Sign in to follow this  
pride545

Where did the cockpit textures go?

There was an individual redoing the cockpit textures and all of a sudden his topic disappeared. Where did it/he go? Why was it deleted? I and other people are interested in this!!!!!!!!

Ya, I'd like to know too. So many people where looking forward to it (free or payways w/e) and it was removed and no one said why? Come on!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

The person doing the project mentioned that it was being talked about.The person had good intentions, but I also understand why it was removed and is/was being talked about. It's a clear violation of the EULA in several ways. Now don't get me wrong, I was looking forward to them also, but fair is fair and it's spelled out in black and white what is and what is not allowed. Taking textures that make up someones addon aircraft and doing just sharing the originals is a huge no no. To modify what already exists is fine, but not in sharing them. Liveries even have limits to what people should include and I see people violate this all the time. I've yet to see PMDG have any of them removed but I guess there's a fine line that is invisible to some people.My hat goes off to him though. Anyone that puts in time and effort that wants to share their work freely is always more than ok in my book, but I think this case needs a lot of understanding too.One other thing you might want to consider here. The 74X is pretty old now and hard hitting as it is on peoples system. I don't think I've ever read more topics about how people had more issues in any one aircraft then the Queen, framerate wise. Now, let's say these were to come to light. Who's going to then support all the posts from people complaining about the higher impact = less fps? I'm no yes man, but come on, this just violates too many fronts and can cause too many headaches I think despite the EULA.On a similar note, and a joke, PMDG said they're going to do a new 744 eventually, so maybe they didn't want to be up-staged ;)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

I'm sure they'll find an agreement just as they did with McPhat, who is in flagrant violation of the EULA..

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Yeah, big time. I'm sure they get a cut of his profits though. Free and making someone elses textures available for free? There's no way to cut anyone in. Plus, the textures that make up a common livery aren't a violation.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Glad Level d / Ifly understood and allowed their vc textures to get tweaked. For free. Not like they're going to revisit the Queen this century, might even boost sales once people see a facelift and Pmdg didn't even have to lift a finger.

I think new 744X VC textures would acutally probably increase performance if anything, more optimized textures + people would maybe consider buying the plane since the current VC textures are very old. I didnt know that it was illgeal as per EULA but if so then yes PMDG has everyright too have it removed, however; it would have been nice for them to say something about it. This is a small community unlike COD of BF3 I think they should have said something about.I wonder why the thread was on here for months and not removed? Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I find removing them somewhat childish on PMDG's part, but also to contradict myself slightly, understandable. I hope they can come to some sort of arrangement so that we may all benefit from the great work that's been put into these textures already.The thing that annoys me here is not so much that the posts have been removed, but that they were done so without any explanation to the many, many users that were following the project. Sure it's up to PMDG what they allow on the forums, but to just remove the posts and leave people in the dark is just pathetic imo.

I couldn't agree more. Some mods/admin get burnt out and posts and topics become more just a daily grind then anything else. It's read one, then off to the other. Trying to sift through what's important to what's on their mind, and what's not. They forget that there are actual people that read them, human beings. Some also look at it as "Who are you to question what I do". It tops the pathetic list. Sure, it's every mods/admin/,,, developers right I guess, but no matter how you cut it, it's not the proper way to do it.

Dan Prunier

I'd be pretty annoyed with PMDG if they gave the guy doing the texture upgrade a hard time and prevented the release. FS has always been about community and as someone else mentioned above: LevelD and iFly have no such qualms about some aftermarket tweaking by their users. Quite the opposite actually: they made the posts containing the files stickies so that everyone finds them who visits their forums. The same should apply here IMHO.

I agree. I agree with everyone on this and also believe in "for the community". I have things on my sites that I could easily charge for, but don't. Services that I could easily apply mothly rates to, but I don't. I've helped out many developers anonymously and always have refused payment. I pay all the bills on my forum/sites with not as much as a donate button. I think one really needs to look at some things though from the others eyes, and this one is one that has several possibilities. If I had a new product in the works, and someone was upgrading my old one (free or not is irrelevant), then I too wouldn't want it done. It would kill sales of my upcoming release. Not that their new one wouldn't have much more than just better textures, but it still would be a deciding factor to some. Now say you have a product that is dead, no intention on revisiting it, then I'm thinking it would be more than fine. I see developers all over the place get the wrong idea and should only see it as a compliment but they don't. I did a review on Orbx. It had Flash work that I would have charged over $2k for if it were a customer. I included a full map of Australia with all the charts (pdf's) for each. The Ozzie map alone could be marketed, but I did it in their name, for them, for free and for the review. I posted this on their site and rather than see it as what it was (a supporting customer's gift), they deleted my topic and never answered to why. There's no reason for some things, but at least he said it's in the talks. Much more than I can say about 5 months of 10+hr days as a gift to the ungrateful.

Dan Prunier

Sorry for the off topicness for a sec, but - Bob, your avatar has been a favorite gif of mine for years. Have you seen the full version? If not I'll have to dig it up for ya.

Dan Prunier