Sign in to follow this  
Tui737

Active Sky 2012 & NGX

I'm an AS2012 convert. I've been using REX with the ASE weather engine for a while now. All REX is is a bloated texture set. It takes 11 minutes to load textures based on your average weather conditions. Many of you seem to be holding out for REX Essentials, however, in my opinion, if REX Game Studios thought REX Essentials was going to completely revamp REX, they wouldn't be releasing it for free to existing users as an update.

Thanks for sharing mate, much appreciated.The " density 12 " tweak seems to be effective also within REX but the final REX result will come once the upcoming upgrade will be released.I see a good battle between REX upgraded vs ASE2012.
x2I am a REX owner and the 12 value works perfectly on REX as well.we shell wait and see once essential is out , it would be an interesting head to head battle and it only cost me 20$ as apposed to 55$ for AS2012.how bad could it go wrong really....the little added value that AS2012 "might" have over the REX Essential, not sure worth the extra 35$... well that is my opinion anyway.
I'm an AS2012 convert. I've been using REX with the ASE weather engine for a while now. All REX is is a bloated texture set. It takes 11 minutes to load textures based on your average weather conditions. Many of you seem to be holding out for REX Essentials, however, in my opinion, if REX Game Studios thought REX Essentials was going to completely revamp REX, they wouldn't be releasing it for free to existing users as an update.
well, I don't know where you basing that assumption on.I don't want to sound rude, but I think you threw this to fast. I know this is your opinion and you have the rights to, however what I was reading the REX Essential looks promising.I have seen many free updates that revolutionized the Original products in the past, so I wouldn't jump into conclutions yet, it's way to early doing so.As Frankfurter (Felix) once said"until the last line has been spoken, the curtains can not come down"

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

This should not be taking you 11 minutes. Once you select your theme and load it (the 11 minutes), deselect everything except clouds and sky. No reason to keep loading runway, sun, water, etc textures over and over again. Even on a marginal system it should go down to less than a couple of minutes.

Is it possible to use REX and AS2012 at the same time? I think I'll pick up REX since it's only $20 right now, and maybe AS2012 later. That free update you talked about there seems promising.
Of course it is possible. You can use some REX textures (eg water) and some AS2012 ones (eg clouds). As for the weather engine... it's your choice again.I have finally purchased AS2012 but I still use some of the REX textures that I like. Since I've paid for both it doesn't really cost me anything to keep them installed in my HD :(

x2I am a REX owner and the 12 value works perfectly on REX as well.we shell wait and see once essential is out , it would be an interesting head to head battle and it only cost me 20$ as apposed to 55$ for AS2012.how bad could it go wrong really....the little added value that AS2012 "might" have over the REX Essential, not sure worth the extra 35$... well that is my opinion anyway.well, I don't know where you basing that assumption on.I don't want to sound rude, but I think you threw this to fast. I know this is your opinion and you have the rights to, however what I was reading the REX Essential looks promising.I have seen many free updates that revolutionized the Original products in the past, so I wouldn't jump into conclutions yet, it's way to early doing so.As Frankfurter (Felix) once said"until the last line has been spoken, the curtains can not come down"
I'm coming at this strictly from a business perspective. Those of you who work in software development will no doubt understand. Software companies need one of two things to thrive: subscription revenue or license fees. If you're using a license model, once a customer has purchased the license, that's it. That customer will not continue to generate revenue. That strategy works only up until the point where the market is saturated. Once the market is saturated either with REX or its competitor weather software, the only way to generate more revenue is to release another version. If the market were predominantly saturated with competiting weather software, REX could choose to offer the new version to current users for free in order to generate goodwill. They would do it on the assumption that the non-user pool is sufficiently large to generate revenue. Furthermore, the strategy hinges on being first to market rather than falling on the heels of a competitors release. Otherwise, switching costs will easily outweigh the value differential. The worst case is when the market is virtually saturated with REX's own software (what percentage of simmers are using REX, would you say?). In that case, even IF the new version of the software (REX Essentials) is top notch and superior to the latest competitor releases, the only way to generate revenue is to require existing users to pay--even if if they get a discount. Keep in mind that the company must fund the development, and if the new version is really a revamp, the development costs can be substantial. Just my two cents.

make sense.Well my theory is that the release is to match the competitors product under the hope of dragging the last non user poolinto the pool (those who own niether or an older version of REX (Like REX1) / AS).one of their main insetive to drag those users was the crazy discount they offerd including the knowledge that an Upgrade is imminent (worked on me)I personally said to myself, once AS2012 is out , I am buying it.then came REX with their huge Discount and the promise of a newer version as part of the bundle (well maybe more like an R2 then a new release, but still).with the little added value that AS2012 might pose over REX Essential compared to the price.... I got REX a week ago.I belive that is where they are aiming, the combination of the two, attracting those who yet in REX2 or AS2012.

