Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

Best FSX tweak to get better FPS on the NGX

I do apologise if this has been done to death already but I noticed a real lack of FPS the other day whilst there was a lot of traffic on VATSIM and I just wondered what people have found to be the main one, or main few tweaks that seem to make the biggest difference to FPS. I've tried using that ******* fella's cfg file but all it does is cause FS to hang and not start properly.

You will find that it doese'nt matter whether your flying in the sim or Vatsim/IVAO, if there is a lot of traffic in your vicinity you will get a FPS hit. Traffic is one of the biggest fps stunners there is.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Lefteris taught ******* Altuve all he knows and Lefteris is the master for FSX IMO. His products are 'top draw' and he made available a fix that transformed my other computer and made FSX useable instead of a slide show, as it was before.Here is his file; http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/files/file/69-fsl-texturefix-v11zip/ You will benefit by using it.

Dave Taylor gb.png

What does this program do?FSL_TextureFix_v1.1.zip
======================================================================Flight Sim Labs, Ltd. FSX Texture Fix Utility v1.1.0.0 Flight Simulator X ONLY09APR10 READ THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT 1200Z====================================================================== **EULA IS LOCATED AT END OF THIS MESSAGE**PLEASE NOTE:============1) REVIEW THE SECURITY NOTICE IN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT. This will prevent you from unwanted legal involvement related to this utility and Flight Sim Labs Ltd.'s aggressive defense of our digital property rights.WHAT DOES THIS UTILITY DO?==========================Several customers and FSX users have found that when using 'demanding' add-onsin their simulator, they would experience 'disappearing' aircraft and scenerytextures which, over time would render their simulator useless. This wouldhappen at various times, depending on different hardware, but it would be anirreversible process, requiring users to restart FSX, rendering their simulationexperience very frustrating.A very dedicated FSX user, ******* Altuve, found some fsx.cfg undocumented settingsthat fix this problem with disappearing textures for the majority of the userswho have tried them.This "Texture Fix" utility automates these changes in the fsx.cfg configurationfile which FSX users had to perform manually. Namely, it adds two new entries:[Graphics]HIGHMEMFIX=1STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647which have been found to resolve the disappearing texture problem.It also allows the rebuilding of the FSX Shader cache folders which enables thefix to 'take' inside FSX.Together with these two entries, the FSL Texture Fix utility allows for someoptional edits in the fsx.cfg file, which users have found helpful in increasingtheir sim performance. These edits are NOT enabled by default, as the entriescan vary from hardware to hardware. Helpful defaults have been set, however, in casethe user wants to tweak their settings.NOTE: A Backup fsx.cfg file is made before the utility writes these entries, butalways remember to COPY your original fsx.cfg file elsewhere, if you really wantto ensure that you won't screw something up.
So, it does nothing more than what is already recommended by PMDG with the HIGHMEMFIX. The only difference here is it does it automatically, you don't have to touch the fsx.cfg manually by yourself.RegardsRalf

I don't know. This FSX is very strange. I departed from England to Germany. I had lot's of traffic, but still got 20-35 fps during taxi and takeoff. But after 5000-10000ft I got really big fps hit for no reason. I had just 2-3 planes in my range. But there was pretty big layer of clouds above the sea. If I move camera to pedestal, or overhead, I get normal FPS.Many people tell that NVIDIA is good for rendering clouds versus ATI, but I must disagree. I have GTX570 and sometimes get 5-10fps for whatever reason...maybe clouds, maybe something else...After leveling off and few minutes later, fps came back.

