Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cestlavie2010

cockpit 3x HDTV what size or 2x ?

Hello,I am building a cockpit full scale 1:1 2 persons. Now I have 3x 27" monitor on triplehead2go but because I have a iron construction for the overhead panel i cannot see about 8" of the middle monitor because it blocks my view....no runway....too bad. Looking for a good solution for that. 3x projectors are not option because of space and construction problems.1) would 3x hdtv work on Matrox triplehead to go on 3x 1920x1080 ?2) will there be any difference in quality compared to a monitor ?3) What size and number of screen would be suitable ? 3x 37" 3x 43" 3x 55" I will be sitting with my eyes about 3feet(1meter) away from the screens. (2 person cockpit, so each person will see:3 screen: captain left of middle screen fo: right of middle screen runway: middle of middle screen.2 screen: captain middle of left screen fo: middle of right screen runway: big in middle (more big then with 3x 27" because everything will become bigger)4) will 2x 55" be better then 3x 37" ? because of reality feeling ? (3x 55" wont fit...)5) I know for nvidia surround or 3d vision surround gaming I need two GTX580. If I am correct there are still problems with nvidia surround and FSX?6) 3D will possible not really work satisfactory : with 2 or 3 screens (different angles, and a captain and f/o both with glasses right ? I think I have to forget about that....too much possible issues. agree? Also 1080P x 3 D will be big issue because you need 120Hz and special checkboard mode on tv.7) any other advise ? will try to post some pics tommorowThanks for thinking with me...Remco

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

2 different TH2Go editions...one using VGA, the other using DVI. The DVI version supports higher resolutions than the VGA version (as well as WinVista/Win7). I do not believe the DVI version supports 5760x1080 (1920x1080 3x), but 3840x1024 (1280x1024 3x) according to Matrox.com. This means the TVs will only be putting out moderate resolution.nVidia Surround allows ultra-high resolutions such as 3x 1920x1080, as does AMD EyeFinity (the ATI alternative to nVidia surround). The difference is AMD allows 3 displays direct to single card (meaning single card surround view versus dedicated SLI solution). If you had dual AMD 6970s, you'd be able to run 6 screens (if you had the money and space), 3 off primary card, 3 off secondary card. If you're only running 3 monitors, all have to be plugged into primary card. You can use anywhere between 2-6 displays with ATI EyeFinity.As this is an on-card solution, the hardware that pumps out the video is the only limitation. Too many pixels to generate = low FPS.As for size, I would go with 55"-60" screens if you can afford. The overscan placed in front of your pit will allow you to lean forward and look down/up and not see your wall. The distance you place the screens determines actual field of view. 55" at 3' will look smaller than 55" at 1'. Also, look to get the smallest bezels you can find in order to limit the amount of black space between the displays. There are special thin-bezel screens on the market for video-wall type displays where the outside is extremely narrow and would be best suited for this type of use.The rest is determined by what you buy. A 3D TV hooked up to a nVidia/ATI video card that isn't compatible with how they generate video will disable 3d capability.For fit of screen, measure the dimensions of the screens you're looking to purchse, measure the outside width/height and actual screen width/height then make a mockup of cardboard, string the cardboard together as if you had the TVs and see what fits visually. You can have your cake and eat it too. Cardboard is a great test bed for measurements of things too expensive to try and not be satisfied with.