Sign in to follow this  
Bobber

Hat switch - ATC

Hi all,First off, thanks so much for reading this...I am new to the forum, and am brand new to XPlane. I have flown the MSFS series back to the Commodore 64 days, and decided to give XPlane 10 a shot. As you could imagine, it's taking a while to learn the interface and key assignments, but I'm really enjoying the experience and visuals.I had two questions though, and am hoping someone can help a newbie:a) I use the Saitek X45 joystick/throttle set and really want to use my hat switch to look around the cockpit (like in MSFS, in the virtual cockpit). The closest I've come is with the mouse in 3d cockpit mode, but I am having trouble finding the hat switch assignments for 3d cockpit mode. In MSFS I was able to use the hat switch to look around in fluid motion (within the virtual cockpit.) Does anyone have any suggestions?:( I know this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble filing a flight plan because it's asking for a route...can anyone give me an example of what you're entering in this box?Again, I really enjoy this sim. I was a tad set back that no airports had any buildings, terminals, hangars, even very generic...but hope some will be released. O'Hare looks deserted! ; )Thanks much in advance...Bob

Hello Bob,To set up your hat switch, go to Settingsjoystick assignmentsbasic buttons. The way this works click the switch or button on your joystick first, then click the button in the assignment sheet, you want that button to do. As an example I have set my hat switch that if I push the switch straight forward, it goes to View:3D cockpit command view. for left and right I push the switch in the direction I want then click the radio button General command pan fast right..You then continue in this fashion for the rest of your buttons. These view commands are a bit different in version 10 compared to version 9,The flight plan all you need to do is enter code for the airport in the departure box. Example Depart KPWA which is Wiley Post airport in Oklahoma City, in destination box enter the code of the airport you want to go to, Example KSHO, That's all you have to do, don't worry about the route field for right now. You will figure that out a bit later, we have enough information to file a basic plan, so hit file.

Thanks much, I appreciate your comments. Once you get to that View3D cockpit command view, do you then use your hat to look around in 3d? I have a feeling I am going to have to take some time assigning keys to fit my liking. Thanks!I'm also going to dig into the manual and read up, as when I press enter, and click on file a flight plan, I enter my departure/destination...press file...and nothing happens. When I press enter again the only option is to file a flight plan again.SO, looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks again for your assistance!Bob

The view 3D cockpit command look, will only do that with the forward push on the hat switch. to get the pan feature push you hat switch to the left then click the radio button for the General command pan left fast. It will be on the lower far right side. Then push your hat switch to the right, and then click the General command pan right fast. I prefer the fast but if you look in the segment above the fast group, there are options to pan slower. Now if you push your hat switch forward, your view will snap forward. if you push the switch right or left, it will pan in that direction respectively. For the back function of the hat switch, I use the option General command tilt down, but you can use whatever you desire. All eight positions of the hat switch can be used, but currently I only use the cardinal directions. Read the manual, and don't be afraid to ask questions on the forum. None of us was born knowing this stuff. Only one way to learn, dig in and do it. LOLFor filing a flight plan, mine was working fine last night, but I can't get a plan filed either, I just restarted XPlane 10 see if that did any good with a default plane, if not I am going to assume that beta 5 did that in. will get back in a bit.

Well my ver 10 now won't let me file a flight plan either. Must be the beta 5 that I downloaded because prior to that I could do flight plans. Wonder if anyone else is having that problem, if so they are probably about to have kittens by now.

OK Bob,I had to go back and review to get this right it is still working. After putting the plan information into the boxes and hitting file, you have to first have the correct frequency in your radio. Then hit enter again and the box will come up with request clearance click that with your mouse. If the frequency is correct control will come on and tell you what to do. Then you have to hit enter again, the box will say rea dback. click that with your mouse. you must do read backs, before you can proceed, and if you don't do the readback quick enough control will bug you to death.You can get the frequencies by goint to the map, click the airport that you are at, and a box will come up in upper right hand corner telling you the frequencies.Different airports will have diffrent procedures depending the class of air space you are in. Unfortunately X Plane doesn't tell you what kind of air space you are in, as far as I know. Write down all of the frequencies, as you will need them.If you are in Class D, C, or B airspace the order is generally as followsATIS says your weather infoGround gives permission to taxi and tell you where and how to taxiClearance Delivery will tell you the routeTower does the samein lieu of Clearence Delivery also gives permission the takeoff. Do not get on a runway without permissionIn flight you may have various controllers at different times. Each controller will tell you what frequency to use each time they hand you off.I. not instrument rated but go to http://www.x-plane.org/ They have a certified gentleman that gives lessons for free.very good, and a lot of fun.

Many many thanks - I really appreciate the info. I'm going to dig in and get this set to my liking.Happy Holidays,Bob