Sign in to follow this  
Sean Mitchell

Fsx cfg changes

Just bought the PMDG NGX, and part of the set up recommends a couple of cfg changes. After much searching finally found the folder where fsx cfg files are however there are two files, one a text file and the other that won't open (both called fsx cfg). Am I right in thinking I just need to make the changes to the text file and save it? Never done this before so apologies if this seems like a no brainer question.

The one you cannot open may be an fsx.cfg.bck or such file...??The text file you can open with Notepad, is the right one to edit.If you get it messed up, you can rename or delete it, and FSX will build a new onenext time you start it up.

Bert

I think the one he can't open is the one that says fsx.cfg, and he hasn't told windows what to open these files with. If so, you need to tell windows to open this file with notepad and then you can edit. The one you can edit with notepad already (the one that is a notepad file not a .cfg file) I think is a backup of your fsx.cfg, but I am not sure on this. Anyway, you want to open the one whose file extension is .cfg and edit that one as that is the real fsx.cfg.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

That's right, one opens automatically in notepad (text file), and the other one says windows cannot open this file because it needs to know what program created it. So I need to open the non text file in notepad, and change that one? Thanks for the quick responses.

Guest venustus01

Just right click and specify "open with".Use notepad and tick the box down below,"always open with notepad".

That's right, one opens automatically in notepad (text file), and the other one says windows cannot open this file because it needs to know what program created it. So I need to open the non text file in notepad, and change that one?Thanks for the quick responses.
There's no point in editing the file fsx.cfg.txt.This is just a backup file that FSX creates when it crashes or has terminated abnormally.What you need to change is the fsx.cfg file.Either:- Right-click on it, select "open with", and then Notepad. (also select checkbox "always open with ")or- Start Notepad, and open the file fsx.cfg (select "all-files" in the list-box)Rob

G'day,Do not know whether it is appropriate to jump on this bandwagon but I have a question regarding fsx.cfg. Have just installed Win7 ulitmate and FSX accellation. My frame rates in comparison when I flew with Win XP dropped dramaticly from about 23 to about 7.Changed to Win7 as people claimed it will gain FPS.Have a P6T mobo with i7 3.06 chip running gtx 285 display card and 4 MB memory. Also using 4 monitors, to on PC and 2 via USB adapters. But running 1 or more makes no diff inFPS.Does anybody can suggest a proper fsx.cfg setup for this rig? Have tried suggestions to alter certain items in the cfg file with no results. ThankscheersRichard

Cheers from Down Under