Sign in to follow this  
jkieffer1957

Regarding the Snapshot Process

I have ASE and recently purchased REX 2.0 simply because it was half price. Now reading up on REX, I can use it without starting the Weather component. Rex will load specific themes based on my input and place them in FSX scenery. My question is, how do I get the upgraded textures from REX to ASE. I know we've talked about Snapshots. Do I first start FSX and while I'm flying press the ALt + Prnt Screen. How does one save snapshots while still in ASE? I'm still not grasping the whole snapshot and theme thing between REX and ASE? Anyone that could provide help, I sure would appreciate it.Jim KiefferGreenville NC

Hi Jim,Snapshots are saved states. When your graphics addon(s) install a theme, and your graphics are thus installed into FSX in a usable state. Saving snapshots of the various states (with different graphics textures for example) as per each "theme" install builds you a library of snapshots that can be recalled easily, manually installing them on demand or automatically installing them i.e. after route entry, for wx-influenced route-average selections.FSX should always be closed when installing themes from your graphics add-ons and when creating the snapshots.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Jim,Snapshots are saved states. When your graphics addon(s) install a theme, and your graphics are thus installed into FSX in a usable state. Saving snapshots of the various states (with different graphics textures for example) as per each "theme" install builds you a library of snapshots that can be recalled easily, manually installing them on demand or automatically installing them i.e. after route entry, for wx-influenced route-average selections.FSX should always be closed when installing themes from your graphics add-ons and when creating the snapshots.
What I'm failing to understand is how do I do the snapshot while in ASE. I found a few more post regarding running REX and changing the scenery within FSX. i.e. run a route setup in REX, save and when you start FSX the graphics will be there. It's in ASE that I am confused. Do I run Rex, save the data, close REX, start ASE then what? How do I do the snapshot in ASE?Jim KiefferGreenville NC

Hi Jim,The Graphics screen is where you manage your snapshots. You install your graphics (REX/FEX/XG/etc), then you create a new snapshot in ASE (using the buttons in the Graphics screen). When creating a new snapshot it will ask for the wx-influenced category. Leave it universal, or read up on the documentation about the different categories and choose accordingly. It will also ask for a name... ..Once you've done that you can repeat the process, install the graphics theme, create a new snapshot. Build up a small library at first (i.e. around 5 in the universal category) and give it a try. Then expand, with different categoriesYou can install the Snapshot graphics into FSX from the Graphics screen, or they will automatically be installed when you enter your route (optional), a Snapshot chosen based on the type of wx conditions in your active session.FSX stays closed during all of this, until you've installed the Snapshot you want to fly with. Then load up FSX.As an alternative method of using ASE with graphics add-ons, you can install graphics textures directly from your graphics add-ons, just leaving the graphics in place as installed by the add-on and all weather controlled by ASE. The Snapshot system's main benefit is wx-influenced categorization and auto-install.Please refer to the documentation for more...

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks, I was palying with the new REX program and i think I'll try stting the Themes using REX, keep it's engine off then open ASE for the weather engine, put a flight plan and give it a try. I'll worry about creating snapshots later as it seems to be a very time consuming process in both programs. Right now I just want to have a chance to experience something better than the default graphics provided by FSX.Thanks for your help with regards to this. I have a much better understanding of the overall process.Jim KiefferGreenville NC

Please refer to the documentation for more...
in the ase main user manual doesn't say much more I learned here in this post... maybe have I to download more manuals from the net? or there is nothing else to know?maybe some suggestion about the snapshots to create in various wx-categories... but it's not a request :-) , only I want to learn as much as possible.thanks