Hi All,as a very happy ASE(+REX for textures) customer I am, as many others, wondering about upgrading or not to 2012.One of my main concerns is : I use ASE on a networked PC, along with small addons like Ivap, the eye,... so that the main FSX PC is free of all the addons load.Question 1 is : as there seams to be textures involved in AS2012, is it still possible to do this and what consequences will it have on the use of AS2012 ?Question 2 : are there significatn differences in weather depiction between the 2 or are the changes mainly about textures, in which case how would it function in a networked setup ?Many thanks in advance

Yes AS2012 is network capable... textures are copied over the network to the FSX path when installing textures.There are hundreds of differences in weather depiction, we've been working on this for quite a while now and almost every area was touched, some minor things, some major things, all to improve weather depiction overall as well as performance and stability for all users of all types. As to "significant" that is subjective, IMO yes, very significant. Please stay tuned for input from others in this regard.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Yes AS2012 is network capable... textures are copied over the network to the FSX path when installing textures.There are hundreds of differences in weather depiction, we've been working on this for quite a while now and almost every area was touched, some minor things, some major things, all to improve weather depiction overall as well as performance and stability for all users of all types. As to "significant" that is subjective, IMO yes, very significant. Please stay tuned for input from others in this regard.
Hi Damian,I assuming that since AS2012 copy over the textures before FSX start, the network cost after that step will just be the normal Wx engine injection? Also, I am using REX, and REX also copy the textures before FSX but it [REX] takes awhile but it is a one time cost. Will AS2012 behavior the same, i.e. one time cost until you change your theme or there will be texture injection during flight?Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hi Vu,Everything occurs before starting FSX, nothing is updating during flight (for textures, anyhow). SO yes, one texture install, and you're set, until you want to change it.

Damian Clark

Hi Vu,Everything occurs before starting FSX, nothing is updating during flight (for textures, anyhow). SO yes, one texture install, and you're set, until you want to change it.
Thanks Damian,I plan to do this:1 .Install AS2012 on my FSX computer, create theme and copy to FSX2. Install AS2012 on my laptop, running the Wx engine only and create flight plan3. FlyFrom what I gather there should be no problem and back to what I have before, excepted that I am using AS2012 textures. Can you confirm?Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

There is no need to install AS2012 on the flightsim box.. Simply install it on your laptop and it'll do everything from there, including textures - assuming you've got your FSX path properly shared-out across the LAN.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

There is no need to install AS2012 on the flightsim box.. Simply install it on your laptop and it'll do everything from there, including textures - assuming you've got your FSX path properly shared-out across the LAN.
+1

Damian Clark

Sure. But since I don't plan to change theme very often, and if I want to do theme creation stuffs, then the planned 100 GB reserved is bigger than what's available on my laptop. Also I am still new to this, but I thought AS2012 talk to FSX via FSUIPC, so if I don't want to copy textures from laptop to FSX, I can still use AS2012 purely as Wx engine, flight planner no? I know I don't have to, I just want to know If I can. Judging from my experience with REX copying texture on the same machine, which took some times, I don't want to wait longer because of network bottleneck.Thanks

Vu Pham

This will work fine as you describe and makes sense given your situtation, but don't use ONLINE access on more than one PC or your license will deactivate. i.e. disable online automatic updates on the FSX-machine installation and don't download anything, and the other PC can download wx, etc.Also, AS2012 uses SimConnect, not FSUIPC, to interface with FSX for wx.

Sure. But since I don't plan to change theme very often, and if I want to do theme creation stuffs, then the planned 100 GB reserved is bigger than what's available on my laptop. Also I am still new to this, but I thought AS2012 talk to FSX via FSUIPC, so if I don't want to copy textures from laptop to FSX, I can still use AS2012 purely as Wx engine, flight planner no? I know I don't have to, I just want to know If I can. Judging from my experience with REX copying texture on the same machine, which took some times, I don't want to wait longer because of network bottleneck.Thanks

Damian Clark

Rgr many thanks for all the info Damian. A quick question : my secondary PC running ASE, Ivap, and all the addons is an old one, with an old 5400rpm hard drive. Will it severly slow the texture transfer or shouldn't it be a problem ? My main FSX PC runs a 7200rpm HDD, soon to be a SSD.

I don't see any problem here... Any bottleneck in texture install would most likely be in the network transfer to the other machine, but not a big deal either way unless you're running over slow wireless or something.

Damian Clark

Hi again Damian,as usual many thanks for you always prompt and precise answers !Both PC are connected via an ethernet switch so network speed should be OK then.I'll be most interested in knowing what exactly has been fine tuned in weather depiction.

This will work fine as you describe and makes sense given your situtation, but don't use ONLINE access on more than one PC or your license will deactivate. i.e. disable online automatic updates on the FSX-machine installation and don't download anything, and the other PC can download wx, etc.Also, AS2012 uses SimConnect, not FSUIPC, to interface with FSX for wx.
Thanks. Certainly.

Vu Pham