Sign in to follow this  
MerlinCH65

FMC & FSX ATC

Hello!I have investigated quite a lot regarding the combination of 738 FMC and FSX ATC (the built-in, not r/l like VATSIM/IVAO). I know that many of you guys don't like the built - in FSX ATC - but for me this is the only alternative as I am not yet ready to go IVAO.This is what I *think* to know:a) FSX ATC is unable to handle SID/STARcool.png A FSX Flightplan cannot be "loaded" into 738 FMCc) A flightplan typed into 738 FMC will not be "understood" by FS ATCd) If I want to have some kind of *real" flightplan that can be used by 738 FMC & FSX ATC I have to use a third party add-onMy questions are:1) Are my findings a) - d) correct?2) If yes: Is there a freeware Flightplanner that I could use to create a flightplan which then can be exported as *.pln (so that I have it for FSX ATC and as *.rte (so that I can use it in 738 FMC)Bottom line - if you want:I'd love to have some ATC chatter and I don't mind getting the runway direction Gate-->Runway from FSX ATC AND I want to have a flightplan in 738 FMC so that I can use LNAV/VNAV etc. for flying. I understand that I have to live without SID/STAR because if FSX ATC limitation.Guys, I'm very interested in your opinion. If it is a payware addon - no problem. If it's good I gladly pay the price.Thanks a lot for your input!MerlinCH65 - Michel Bühler

I don't know about any of the freeware planners, but I use FSCommander which can export the same flight plan to PMDG and FSX. You might consider radarcontact or voxatc as alternatives to the default atc, however. As I understand it both can handle sids/stars/restrictions, etc...

Hi,Look for "flight plan converter 213" in the library. With this, you can create flight plans in FSX and then convert them into PMDG ready flight plans which you can load as company routes. The instructions ate clear enough. That way, when ATC clears you to follow your own navigation, your route will be in the FMS which you can follow using LNAV (you may need to delete the first waypoint before t/off as this can be for instance a VOR at the starting airport). VNAV however Is another matter as ATC won't let you follow this, and you may want to break off IFR if you want to fly a SID or STAR.Even though I fly online (IVAO and a VA), and that I use LNAV, VNAV, SID's & STAR's, I sometimes quite like flying a combo with ATC and vectors to the ILS.Good luck!Fabs

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

I know I'm biased because I do the whole VATSIM thing, but I'll just put this one down right here:Real and FSX ATC do not belong in the same paragraph/page/continent/world.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi KyleI agree with you - no doubt! But due to r/l constraints I can only fly late at night and there won't be much ATC coverage on IVAO - I just cannot "guarantee" fix times...Hi FabsI will have a look at it! Thx!Hi MrKenThx as well - I would rather not use any additional Add-On at this time as I am on Win7 32 Bit with only 4GB RAM - I don't want to push it further - else I will fly on a power-point-presentation (3 FPS) LOL.gifCheersMichel Bühler

I'm not sure if RC does this, but you can use voxatc as a trial/demo before purchasing. That'd give you a chance to see what sort of performance hit (if any) it would generate before spending any money.EDIT: Also, FSCommander doesn't have to run while you're simming unless you want to use it for the moving map or to get airport info. You could use it to generate your flight plans & then close it before running FSX.

No planing tool as good as it would be would help you change the lame way that the Built in ATC would guide you to the target.it would just ignore all those fancy shmancy extras you would add to the "*.pln" file.what you really need is a good ATC substitute, VoxATC IMO is the winner out of the three that I am aware of.Worths every penny, and you get to talk to the ATC rather then pressing buttons, so it is a good starting point for VATSIM / IVAO Transition.I advise you reading more about it here.(started as a debate between RC vs. PFE and ended up as VoxATC winning them both)PFE or RC4?http://forum.avsim.n...628-pfe-or-rc4/

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

a) FSX ATC is unable to handle SID/STARSure it can.. to a point anyway..cool.png A FSX Flightplan cannot be "loaded" into 738 FMCNo, but a flight plan loaded into the FMC can be loaded into FSX ATC.c) A flightplan typed into 738 FMC will not be "understood" by FS ATCYes it will, if you load it in a language it can understand.. "waypoints with coordinates"d) If I want to have some kind of *real" flightplan that can be used by 738 FMC & FSX ATC I have to use a third party add-onNo. The 3rd party programs will work, but so can the FSX ATC.My questions are:1) Are my findings a) - d) correct?Not really.. But I thought I already explained a lot of this in this post..http://forum.avsim.net/topic/355463-some-general-questions-a-question-regarding-the-tutorial/page__p__2180369#entry21803692) If yes: Is there a freeware Flightplanner that I could use to create a flightplan which then can be exported as *.pln (so that I have it for FSX ATC and as *.rte (so that I can use it in 738 FMC)Like I say, if you plan the route at SimRoutes, you can export the PLN file into FSX, and theyalso give you an option to export a RTE file for PMDG.I'd love to have some ATC chatter and I don't mind getting the runway direction Gate-->Runway from FSX ATC AND I want to have a flightplan in 738 FMC so that I can use LNAV/VNAV etc. for flying. I understand that I have to live without SID/STAR because if FSX ATC limitation.I use the stock FSX ATC and can fly LNAV/VNAV the whole flight until TOD. But usingthis method, you have to follow ATC as to when TOD is, and you have to follow theirvectors for the approach. Being as the FMC has it's own idea when TOD should be,you will have to ignore the FMC, and just wait for ATC to tell you. If the ATC TODis past the point of the FMC TOD, the plane will throttle down when you pass FMCTOD. So you need to switch from VNAV to MCP speed right before the FMC TOD toavoid that. If the FSX ATC says to descend before the FMC TOD, just start descendingthen. About 2000-2200 fpm will get you on the approach just right in most cases.Guys, I'm very interested in your opinion. If it is a payware addon - no problem. If it's good I gladly pay the price.Payware can be used, but so can the FSX ATC if you are cheap like I am.. :/It actually works fairly well I think.You can generate the route here.. They allow exports of both the flt and rte..But myself, I punch in my own route manually. I don't export the rte file.I do it myself, as it's good practice.. I get faster and faster at it as I go.. :)Like I said in the earlier post, you must text edit the cruise altitude in theSimRoute generated flt file. Do not use FSX flight planner to do this.Text editor only!http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/ParseRoute.aspxHope this post is readable with the quotes..

