Sign in to follow this  
havocmwf

Losing power on the climb

Hi all,I can't find this topic anywhere so though I would start a new thread.I am experiencing a loss of power on the climb. The altitude has varied but it is usually around the 5 to 6 thousand feet mark when the power just starts dropping off to zero. The EGT drops to zero as does the power and fuel flow levels. The engines are still running but I can do nothing to restore the situation other than decend (I am forced to do so as the aircraft is by now dropping in altitude anyway due to the loss of power) to around 4 and a half thousand feet where everything comes back to normal again by itself!! Try to bust the 5-6k mark again and the same happens.I have tried all combinations or mixture, power and RPM settings during the climb to see if it helps. Only recently it worked fine all the way up to 12k but the next flight was back to the 5-6k ceiling limit.This has never happened before and is a relatively new problem.Has anyone else encountered this problem?CheersMike

Guest bstolle

With the EGT and the fuel flow at zero, the engines are definitely not running, the prop is windmilling.Have you leaned the engines during the climb? If yes, you might have encountered the 'classic' FSX carb icing bug e.g. being a fuel injected engine there shouldn't be icing.Try using carb heat in that case and see if you are getting the engines back.

Hi all,I can't find this topic anywhere so though I would start a new thread.I am experiencing a loss of power on the climb. The altitude has varied but it is usually around the 5 to 6 thousand feet mark when the power just starts dropping off to zero. The EGT drops to zero as does the power and fuel flow levels. The engines are still running but I can do nothing to restore the situation other than decend (I am forced to do so as the aircraft is by now dropping in altitude anyway due to the loss of power) to around 4 and a half thousand feet where everything comes back to normal again by itself!! Try to bust the 5-6k mark again and the same happens.I have tried all combinations or mixture, power and RPM settings during the climb to see if it helps. Only recently it worked fine all the way up to 12k but the next flight was back to the 5-6k ceiling limit.This has never happened before and is a relatively new problem.Has anyone else encountered this problem?CheersMike
A suggestion is to continually LEAN the mixture to just short of engine starvation as you climb. Let us know your settings just prior to the engines conking out.I have quite a few hours in this Carenado model and I have not lost an engine yet. This one seems to require more attention to the leaning process than any other FSX model that I have.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thank you, thank you, thank you.Since I bought the Carenado C337H Skymaster I have only been flying in the Caribbean area so not much flying above 5,000'. I have since returned to my other favourite flying area - Alaska, especially the Tongrass area and not being able to get above 5,000' is suicidal! After mucking about with cowling flaps open or closed, thinking I am getting some sort of fuel starvation and trying all manners of mixture control, and yes you are correct in that you do have to manage the mixture all the way up, decreasing it as you climb, to find out that the problem is - CARB HEAT!!!!You have a switch for the Pitot Heat (which I have on) but there is nothing for the Carb Heat and to not know that this has an effect as it is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation. How are you to know that this is modelled in the config?I think Carenado need to either tell you or give you a working switch to manage this properly.So thank you both and especially Bert for your assistance.Now flying along at 13,000', 140Knts indicated, Manifold Pressure 17 HG, Fuel Flow 70 Lbs/Hr with no problems.On the climb I hit the "H"key around 3,000'but the symptom started to appear at 5,300', so I hit the "H"key again and the needles all jumped up again and I resumed my climb, decreasing the mixture as I went. Magic.It is difficult to tell if you have the Carb Heat on or off so I guess you just punch the key to find out if it's on or off I guess.Many thanks,MikePSTried out the "Turbo" tweak and now have a new set of "Turbo" enabled C337's. They fly like a rocket and their rate of climb is staggering.Raymar if you have any repaints of the "Red, Blue, Grey" textures with the Turbo emblem on the side of the fusalage, like your photos to post that would be great.I am trying out repaints myself but haven't got the hang of it just yet :-)

Ah just saw Bstolle's comments and there is a "bug" problem with FSX icing on mystery carbs.Explains why there is no switches for carb heat on a fuel injected system.Ah well. All is well that ends well.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. MikePSTried out the "Turbo" tweak and now have a new set of "Turbo" enabled C337's. They fly like a rocket and their rate of climb is staggering.Raymar if you have any repaints of the "Red, Blue, Grey" textures with the Turbo emblem on the side of the fusalage, like your photos to post that would be great.I am trying out repaints myself but haven't got the hang of it just yet :-)
In a couple of days I will upload my turbo paints and post the download link here. I'm just busy right now, but, I will do it.Ray

In a couple of days I will upload my turbo paints and post the download link here. I'm just busy right now, but, I will do it.Ray
I guess I only did the Red and Grey textures. Here is a link for those two only. Just replace the -4.bmp file in the correct folder. I will do the others next week.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KVPI1KZRRed and Grey Turbo logo only.Ray

Excellent.Good job and many thanks.Mike
I did a little work on the Turbo paints today.  Take a look at this one.  It is all over, pick which logo location you like and let me know.  I will wrap it up and post it.Ray

Hi Raymar,They all look great.I think the Fuselage one is possibly the most appropriate as the cowl version reminds me of the kids down the road who stuck the go fast badge to the back of their car, although I still like it lol.Maybe the fuselage and wing tip would make a great combination, as in your last photo, what do you think?Otherwise all looking very good.I will have to learn how to do this sometime! Yet more time sitting at the computer, the wife will kill me for sure lol.Many thanks.Mike

Guest BeaverDriver

That's fabulous Raymar! I agree with Mike on the placement. Well done.

Hi Raymar,They all look great.I think the Fuselage one is possibly the most appropriate as the cowl version reminds me of the kids down the road who stuck the go fast badge to the back of their car, although I still like it lol.Maybe the fuselage and wing tip would make a great combination, as in your last photo, what do you think?Otherwise all looking very good.I will have to learn how to do this sometime!  Yet more time sitting at the computer, the wife will kill me for sure lol.Many thanks.Mike
That's fabulous Raymar! I agree with Mike on the placement. Well done.
Added full folder for BLUE TURBO plus a full folder for a nice down under texture. Donwload here. Enjoy.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5B72ZOGMRay

i am rather not really familiar with the skymaster.could someone explain to me what the turbo tweak is?