Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

Computer won't turn on

Tonight I shutdown my pc to clean it. I went to plug it and it won't turn on now! I've tried several outlets; clearing CMOS, etc. At first the fans would spin for a second and nothing else. Luckily I still have tech support for anOther year at geeksquad: maybe a bad psu?

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

I have had that problem with an old PC. Does the computer momentarily turn on and you see all the motherboard lights turn on, then like a second later its off. Then you press the power and nothing happens at all. Sounds like a GPU. From my experiences.

Its not the gpu. I've tried 2 of them. The pc won't even power on. The fan spins for a few seconds that's it. No lights or anything. Im thinking faulty psu

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Just blew some air from a shop vac to clean the dust out. I didn't touch any thing inside

~Spencer Hoefer

Blowing the dust out with mini shop vac was a stupid idea, but I don't think that's the reason why it won't turn on. It still wouldn't turn on before that either.

~Spencer Hoefer

Have You tried unlug/plug all the MoBo connections (it should be 20pin connector and 4pin connector). Please try to power on without video card, without memory, without drives/optical drives - but not all at once. Does the PSU have any LED status? Does it lit?I was cleaning the tower some time ago and have similar symptoms (like I have not paid my electricity bills). In my case, replacing the Mem sticks from banks 1 & 3 to banks 2 & 4 solved the issue (bank 1 was the reason, I have RMA'ed the MoBo)

Well since I still had tech support plan left from geek squad I took it there. Hopefully it is something simple

~Spencer Hoefer

Well since I still had tech support plan left from geek squad I took it there. Hopefully it is something simple
Did you remove all of your RAM dimms?Did you make sure everything is plugged in fine?

No I just took it in the shop. I figured since tech support was free better take it in. I'll re post when I find out what happens

~Spencer Hoefer

Alright things just went from bad to worse. The computer turned On but immediately started smoking. Something isn't right. We shut it off and and trying to figure out what's wrong

~Spencer Hoefer

Alright things just went from bad to worse. The computer turned On but immediately started smoking. Something isn't right. We shut it off and and trying to figure out what's wrong
HelloYour PSU is fubar

I hope it's just the psu and not something worse. You don't think it's the mobo or CPU as well? If its just the psu I can replace that easily w/o worrying about extra expenses added.

~Spencer Hoefer

Did any capictators get knocked off the board by chance?Did you find where the smoke was coming from? That sounds like a dying PSU.