Sign in to follow this  
rquick

NGX FSX happy performance story

So... My performance experience with FSX was not good, With an i7 920 not overclocked, I don't expect miracles, but for me it was basically a slide show at a medium airport, with the NGX pushing it over the edge. To the point where the only way to use it was to change the screen resolution from 1920x1080 to 1660x900. And that's after going through the laundry list of optimum configurations/tweaks and FSX re-installs countless times. A few days ago, for reasons other than FS, I did an in place upgrade from Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I fired up FSX with the NGX just to see if it would run. A short flight from KBHM to KIAD. Smoothest ever. Changed back to normal 1920x1080 resolution and it was still good.A couple things at this point. I hadn't done the 'run as administrator' check boxes so my PMDG setups didn't save and UT2 didn't turn on. Turned them on and started FSX with the frame limiter (20). Not horrible, but jittery. Started again without the frame limiter and the smoothness was back. Checked frame rates in flight and they were bouncing between 50 and 70. That was just completely unheard of for my setup before. Set the FSX limiter to 30 (I know this isn't recommended) and was able to fly into San Diego in the rain with decent traffic, smooth as silk.What does it all mean? I'm not sure. Is Vista that bad for FSX? Did the W7 install fix something on my computer? Perhaps. I wanted to tell my story in case someone is frustrated with seeing people with similar or lesser systems getting better FSX and/or NGX performance, it really 'could' be an operating system issue. Now FSX/NGX seems to running about where it should be for my configuration (based on reading millions of threads on the issue trying to find the nirvana tweak). I don't know if re-installing Vista 64 would've helped my situation or not. But I do know that upgrading to Windows 7 64bit was quite a dramatic improvement, at least for me. I also don't know what to say about the external frame limiter as it's supposed to be better than the FSX one, but not in this case for whatever reason.I'm just happy I can now fly the NGX the way it's supposed to be... Cheers.

Something must be very wrong with your setup. with the specs on my signature, my experience is smooth. For example... the ngx on flytampa kbos? 20fps. on flight? 50. im running at 1920x1080 too.Something that can hit V-E-R-Y hard your system, is dpc latency. if you have spikes, that will kill your performance. By the way.. why you're running without overclock?

Juan Ramos

I have an i7-930 (not overclocked thinking about it though) and a 5870HD card and I also do not get great performance at busy airports with AI traffic in the VC. I followed what PMDG said to do. One problem is for some reason when I do the properties of my FSX icon it does not allow me to check "run as admin" So I just right click it and do it myself.I heard an external FPS limiter does help a bit? Anyone have a link on where to download that? I been looking with no luck.

I have an i7-930 (not overclocked thinking about it though) and a 5870HD card and I also do not get great performance at busy airports with AI traffic in the VC. I followed what PMDG said to do. One problem is for some reason when I do the properties of my FSX icon it does not allow me to check "run as admin" So I just right click it and do it myself.I heard an external FPS limiter does help a bit? Anyone have a link on where to download that? I been looking with no luck.
http://www.mediafire.com/?3v0mgdjkfdd0b0uThere you go m8 that is a good one

So... My performance experience with FSX was not good, With an i7 920 not overclocked, I don't expect miracles, but for me it was basically a slide show at a medium airport, with the NGX pushing it over the edge. To the point where the only way to use it was to change the screen resolution from 1920x1080 to 1660x900. And that's after going through the laundry list of optimum configurations/tweaks and FSX re-installs countless times. A few days ago, for reasons other than FS, I did an in place upgrade from Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I fired up FSX with the NGX just to see if it would run. A short flight from KBHM to KIAD. Smoothest ever. Changed back to normal 1920x1080 resolution and it was still good.A couple things at this point. I hadn't done the 'run as administrator' check boxes so my PMDG setups didn't save and UT2 didn't turn on. Turned them on and started FSX with the frame limiter (20). Not horrible, but jittery. Started again without the frame limiter and the smoothness was back. Checked frame rates in flight and they were bouncing between 50 and 70. That was just completely unheard of for my setup before. Set the FSX limiter to 30 (I know this isn't recommended) and was able to fly into San Diego in the rain with decent traffic, smooth as silk.What does it all mean? I'm not sure. Is Vista that bad for FSX? Did the W7 install fix something on my computer? Perhaps. I wanted to tell my story in case someone is frustrated with seeing people with similar or lesser systems getting better FSX and/or NGX performance, it really 'could' be an operating system issue. Now FSX/NGX seems to running about where it should be for my configuration (based on reading millions of threads on the issue trying to find the nirvana tweak). I don't know if re-installing Vista 64 would've helped my situation or not. But I do know that upgrading to Windows 7 64bit was quite a dramatic improvement, at least for me. I also don't know what to say about the external frame limiter as it's supposed to be better than the FSX one, but not in this case for whatever reason.I'm just happy I can now fly the NGX the way it's supposed to be... Cheers.
Only Windows update or also drivers?Bert Van Bulck

Only Windows update or also drivers?Bert Van Bulck
Upgraded the operating system from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate (both 64 bit). Windows 7 updates drivers if needed. The only driver I had to manually install was for the Realtek ethernet adaptor. Once online, windows detected about 45 critical updates which installed without any issues.

I also run with no Overclock, not for want though. Problem is I have read and read and read on it, and still not confident....and to make it worse those Overclock sites ridicule you for asking for help...the only reply I have ever got is.....if you don't know how don't do it. Seems they are just there to post stats, and not help or give starting points.

I also run with no Overclock, not for want though. Problem is I have read and read and read on it, and still not confident....and to make it worse those Overclock sites ridicule you for asking for help...the only reply I have ever got is.....if you don't know how don't do it. Seems they are just there to post stats, and not help or give starting points.
Yeah, a lot of opinions come up on that subject. For me, I just have to get around to getting a decent cooler. For the best ones you need to pull the MB to mount them. For modest overclocking the Gigabyte MB has nice utility that's pretty straight forward. I was able to OC fine, but the stock cooler just won't cut it. Hopefully someone will point you to a good tutorial, I know I've seen some good ones out there but I don't have the links.

I have a liquid cooling system, so I am sure that it wont be a problem, I would not want to go past like, 3.8, but something more than 2.9

I have a liquid cooling system, so I am sure that it wont be a problem, I would not want to go past like, 3.8, but something more than 2.9
I am in the same boat as you. Not a tech wiz, have an i-7-930 at 2.8ghz. My pc came with Turbo-V and my 5870HD card comes with a system to overclock also. Both make it look simple but I have no idea what I am looking at when I am looking at the options in the "overclocking" sections of both programs. Maybe one day when I have more free time. Right now I am getting decent FPS in my system. However had no luck with that external FPS limitor either. Had to open a .jar file but I either do not know how or do not have the right program to open a .jar file.