Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chew

3-D glasses options for X-Plane 10

Does anyone use 3D shutter glasses with X-Plane 10?Would like to get either e-dimensional or Nvidia 3D Vision glasses to work under Windows 7.Trying to get a handle on what my options are, if there are any.Thanks!

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Nvidia 3d Vision only works with DirectX, therefore won't work with X-Plane (it's OpenGL driven). Not sure about eDimensional

Does anyone use 3D shutter glasses with X-Plane 10?Would like to get either e-dimensional or Nvidia 3D Vision glasses to work under Windows 7.Trying to get a handle on what my options are, if there are any.Thanks!
Doesn't look like anyone is usung eD here Charlie. I used it back when I had a CRT monitor, but haven't used it since my LCD is only 60 hertz refresh. Besides the cat chewed the wire into connecting the dongle to the computer.if I ever get a 120 hz monitor, I will solder the wires back, as 3D is amazing, Well worth the price. I see that XPlane has a setting for the e- Dimensional glasses, I would guess there is a learning curve to get it working, just as there was in MSFS. Well worth the work though.

Thanks guys --I'm pretty sure I could get my old e-dimensionals to work, but at a cost -- would have to be with Nvidia's old stereoscopic drivers, which only run on windows xp and which can't run on a video card higher than a Nvidia 7000 series, so the benefit of 3D would be outweighed by the performance hit.I think I'm stuck for the time being.Still won't stop me from picking up a copy of XPX, but I'm hooked on 3D, so FSX will likely still be my go-to sim for the foreseeable future.

I haven't checked the eD site in a long while, so ought to go have a look to see if they have anything different in the last few years.Unfortunately anaglyph glasses can't be used currently on X plane, (as far as I know), I too was disappointed a bit as I really like the effect.That being said, X-Plane, (IMHO), is well worth having. If version 10 is your first experience with the sim, there is a bit of a learning curve, primarely getting used to doing the about the same things we were doing in MSFS, just little diffrent ways.Nothing wrong, with doing both sims, I love the Maule in FSX, in sterographic 3D, with anaglyph glasses it is amazing.Try out the new nVidia drivers 285.32. With my particular situp I gained several fps in X plane. Be sure to set your vertical sync to off for xplane 10 and your anti aliasing to application controlled. below is a link detailing this statement.http://www.x-plane.com/blog/2011/12/an-awesome-nvidia-artifact/

I haven't checked the eD site in a long while, so ought to go have a look to see if they have anything different in the last few years.Unfortunately anaglyph glasses can't be used currently on X plane, (as far as I know), I too was disappointed a bit as I really like the effect.That being said, X-Plane, (IMHO), is well worth having. If version 10 is your first experience with the sim, there is a bit of a learning curve, primarely getting used to doing the about the same things we were doing in MSFS, just little diffrent ways.Nothing wrong, with doing both sims, I love the Maule in FSX, in sterographic 3D, with anaglyph glasses it is amazing.Try out the new nVidia drivers 285.32. With my particular situp I gained several fps in X plane. Be sure to set your vertical sync to off for xplane 10 and your anti aliasing to application controlled. below is a link detailing this statement.http://www.x-plane.c...vidia-artifact/
Thanks.Certainly didn't have any problems with performance with the XPX demo, but it's been some time since I've updated the drivers, so I'm sure that wouldn't hurt.I'll definitely be picking up XPX in a few weeks. Right now I mostly use FSX to review RW flight lessons. It'll be interesting to see what kind of a feel X-Plane gives to flight.

FSX with NVidia 3D glasses is just stunning, unfortunately not possible with in xplane using openGL instead of the world-wide standard DirectX API in gaming. But then, you get to fly xplane under LINUX and Android. now isn't that something.Yawn.gif

FSX with NVidia 3D glasses is just stunning, unfortunately not possible with in xplane using openGL instead of the world-wide standard DirectX API in gaming. But then, you get to fly xplane under LINUX and Android. now isn't that something.Yawn.gif
Thanks very much for your productive input!Hopefully you can drop by again.rolleyes.gif

it gets even more productive:if many users request 3D glasses support, it might get implemented in future updates of xplane10. 3D stereo support in OpenGL is possible, unfortunately in xplane10 just not yet. Had xplane used DirectX like "tons and insanely" many other games, it would support NVidia 3D stereo glasses right out of the box, no need for outdated anaglyph glasses. but someone at Laminar decided Linux, iOS and Android support was more important than DirectX.

