Sign in to follow this  
GT Flyer

Taxi Speed Problem

Hi All,Having a problem with taxi speed and feel that it's not with the 737-800 NGX but somehow with my set up. Would greatly appreciate your help. Here is an example of a flight. Fuel load of 25%, payload consisting 87/174 Passengers1678Kg cargo for the front and 2041kg cargo in the rear. Here in lies the problem. When starting taxi it will begin to move between 23% and 24% N1 and if brakes are not used speed wil gradually pickup to about 20 knots. However when brakes are applied the Ngx will not begin to move again until an increase to about 28% N1 and she'll just crawl along at a rate of 1 knot not picking up speed until more thrust is appled. I'm using Saitek rudder pedals.Has anybody else had this problem? Also this happens with PMDG 747-400 as well which makes me think that the problem lies in the setup.

Graeme.First thing I would check is that you have the "Reverser" boxes checked in FSX control axes, and then make sure to have the sensitivity settings on max in the calibration settings.Dennis

Dennis Elliott

Hi Dennis,Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by check "that you have the "Reverser" boxes checked in FSX control axes". If you mean the "REVERSE" then all that does is reverse the direction the throttle operates. Am I misunderstanding you here? The sensitivity settings are already on max. Also I didn't verify in the first post I do have FSX.

Graeme.I was referring to the toe brakes. In the FSX control axes / Saitek ruder pedals. There are two boxes next to left toe / right toe. Those boxes must be checked or the brakes will work in reverse.(off when you press them,on when you release them) It catches some people out if you are new to them.Dennis.

Dennis Elliott

Dennis,Thanks again for your quick reply, that is not the problem they're both ticked. This problem is only apparent after you apply the brake as you begin to taxi. You only notice it by the high N1 % to keep the aircraft at taxi speed. When landing you don't notice it as the plane appears to free wheel correctly, not as if the brakes were partly on. When taxiing with average to high loads engines are approx 40% N1.Does anyone from PMDG have any idea of whats causing this.Thank you

If you want to talk directly to the PMDG staff, why don't you open a support ticket?. Other users input can be of great value though.

Graeme.Sorry I could not help you with this.Just for a test,I just loaded up the trike,and set the sensitivity settings for the toe brakes to zero, and started to taxi. As soon as I touched the brakes I had to use a LOT of power to get it moving again. I then reset them to max (All the way to the right) and it once again moved along just fine. Are you sure your's are at max? How do the default planes perform when taxing?That's all I can think of right now.All the best.Dennis

Dennis Elliott

Dennis.Your a genius thanks alot that has solved it. It was in the calibration/ rudder pedals left and right that were not on max. You've no idea how long i'd put up with that for. Again many thanks for persevering.kind regards