I don't know. This FSX is very strange. I departed from England to Germany. I had lot's of traffic, but still got 20-35 fps during taxi and takeoff. But after 5000-10000ft I got really big fps hit for no reason. I had just 2-3 planes in my range. But there was pretty big layer of clouds above the sea.If I move camera to pedestal, or overhead, I get normal FPS.Many people tell that NVIDIA is good for rendering clouds versus ATI, but I must disagree. I have GTX570 and sometimes get 5-10fps for whatever reason...maybe clouds, maybe something else...After leveling off and few minutes later, fps came back.
Interesting you say that but I too noticed this. It never used to happen but noticed it after SP1. It only occurs between 5000 and 18000 feet then leaves me alone for the whole flight including decent, landing and taxi to the gate regardless of how much cloud is on the screen. The other thing I noticed with this is it does not happen if I just run from my local airport on an sid up to 25000 and then back on a star to the active. It only seems to happen when I run a route. The other thing about it is that it will start and go on for a minute maybe then stop for a few then start again. This can happen a few times until I get to perhaps 18000 or there abouts.I thought I was going mad or imagining this for a while but it definately happens. And it most certainly never used to and it only happens with my NGX.I have not run a flight with SP1b yet as time is a little short with life getting in the way but would be curious to see how it goes.I too assumed it was my card having issues with my clouds as it's not exactly a new one so I reduced the quality of them but it makes no difference at all. I would love to know what is going on when this happens.Anyhow when I read that I felt compelled to post that I too had that very issue and thought I was the only one but clearly not.Regards

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Was you flying over london at all anytime of that flight ..London is a massive frame killer i don't know why but ever time i fliy into london my frames drop with or without addons in

Lefteris taught ******* Altuve all he knows and Lefteris is the master for FSX IMO. His products are 'top draw' and he made available a fix that transformed my other computer and made FSX useable instead of a slide show, as it was before.Here is his file; http://forums.flight...turefix-v11zip/ You will benefit by using it.
******* (and us here) would disagree with that statement. FSL did nothing but take the cfg parameters ******* discovered and put them into that app. (the app also still contains several bogus entries that we found out later from MS either don't do anything or can actually hurt performance. (Stale Buffer Threshold is one of these).Use *******'s site, not that app:http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html
STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647I don't have this entry in my cfg file ...should I add it?
No, we were told my Microsoft after ******* discovered this stuff that this particular one is bogus and could actually hurt performance.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

In my experience of VATSIM the problem is ALWAYS that FSINN chooses to depict other aircraft using EITHER a "buggy" AI model, OR a heavy-weight add-on like the PMDG series for a common type like the 737. The AMOUNT of traffic in VATSIM is never big enough to make a difference on its own. It is essential to make sure that FSINN chooses efficient (ie, very simple) AI models which contain no bugs.I do not know what (if any) is the solution for people who don't use FSINN but for FSINN users see here:http://forums.vatsim...pic.php?t=35447If you're not flying online then the problem could well be the AMOUNT of traffic which especially / even with MyTraffic or other AI traffic add-ons can easily overwhelm even the fastest PC near major hubs like EGLL and EGKK. But even here, check that there isn't a nasty "buggy" AI model slowing things down more than need be.Tim

Was you flying over london at all anytime of that flight ..London is a massive frame killer i don't know why but ever time i fliy into london my frames drop with or without addons in
That happened when I was above the sea. London was far away. But anyway when I fly above then heathrow Extreme from UK2000, I never get big drop of FPS. It something like 20-30 in VC with view to the airport with traffic from UT2.
In my experience of VATSIM the problem is ALWAYS that FSINN chooses to depict other aircraft using EITHER a "buggy" AI model, OR a heavy-weight add-on like the PMDG series for a common type like the 737. The AMOUNT of traffic in VATSIM is never big enough to make a difference on its own. It is essential to make sure that FSINN chooses efficient (ie, very simple) AI models which contain no bugs.I do not know what (if any) is the solution for people who don't use FSINN but for FSINN users see here:http://forums.vatsim...pic.php?t=35447If you're not flying online then the problem could well be the AMOUNT of traffic which especially / even with MyTraffic or other AI traffic add-ons can easily overwhelm even the fastest PC near major hubs like EGLL and EGKK. But even here, check that there isn't a nasty "buggy" AI model slowing things down more than need be.Tim
I sorted it out with my UT2 with ICAO tool from VACC GERMANY. The guy Peter Hornfeck made a tool to get proper traffic showing in fsinn. Here is the link http://board.vacc-sag.org/45/40957/But the thing is that I didn't get big FPS drop on fly-in when there was 20-40 planes. But when I got FPS drop, there was just 2 planes nearby. It definitely a bug.