Sign in to follow this  

Eclipse jet -- interesting update on their site

They posted a link on their website to a Forbes article, which explained more clearly why they terminated their relationship with Williams. I guess the issues were twofold--not enough power, and the engines proved too fragile in relation to things like birdstrikes.But I have to question the issue on power. Certainly Eclipse did some basic research, and knew whether two 700 lb thrust engines would be sufficient. It makes me curious whether the Williams engines were weaker than expected, or whether the Eclipse designers had unrealistic expectations. I guess the talk is to replace the 80 lb Williams engines with larger ones--about 250 lbs from what Forbes says. This will cut the range, and the fuel efficiency quite a bit.Anyone following the progress of the Eclipse?Here's a link to their site:www.eclipseaviation.com

I do follow the Eclipse news intensly. According to Eclipse folks those EJ-22 engines were developing much less than the advertised flat-rated 700 lbs of thrust. They did not say how much exactly but apparently significantly below their specs. And also there were problems with some engine-related hardware.It does not look too good for the project at this moment. A new engine may completely change the final product ....Michael J.[link:jdtllc.com]http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

"A new engine may completely change the final product ...."Not only that, but Eclipse guaranteed the specs +/- 5 pct. But the concept itself is so innovative, if they really could find an engine which delivered the 700 lbs thrust that is close in size, their dreams of an "Air Taxi" service could really come true. Problem is, it'd take years to start from scratch and certify a new engine.Currently, I think the only remaining projects of similar scope are the Maverick, Safire, Mustang and Century jets. But the Mustang is priced in another league altogether. I think the Maverick would have the most potential, if it were factory built. I think it is the only one of the five (including the Eclipse) still flying.

>could really come true. Problem is, it'd take years to >start from scratch and certify a new engine.Well, the EJ-22 engine was not certified either. But there will be delay and final specs may look completely different. Not to mention with much heavier engines they may have to move the wings - the existing fuselage/aircraft may have to be scrapped - ouch !If so much depended on this engine I only wonder why they did not take a bit more time for engine testing and perhaps wait a bit to see how it matured. Michael J.

Another reason (apparently) was that the engines would not allow ANY field maintenance. For the smallest repair or adjustment they'd have to be shipped back to the factory which is clearly impractical (certainly for aircraft used more than a few hours away from the engine factory).