Sign in to follow this  
r_stopnicki

How to switch between COM1 and COM2?

I would like to ask for some assistance in understanding the management and use of the various VHF communications panels. I have read Chapter 5 of the PMDG-NGX-FCOMv2 but, unfortunately, I still have some difficulty.Here is an example:On a busy day, with lots of control, you connect to VATSIM/IVAO. There are Clearance Delivery, Ground, Tower, Approach/Departure and Center controllers.On COM1 (VHF-1), you dial in Clearance Delivery on the active frequency window and place the Ground Control frequency on the stand-by window.On COM2 (VHF-2) you dial in the Tower frequency on the active window and you place the Approach/Departure frequency on its stand-by.Finally, lets say you place the Centre frequency on the active of COM 3 (VHF-3).You start the session.You talk to Clearance Delivery on COM1 and when you are done with them you press the TRANSFER switch of the VHF-1 radio, this switches the frequencies in the windows and places the stand-by frequency in the active window and now you can talk to Ground Control.And here is where we reach my query. Once you are done with Ground Control and want to talk to Tower, how do you make the COM2 (VHF-2) radio the “active” radio so you can continue with your calls to Tower and Approach/Departure that you dialled into COM2 (VHF-2)? Or later on, the VHF-3?I am having trouble understanding the roles and configuration of the Radio Tuning Switches, the Transmitter Selector switches and the Receiver Switches to achieve these changes of radios.Of course, it is quite simple to keep inserting the next frequency in the stand-by window in VHF-1 (what I have been doing so far) but it is important to understand how these systems really work.Thank you for any advice.Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

I also use this procudure you're talking about. You have to push the second button from the left of those black rectangles above the volume switches (where you can also activate the marker sound, for the case it helps you to find the switches). They're below the NAV1 unit.(I know, not the best explanation, but I hope it helps at least a little)

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Hello, the audio control panel has two types of switches, one type controls the output, and another controls the input.In the top, the ones labeled MIC, control where the microphone signal goes to. You will see that these correspond to channels you can transmit on, that is VHF, HF, PA, Intercom and so. I believe this is actually where FS (and Squawkbox or FSInn or IvAp) takes its information about "active frequency" and I believe you can always only have one option active here.In the lower part, you have the turning buttons, that will allow you to select what will you hear in your headphones, or in flightdeck speakers. Note that there are more options available, including MKR or NAV radios. You can also select multiple communication radios to listen to, for example to listen to the TWR frequency while monitoring ground still (but you might get interference). Note that IVAO will not allow this. I do not know about VATSIM.

Thank you for the advice! I will check it on the weekend when there is a lot of controlRegards,Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

Note that as far as I know, you can't use the COM3 radio with VATSIM software (I have no idea about IVAO). Of course, normally in real world ops they use COM3 for company comms or ACARS as I understand it.

Steve Caffey

Thank you Geoff, great thread!Thanks Steve as well. First I want to get the COM1 and COM2 figured out!! Then I'll tackle the COM3 Worried.gifStraight Face.gif

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

r_stopnicki: I had it confirmed working today, IvAp changes active frequency based on which one you select on the audio selector panel in NG.

Ref COM3.FSX does not support a COM3. ( Only a COM1 & COM2 ).Many "Real World" planes do have more that 2 radios, but there is currently no way to support more than the COM1 & COM2 radio in FSX.Also, FSX does NOT support HF, or UHF radios.The ADF radio can potentially Tune (in real life) to the Radio Broadcast Stations, but there are no Commercial Broadcast AM radio stations, simulated in FSX.The only BROADCAST VHF Radio that I know of if as an addon, where one can tune to BLUE SKY Radio on your FSX COM1/COM2 Radios.---------------Maybe, in a future SP, PMDG can get the Sequencing error in the 737NG Radios sorted, now it has been brought to their attention.Should not take Brain Surgery - just a willingness to fix it.=================================For anyone interested, thers is a simle way to tell what Radios FSX "thinks " you have selected.(1) Join the FS-MP Multiplayer server ( via gamespy, or Direct Connect)(2) Join the session. ( spawned at a gate !! )(3) Monitor the FS-MP Server Status Page http://fs-mp.com/statusThere you will see your plane, along with the Radios that FSX "Thinks" you have selected.ie COM1 TX/RX only, or COM2 TX/RX only, or COM1 TX/RX monitoring COM2, or COM2 TX/RX monitoring COM1, or ALL OFF.(note: There is a 10 second update delay on the webpage, if you change your Radio selections, before you see the update on the webpage)PLAY with it -- you will see the SEQUENCING issue quite clearly !!!

Jason: I SWEAR your post was NOT there when I wrote that reply. Or maybe rather that specific line.