Sign in to follow this  
Malombroso

CLOUDS SETTINGS and Shadows

Hi. I would like to ask if someone can explain how the settings of clouds work. There are three settings, including transparency. Well, can please someone tell me what are the different settings for? Is the transparency setting a way to have a random percentage of transparent clouds (I mean, if I use the 100% solid then ALL the clouds will be really consistent, even the light ones, like cirrus clouds and so on? Or solid stays to indicate that the cloud won't let you see underneath when passing over it? Which are the most realistic settings for clouds?I would like to understand a bit more also the shadows settings. Which are the differencies in the different settings you can choose from? Is the overlay setting realistic or it is better some other setting?Thanks in advance.CheersS.

Welcome to the forum Malombroso,As you increase the settings for clouds, it of course generally thickens them, but also reduces the frame rates, someties quite signifcantly , particularly in using real world weather. I think one needs to experiment to see what is best on your machine and flying style.Personally I keep all the sliders to zero. For me, (and me only), this gives me pretty decent clouds without reducing my frame rate. In the end, I think its pretty subjective as to what to use. I find as I use a sim more and more, my tastes will change over time anyway.Shadows, for anything over overlay, It takes a pretty fast machine. Overlay is good enough for me, I can't realistically use anything over this anyway. Again it comes down to personal tastes and experimentationAll of the above is strictly IMHO. :-).

Here are the settings on my system which give great looks and still great performance.Detail 24%28% cloud puffs63% opacity

Here are the settings on my system which give great looks and still great performance.Detail 24%28% cloud puffs63% opacity
Probably that new 2 gig gtx 580 will keep them up, fps that isRolling%20Eyes.gifThose are good settings and from time to time I try different stuff.