Joel Strikovsky

The texture install is much quicker with 2012 vs Rex. I would like to understand why? Both seem to have large databases.

is it faster also when you select in REX to inject only cloudes?

Joel Strikovsky

Trevor,I wouldn't be posting in this thread, but some drama has raised an eyebrow.REX has had many software upgrades since we started distributing our software a few years ago. Each new update, INCLUDING a new version-release was made available for free to existing users. We get asked "why" frequently after releasing.We've been truly blessed with the phenomenal success of REX, which continues even to this day. We get much pleasure from the feedback we receive from our customers, not only in regard to our software, but also in regards to our customer service. Most folks are not opposed to saving a dollar in this day and age - that's a good thing, no?Although it's not a large return for our company, it does speak volumes for our organization. We'll continue our efforts to provide our customers the most advanced technology available, without compromising the stability of our company, as you so nonchalantly noted.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Trevor,I wouldn't be posting in this thread, but some drama has raised an eyebrow.REX has had many software upgrades since we started distributing our software a few years ago. Each new update, INCLUDING a new version-release was made available for free to existing users. We get asked "why" frequently after releasing.We've been truly blessed with the phenomenal success of REX, which continues even to this day. We get much pleasure from the feedback we receive from our customers, not only in regard to our software, but also in regards to our customer service. Most folks are not opposed to saving a dollar in this day and age - that's a good thing, no?Although it's not a large return for our company, it does speak volumes for our organization. We'll continue our efforts to provide our customers the most advanced technology available, without compromising the stability of our company, as you so nonchalantly noted.
Trevor,Your company and software has always been at the top of my wish list, and I have been using your textures since you very first released REX 2.0. I have gone to active sky because of the weather, I am sure you will continue your efforts for the community and you should be extremely proud of your track record, your software and the fact you have changed hundreds if not thousands of the simmers experience in some way.Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I'm coming at this strictly from a business perspective. Those of you who work in software development will no doubt understand.Software companies need one of two things to thrive: subscription revenue or license fees. If you're using a license model, once a customer has purchased the license, that's it. That customer will not continue to generate revenue. That strategy works only up until the point where the market is saturated. Once the market is saturated either with REX or its competitor weather software, the only way to generate more revenue is to release another version. If the market were predominantly saturated with competiting weather software, REX could choose to offer the new version to current users for free in order to generate goodwill. They would do it on the assumption that the non-user pool is sufficiently large to generate revenue. Furthermore, the strategy hinges on being first to market rather than falling on the heels of a competitors release. Otherwise, switching costs will easily outweigh the value differential.The worst case is when the market is virtually saturated with REX's own software (what percentage of simmers are using REX, would you say?). In that case, even IF the new version of the software (REX Essentials) is top notch and superior to the latest competitor releases, the only way to generate revenue is to require existing users to pay--even if if they get a discount. Keep in mind that the company must fund the development, and if the new version is really a revamp, the development costs can be substantial.Just my two cents.
as tim has pointed out in his reply since rex has come out i have purchased it and when the rex o/d came out it was free update to those who had rex and cant see any change when the rex essential update comes out it willl be free as well. So i dont think they will change their policy on how they do their business to you way of thinking. just my two cents

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

This should not be taking you 11 minutes. Once you select your theme and load it (the 11 minutes), deselect everything except clouds and sky. No reason to keep loading runway, sun, water, etc textures over and over again. Even on a marginal system it should go down to less than a couple of minutes.
yea and if you deselect the water as well since you dont need to load them every time i got it down to to 4 minutes

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Tim, Keep up the great work. I'm an REX and ASE + AS2012 supporter. Both great products in their own right...! Almost, a Happy New Year to you all...!

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

I'm an REX and ASE + AS2012 supporter also AS2012 was imo a great purchase.

Rich Sennett

I'm an REX and ASE + AS2012 supporter also AS2012 was imo a great purchase.
I do agree even if I'm mixing REX with AS2012 now (the latter for weather and clouds) and I left ASE and ASv6 away. Recently I even spent some mony to try FS Meteo 8 (again after some years). However, the result is not so satisfying for me even if the program itself is quite small and handy. I principle it works good (e.g. in conjunction with REX clouds) but it cannot compete against both other product lines as it does not include the choice of selecting the matching graphics during the preparation of a specific flight.The result of the "mixture" is awsome (at least sometimes if FSX does not have its own ideas what to do with cloud coverage).

Regards,
Axel