Sign in to follow this  
xender

Hey pmdg, how do you choose wich aircraft to model?

That's my question. That's the process?Why you rule out a plane, and not other?If I ask for the 747-200, it will be discarded. but ... why?

Juan Ramos

That's my question. That's the process?Why you rule out a plane, and not other?If I ask for the 747-200, it will be discarded. but ... why?
PMDG have said that old airliners do not sell well as they found out with the MD-11. There will also do market research and see what the demand is for each aircraft.Aaron G.

Now that the OP's question has been answered more or less, and just to add a reply to Aaron's statement. It amazes me that the MD11 didn't sell well. I never had an aircraft blow my socks off as did the MD11. I never even intended on buying it, but for me it wasn't age, it was that 3rd engine just didn't fit into my personal tastes. Now, even after the NGX release, I will always fly it until a newer version replaces it. I also think it was the least buggy payware aircraft I ever owned. I also think a lot of others fit my way of choosing. I tried to push the MD11 on everyone I knew that didn't have it (still do), just so they can see what I mean about it's systems. Some of these people are just too close minded and say things like "I only fly Boeing", or "Airbus". Soon after learning that lesson with the MD11 I then bought the J41 (another aircraft that is just very much not my taste for simming). Yet again, a lesson learned and it has become one of my favorites.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

as they found out with the MD-11
I didn't know they had problems selling MD-11.Kind of sad, as MD-11 is the only PMDG plane that I currently fly (it's become my favorite plane).Mainly because AOA's tutorials, (my computer isn't able to run Js4100) and PMDG's eye for detail. Secondly because I can remember my father working on DC9, DC10s when I was a young :)Great plane! (If PMDG is reading, please fix the authorization bugs)Sorry for going of topic! Edited by JAP

Some of these people are just too close minded and say things like "I only fly Boeing", or "Airbus". Soon after learning that lesson with the MD11 I then bought the J41
You do make a great point!I just realized that I might be one of these people. This might be because, in real life, i've only been onboard a Boeing plane four times. Twice on 747 and twice on 777 (100+ flights onboard DCs and Airbuses).When I get my new system up and running, I have to buy the 737 and widen my horizon :) Edited by JAP

Well I should also make note that it's easy to be someone that resembles one of these people and a difference between one being close minded and one just not having time/resources. I mean we all have a certain amount of sim time, and our money for addons may too be limited. I use to only fly the 744. I wouldn't fly anything but it (2002 ish). I had thousands invested though in a home pit but even after trashing it still took a while to try something new. I'm just glad I eventually did :)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

The ability to diversify is so cool. I love the MD, I love the NG. I currently fly the NG more often mind. I fly warbirds, I fly MEL GA, I fly SEL GA, I have no restriction on what I wish to fly. I live, in that respect, the motto of our VA "Free Your Wings". I could never manage such diversification in the real world, and that I find is cool. Andrew

Anyone doubting the facination of the MD-11 should buy the ITVV MD-11 DVD. Ruud Bakker and Robert Lenz inspired me so much that I bought it for FS9. Some time after, I liked it so much I purchased the FSX version also. How's that for enthusiasm?im Not Worthy.gif lol

Dave Taylor gb.png

Now that the OP's question has been answered more or less, and just to add a reply to Aaron's statement. It amazes me that the MD11 didn't sell well. I never had an aircraft blow my socks off as did the MD11. I never even intended on buying it, but for me it wasn't age, it was that 3rd engine just didn't fit into my personal tastes. Now, even after the NGX release, I will always fly it until a newer version replaces it. I also think it was the least buggy payware aircraft I ever owned. I also think a lot of others fit my way of choosing. I tried to push the MD11 on everyone I knew that didn't have it (still do), just so they can see what I mean about it's systems. Some of these people are just too close minded and say things like "I only fly Boeing", or "Airbus". Soon after learning that lesson with the MD11 I then bought the J41 (another aircraft that is just very much not my taste for simming). Yet again, a lesson learned and it has become one of my favorites.
I make your words my own. That's exactly how I felt before. Don't remember why I didn't want to get the MD-11, but eventually, I bought it. Until the NGX release, it was my favorite plane by far. I flew everywhere with it, did half of IVAO's World Tour (30 legs) with this plane. The JS41 was the same too. I never saw myself piloting turboprops. They just wasn't for me. Suddenly, I felt a deep urge to try a turboprop, and bought the J41. I don't fly it as much as the MD-11, but it's a very nice plane as well.I don't have PMDG's 747, though. I'd like to buy it, but as Dan said before, the budget for some is quite limited. There are other airplanes I'd like to buy before, like the FSL A320, for instance. There are also other airplanes and utilities I'd like to purchase, most of which are almost being released.. I think I'll wait for an eventual PMDG 747 v2.

Matheus Mafra

Anyone doubting the facination of the MD-11 should buy the ITVV MD-11 DVD. Ruud Bakker and Robert Lenz inspired me so much that I bought it for FS9. Some time after, I liked it so much I purchased the FSX version also. How's that for enthusiasm?im%20Not%20Worthy.gif lol
1+ for that. Bought the ITVV Martin Air myself, its so good! Ruud Bakker does a great instructor job on the vid, its like being on ground school for an MD-11 type rating.My problem has always been the other way around, ive stuffed my hangar up with everything from PSS A3xx to Eaglesoft Citation X and Majestics DHC8 and the list goes on and on. I just love pushingnew buttons and learning new systems. Have to admit though, that ive spent alot of time reading manuals, but I only endure that part because my curiosity is a disease, it keeps irritating myselfuntil I finally figure out how stuff works. Thats how I finally managed to fly the Airbus philosophy in the end.The MD-11 was always my fav. Just love those three engine a/c. But then again, I love too many A/c.. my poor visa-card..rolleyes.gif

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Dvd's/Videos are a great motivator. Years ago (2000'ish) I bought the VHS tape for the Cathay Boeing 744. That was a great tape and since then bought it on Dvd. Sadly it pointed out lots not modeled in the Queen, but the ITVV Dvd in comparison to the MD11 was really great. After getting it, I bought a few other MD11 dvd's and there's a thread deep inside this forum somewhere about it and asking what others recommended. I ended up buying pretty much every dvd people mentioned :(

Dan Prunier

Here's the thread on the dvd's I mentioned above with mine and others favorites. Although I think I own just about every dvd I can think of, you should add your own to the list. I need to update this actually since I have quite a few 737 dvd's now and I think another MD11 other than the 2 I mentioned. Will need to dig them out and have a look.

Dan Prunier

It's a balance between what interests us and what we think will actually sell (we are a business after all). In certain cases it can work out that a less common airplane does well for us - the J41 is a perfect example. It's not at all a common aircraft, but there was really nothing else out there for FSX that modeled a turboprop at that level, so it worked for us. The fact that RSR actually flew them professionally was a big factor in making it, he'd always wanted us to do it since the company started.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Ryan. Thanks for your answer!I think a 747-200 would sell very well. Many people want pmdg to make a classic... and.. hey! its a 747 :(.Give it a try guys! maybe not a 747... but another steam gauge classic. You know you want it Ryan laugh.png

Juan Ramos