Sign in to follow this  

What were those lights in the western sky?

I saw it, I did.At about 21:30 hrs PST, Dec 8th. In the western sky at about 45 degrees above the horizon. They were too orange to be stars and moved ever so slowly. Smaller than the sensor resolution of my camera but I viewed them with binoculars. I even noticed tiny, tiny lights (missiles?)moving from one of the lights in a straight line. After several minutes one of the lights faded away and the scond one did shortly after that. Hopefully a missile test from from Vandenburg.

Guest mikehaska

It was around this time that a similar occurence was noted in the Pacific Northwest of the United States and the Southwest of Canada. Turns out it was a Russian rocket booster burning up in the atmosphere.I would assume this is related somehow, but if not, then a missile test or burning space debris would be a wise guess.

With no reference point it's difficult to guge distance.My wife thought they were over Burbank Airport 1/4 mile away.I explained probably ove the Pacific very far away and very high up.Other than the Space Station, this is the first time I've seen russky raketa!