Actually, the world-wide standard isn't DirectX, but is OpenGL. DirectX is only available on Windows platforms. If it were supposed to be world-wide, it would work on Linux and Mac OS, as OpenGL does.DirectX is easier to program in as MS has developed an API that makes a lot of shortcuts for game programmers and enables some really high-end graphics options easily achievable as compared to OpenGL, but that is because they can do that when they make the operating system DirectX is designed for. OpenGL is platform independent.

"Actually, the world-wide standard isn't DirectX, but is OpenGL"oh is that so? care for some precise quoting?"the world-wide standard DirectX API in gaming"we're talking GAMING here, not CAD/CAM, I thought we were clear on that."DirectX is only available on Windows platforms."you are absolutely right. Praying.gifONLY on Windows platforms. repeat: ONLY. and these contribute to ONLY 91% of the pc market, with Linux at a whopping 1.19%. In words: one point one nine percent.Microsoft be aware: land slide fall in Windows market share in September: 2011Down from 92.44% to ONLY 91.86 % last month.Linux climbed to a pinnacle from 1.11 % to 1.19%MAC OS from 6.45% to 6.94%http://www.bgr.com/2...mac-linux-gain/http://www.netmarket...re.aspx?qprid=9lets go fly and not repeat those silly windows-versus linux debates.

lets go fly and not repeat those silly windows-versus linux debates.
Exactly what you should have done instead of posting your rant.

"Actually, the world-wide standard isn't DirectX, but is OpenGL"oh is that so? care for some precise quoting?"the world-wide standard DirectX API in gaming"we're talking GAMING here, not CAD/CAM, I thought we were clear on that."DirectX is only available on Windows platforms."you are absolutely right. Praying.gifONLY on Windows platforms. repeat: ONLY. and these contribute to ONLY 91% of the pc market, with Linux at a whopping 1.19%. In words: one point one nine percent.Microsoft be aware: land slide fall in Windows market share in September: 2011Down from 92.44% to ONLY 91.86 % last month.Linux climbed to a pinnacle from 1.11 % to 1.19%MAC OS from 6.45% to 6.94%http://www.bgr.com/2...mac-linux-gain/http://www.netmarket...re.aspx?qprid=9lets go fly and not repeat those silly windows-versus linux debates.
I'm don't deny that windows is a major platform, but it is NOT something you can say is a standard. If Ford's were 91% of the vehicles on the road, would you say they set the standard for all other cars to follow? Maybe it's just that it's more available or affordable by the market. DirectX is not a standard that sets the bar for others to follow. It is a major player on the gaming market, but there are just as many games that are OpenGL compliant.You seem to follow Microsoft as if they ruled the world and made everyone play by their rules. This is not true. If the market shifted suddenly and Macs dominated the market, you'd see OpenGL being the "standard" and DirectX taking the back burner. The biggest difference between the two technologies is that OpenGL works on any system and DirectX forces you to use Windows.I, personally, am a Windows user that prefers FSX in most cases. Don't get me wrong, I follow where you're coming from, but the fact is that OpenGL is available on any platform (including Android, iOS, BlackBerry) wheras DirectX doesn't exist on the mobile platform. By making X-Plane OpenGL, they can make their product perform on any one of these platforms with minimal code changes. If they used DirectX on the windows platform, they'd have to develop 75% of a new program that also probably would be very difficult to keep cross platform compatibility between mesh, aircraft and anything visual. With the differences between OpenGL and DirectX, you have to choose one or the other. Gone are the days where you can let the user pick which runs best on their hardware.

"If the market shifted suddenly and Macs dominated the market, "please let me know when that has happened and I will go buy MACs and OpenGL machines only hence forth, because I like to go with standards."If Ford's were 91% of the vehicles on the road, would you say they set the standard for all other cars to follow?"at 91% marketshare it is much worse than a standard, it is called a "Monopoly""but there are just as many games that are OpenGL compliant."sorry , I must have missed those.C.O.D.: best selling game: 12 Million copies sold in first week (not exactly an OpenGL game),1 Billion worth of sales in 16 days.While Microsoft can not even dream of such numbers for all Flightsim versions in 25 years sold alltogether I am sure xplane10 can do it, after all it is platform independent and runs on mobile devices.http://www.ft.com/cm...l#axzz1gRvkcjSWhttp://www.bgr.com/2...-in-first-week/