Usenet group that discusses batch files under the Windows NT and subsequent operating systems (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista etc)If you're using a Usenet news reader you may prefer to access the same information in the alt.msdos.batch.nt group.I expect they would want you to conduct a search for earlier threads about the same goal before starting a new thread.You might also find some tutorials using a search engine like Google, Yahoo or Bing.

Try Windows Grep for that. Finding a string of text in multiple txt files with a batch is easy but replacing one throughout many text files would be difficult I think. Windows Grep is a little clunky but it'll get the job done. Free, but IIRC there's some limitation unless you pay, maybe the size of the txt files it'll process or something.If you must go the batch route I've found the Computer Hope Forum to be quite helpful. There are some guys that hang out there in the MSDOS forum that really know their sh... Well, they're pretty good I mean. They could probably show you how to do it.Jim

Thanks for the feeedback guys.Will go take a looksee