To each their own. All ATC have their good points and all have their bad (yes, including VATSIM).Default ATC can do some things that no other can come close to, it has the best speech engine that exists and one that you can modify, for free (that alone I would know would be the biggest complaint people would have if it were a payware and didn't have such awesome functionalityt).Default ATC can have you side step, can any other? I have them all, the closest is VOX in that regard.Default ATC can and will fly your exact flight plan providing you know what it expects from you and plan your route accordingly.Default ATC can park you, not send you "To the ramp", it can allow for 500' increments, etc.I can go on and on about default and it has tons that no other has.That said, I use RC4 mainly and pushed VATSIM now for over 10 years (still do). I would use my VOX or VATSIM for that matter, but not all of us have an area to talk during our sim time. I sim when others are asleep normally, so both are out for me for the time being. My point is like I said, they all their ups and downs. Flight planning I prefer to do myself, every flight. Skyvector.com or my fav, Runwayfinder.com. To me that's half of my simming, the planning, weather prep, etc. That to me is what VATSIM is to the online community. The huge limitation there though is USA only, and from what I've read that still is looking grim.I have a few route programs, again each with their ups and downs. FSBuild and Vroute. I use Vroute the most but probably because I submit routes more often than look for them. It's limitation is sometimes (many times) you can't find a route and you're SOL. FSBuild I honestly rarely use. FScommander is my next addon of choice. It looks fantastic and love the extras it has. For a flight planner I would recommend it but don't have it. In comparing to the others though, it seems to have them all.PFPX - Professional Flight Planner X, looks awesome also (from the makers of Topcat).Hope this info helps some.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Google for virtual dispatch... Freeware, you can build your routes with SIDs and STARs, your can export then in many formats... Ina fact, a cool simple app. Give it a try...

Guest lulu47

Totaly agree with NM5K and Turbine777...FSX default ATC allow you to use VNAV and LNAV mode till the TOD, then either you stay in VNAV and use ALT INT button on the MCP and/or SPEED INT button to follow ATC instructions, you disconnect LNAV too and use heading select, either you disconnect VNAV and use V/S or LVL CHG, disconnect LNAV too and use heading select till the IAF...For this, firstly enter your FPL in the FMC with the SID in accordance with the rwy in use (use real weather update each 15 minutes), save it as Company Route and then create exactly the same route and CRZ altitude in the FSX flight planner. FSX default ATC will recognize the SID if you enter exactly all the waypoints of the SID, to do this just zoom (big close up) on the FSX flight planner map to see all Intersection FIX and VOR, of course if the SID change you have to do the same job again...About ATC chatter I suggest http://www.cielosim.com/ which allow you to listen while taxiing and flying real live ATC in real time http://www.liveatc.net/ from a lot of the greatest airport such EHAM (Amsterdam Schiphol), LSZH (Zurich), ESSA (Stockholm Arlanda), LFMN (Nice), EINN (shannon), KLAX, KSFO, KJFK and many others, so a real cockpit environment, easy to use and to install, no impact on frame rate, great...Have nice flights guysNile Daniel

...For this, firstly enter your FPL in the FMC with the SID in accordance with the rwy in use (use real weather update each 15 minutes), save it as Company Route and then create exactly the same route and CRZ altitude in the FSX flight planner. FSX default ATC will recognize the SID if you enter exactly all the waypoints of the SID, to do this just zoom (big close up) on the FSX flight planner map to see all Intersection FIX and VOR, of course if the SID change you have to do the same job again......
It wouldnt be like it is in real life or on an online network tho, where the ATC is assigning a SID / STAR dynamically during clearance / before top of descent. But its true that its possible to make a route which flies the same waypoints that are in a SID / STAR

To each their own. All ATC have their good points and all have their bad (yes, including VATSIM).
Very true. And this comes from a controller on that network...

Kyle Rodgers

I Agree with Turbine777. It all depends on what you think is important.Having said that, i do recognize most of your questions and remarks and my own path has led me at this moment toFSC9 to generate flightplans which can be fed into fsx and pmdg (or ivao) and voxatc (or ivao) for traffic control.the advantage of fsc9 is that it can save flightplans in different formats so it can load into different parts (fsx,ivao,pmdg,ifly etc).Online ATC is fun since it is unpredicatble (not all controllers behave exactly as you would expect them given the strict rules and not all controllers speak perfect english, this make it however fun since you have to be on the edge yourself)Voxatc is fun since it sticks fairly to the rules and you answer voxatc by speech and it has a pretty intellligent speech recognisition engine which is able to understand phrases even if not perfectly matching the required syntax but of course there is a limit here)as mentioned voxatc has a trial period. give it a try but you will need some time to study the manual to get you going.good luck with your queeste