Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Well here's the deal on Chart pricing

This really is too bad for not only us sim pilots but real world pilots as well.While I could see beginning to charge for digital products with the decrease of actual chart sales, the prices they are proposing seems excessive!

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Holy smoke! Those are outrageous fees proposed! Shocked.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I won't feel the hit for a while, as I mostly use paper charts minus en-routes. This is still a shame, as this is nothing more than a scheme to cover the inadequacy of NACO. The FAA should recognize the beauty of digital copies already and plan accordingly but in a way that doesn't kill off the other businesses. After all, part of their mission is to promote aviation.*AeroNav not NACO* Forgot that changed.On a similar note, the new sectionals are pretty sweet! Tear and water proof!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Well I guess when I fly online in my remarks section I will put "charts on bored=NO"

WOW Skull.gif . Yeah, that reallystinks.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Well I guess when I fly online in my remarks section I will put "charts on bored=NO"
Do you expect the US taxpayer (or someone else) to subsidise your playing online games?

Do you expect the US taxpayer (or someone else) to subsidise your playing online games?
Yes

It's unfortunate that companies that provide digital charts for their customers have to pay so much for the subscriptions! With all of the budget issues befalling Congress and the FAA it's a lose/lose for everyone.For us Sim pilots though it's not as bad, in my opinion. Honestly, think about it for a second... do Sim pilots really need updated Approach Plates on a regular basis? the MSFS database of Airports that are installed in FSX and FS 9 doesn't change or isn't updated via the Internet, so what's the need? As long as you have the appropriate Plate/SIDS/STARS for the Airport you're flying to/from then you should be set.Of course, if you're also a RW pilot, or have procured an add on Airport for the Sim that has been changed to reflect its RW counterpart then I can understand the need for an updated Plate.Am I missing something here? I'm very curious to find out...Alan smile.png

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

That's true you dont need them updated as often, but still, where are you going to get them? It would seem that at this point the FAA is saying we will have to charge 150/year per user. So it doesn't matter how many times you update, you're paying for a year. However, I am hopeful that there will be other pricing options to take into account people who don't need ALL the data. When you go into a FBO and buy your sectionals, you aren't buying ALL sectionals right? You're buying just what you need. The FAA should understand that there's an app for that, lol.

Noah Bryant

Yeah these ideas are a joke. Hopefully they never come to fruition. I'll just right off the ones I pay for as a business expense.