Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

Correct flaps deploying during approach/landing.

Hi all,How should flaps be correctly and gradually deployed during the approach/landing phase?Thanks,Christos

General rule I follow is Flaps 1 on downwind. Turning Base move onto Flaps 5 possibly 10. At FAF I deploy gear go to Flaps 15 then begin to decelerate to vref+5 and final flaps.There are variations on this as everybody follows different SOP's. Some SOP's say to go gear down flaps 15 when glideslope alive but most ATC have you keep the speed up until FAF on most approaches in the US.There are some good B737 profiles on the internet just google and you will find. They are in PDF and I keep them handy at all times.

Sean Green

general guidelines a I use them:-expect flaps 5/180kts on localizer intercept, plan accordingly.-with GS alive, slow down to 160kts, flaps 15, gear up.-5nm from TDZ, bug Vref+corr, gear down, flaps to finalall flaps are normally to be selected with green bands on the speedtape, although I will use at least 160/15 even if 10 maneuvering speed is down lower - for drag the extra position gives me.

general guidelines a I use them:-expect flaps 5/180kts on localizer intercept, plan accordingly.-with GS alive, slow down to 160kts, flaps 15, gear up.-5nm from TDZ, bug Vref+corr, gear down, flaps to finalall flaps are normally to be selected with green bands on the speedtape, although I will use at least 160/15 even if 10 maneuvering speed is down lower - for drag the extra position gives me.
Flaps 15, gear up, huh? That annoying configuration horn doesn't bother you?

Matt Cee

Just press the gear horn cutoff button.
Most airlines don't go F15 until Gear Down. That's standard operating procedure from the Boeing Flight Crew Training Manual (FCTM).OP, follow the FCTM guidelines, and it's hard to go wrong.

Matt Cee