Sign in to follow this  
cj-ibbotson

Using separate throttles with the 737NGX?

The following is an edit of Martin Boehme's thread back in August as I'm experiencing the exact same issue using the NGX SP1....I'm using a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke with additional throttle quadrant with the 737NGX, and I'm having a bit of trouble setting the 737NGX up to work correctly with separate throttles (i.e. "throttle 1" and "throttle 2"). It works manually, but not under A/T but the "cyan arc" feature does not work correctly, and sometimes moving the throttle causes the autothrottle to disconnect even though I have "A/T manual override" set to "NEVER" (or indeed any option). This is in MCP Speed Mode, I appreciate depending on the override setting if in ARM mode manual thrust can be set. The throttles are callibrated correctly with no noise or spiking.Have others managed to get this to work correctly?To make sure there's nothing else wrong with my setup that is contributing to this, I've done a few tests.If I use a single hardware axis to control the global "throttle" setting, then everything works as expected A/T holds the MCP Speed and adjusting the Saitek throttle levers indicates a blue arc to show the physical position of the hardware lever my hand is on. This is true both when I assign the throttle axis in FSX alone or when I assign it via FSUIPC.If I use two hardware axes to control the "throttle 1" and "throttle 2" settings, I observe the following behaviour. When the autothrottle is active, moving the hardware throttles changes not the cyan arc (as would be the case with a single "global" throttle) but the white arc, leading to a corresponding change in engine RPM (note "A/T manual override" is set to "NEVER"). If I move the hardware throttles too far, the autothrottle will even disconnect (happens a lot). Again, the behaviour is the same no matter whether I assign the axes directly via FSX or via FSUIPC.Does anyone have any insights into this?Some have posted that one should avoid using FSUIPC to calibrate the throttles to avoid the problem, but I still have the problem even if I don't use FSUIPC but assign the throttles directly through FSX's Settings / Controls dialog.Martin later posted that complete removal of FSUIPC helped but that simply is NOT an option, even if axis aren't being configured by FSUIPC the NGX should operate correctly but it doesn't appear to be the case. I also just purchased a full license in gratitude to Pete Dowsons amazing work in curing/minimising the risks of users getting a CTD with the horrid G3D.DLL error.Any help guys?

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I have the exact same setup and have no issue at all. Are you sure NEVER is NEVER ? Your AT disconnects because it detects 2000 lbs (or more) of thrust difference.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Same set up here with the individual power levers set up through plain-jane FSX axis assignments. No fancy FSUIPC or anything going on my end and I have no probs.

Thanks guys for your response.Yes the CDU is set to NEVER on the AT Override option, or even if set to Hold/ARM its still changing power when I move the throttles so that the blue arc shows the current position of the hardware, something which PMDG have added and support so the thrust shouldnt change. I'm getting MCP SPD displayed in the PFD. It does it if 2 axis are configured in FSUIPC for throttle 1 and throttle 2, it also does it if I remove these axis and assign them within FSX axis control. I have tried a few options in FSUIPC...i.e. assigning the axis to use FSUIPC Calibration or as a direct FSX control but both change thrust and disconnect the AT when it shouldnt, have also tried it using these methods and the FSX controllers enabled or disabled. I was sick of getting PMDG 737 NGX dll CTD's with my Saitek yoke and many said to remove all assignments from FSX controls and use FSUIPC which cured that conflict. Did a quick test this am, removed axis from FSUIPC and added them to FSX as 2 axis and it worked briefly, changed back to FSUIPC which didnt work, changed back to FSX again and it still didnt work even though it did briefly 2 mins before :(I'm at a loss, can't do any more testing till after the weekend though a couple of hrs the other evening failed to sort it out

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

try setting it to "ALWAYS" , who know maybe that would do the trick :)this is the only one you haven't tried yet.

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

try setting it to "ALWAYS" , who know maybe that would do the trick :)this is the only one you haven't tried yet.
Was home over lunch and tried every option in the CDU using throttle axis set up either in FSX or FSUIPC and neither worked. Even changing to a single throttle axis rather than 2 axis for each engine didnt work. Worked fine when I removed my Modules folder out of FSX's root directory so like the edited original post, Martin experienced the same so there's a conflict there. I'll try email Pete Dowson over the weekend

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson