Sign in to follow this  
JDLinn

What controls "next view" when you click W (FSX) ?

With some aircraft I have downloaded, when I am in the 2D cockpit mode and want to cycle to the next view ...the "main panel" does not show up, I usually get a normal mini panel then a very strange mini panel (that is obviously a home brew (not mine)) that somehow got into my system.So instead of seeing the 2D main panel for an aircraft, this strange minipanel is substituted.. I just downloaded a new plane today (constellation professional) ... there is no 2D cockpit, instead, I get this dumb minipanel again. I understand the different "windows" in the panel.cfg file and can add things to instrument view, etc. But when you hit the "W" key for the NEXT VIEW in 2D Cockpit ... what is controlling that? Where are the various "views" listed. I'm guessing that it may be back in the fsx cfg file somewhere? Attached is what I am seeing when I am using "W" to cycle to the next view ... this shows up instead of the 2D main panel ... which never appears. . Somehow something got "named" and is being used. It does not happen on every plane ... another I downloaded today works fine in 2D.Any ideas would be most appreciated.

rtmm_signature.jpg

I think W is for the reduced instruments to allow a view on the scenery. S ist to cycle the view categories and A is for the subcategory in those main ones. These are the default keys. If you add Shift to each command, you reverse the switching order.

Thank you, I understand that. But bring up the 2D Cockpit. Once there, you hit "W" to go to "next view", this usually toggles you to a scenery only screen, sometimes a minipanel and the 2D cockpit, changing each time you hit "W".. This should bring up the VC cockpit for me which is now missing on about half my planes. Instead of the cockpit, I either get a screen with only the "ahead" scenery or that strange minipanel you see up the thread. I'm wondering "what" controls "W" key ... I deleted the fsx.cfg file and let it rebuild, that didn't do it. So it is something hanging deep in FSX that I cannot find. What I need to know is where is the "programming" that shows the list of what comes up when you hit "W" for "next view". Doug

rtmm_signature.jpg

Additional information ...When I hit Shift 1, I get the following "error" ... No panel is mapped to the Panel 1 key combination (Shift + 1). The following panels are available in this aircraft: (Panel 2 (shift _2): GPS ... and this does in fact give me a GPS. So I have to find where you assign the panels to the key strokes. Where do you "map" these things ... obviously something is wrong in that area. Thank you.

rtmm_signature.jpg

Not sure if this answers your question, its all a bit confusing to me... but have you looked at the aircraft.cfg, in the aircraft folder, in camera definitions?(just under the [general] section)

I think Luke points in the right direction if this is caused by a missing view definition in the aircraft.cfg.For the keyboard commands, check C:UsersJDLinnAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSXControls and find a xml file. This defines all the keys and you can delete it or just choose the 'reset default' in the FSX options to get the standard layout back. Just in case something on that end was mixed up. If you backup the old Standard.xml, you can always revert back.For the general camera definitions, check the cameras.cfg in C:UsersJDLinnAppDataRoamingMicrosoftFSX.

If you define a "Minipanel" window in the panel.cfg file, it will be shown in the W sequence..

Bert

The 2D panel cycling tied to the "W" key is, I believe, hard-coded in the sim.It looks like you can change the key to use in the standard.xml, but not the process.Pressing "W" while in the 2D panel should cycle between the 2D, the minipanel, and no panel, it will not take you back to the VC.From your screenshot, it looks like you have added an addon minipanel, possibly the work of Bill McClellan, which is in the library.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif